neat little additive synthesis trick for a classic sound

How to make that sound...
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Discovered this synthesis by chance.
If you add together 100 low amplitude 10-second long square waves that all differ in frequency by 0.01HZ
and range from 79HZ to 80HZ you get this effect sound.
WARNING! before you listen, turn your speakers way down first. This is the raw unprocessed sound.
it peaks at some frequencies.
They both sound even better when you reduce their pitch by 10 semitones in VLC or audacity.

In the first one "100Squares79to80HZ.wav" the waves are simply mixed together as described.
In the second one "100squares79to80HZ50Inverted.wav" Half the square waves are inverted before being mixed together with the rest. This was all done in audacity with 100 channels.

Pretty sure I've heard something very similar to this before. Does it have a name? if anyone can post an example of a similar sound from a youtube vid etc, that would be awesome!

attachments have to be a zip file :)
CHOOSX Remakes on my Youtube Channel

I have a zip, it is 1.2MB in size but the site complains about the file size being too big.
That's a shame, really wanted to share those sounds.

Upload it onto one of the 100s of upload sites available
Zippyshare comes to mind or mediafire but there's a lot of them.

Then post a link here

If I'd had to guess what it was gonna sound like I would have expected something like this and when you actually listen to it and see what's happening in SPAN it kinda makes sense.

Stull pretty cool tho :tu:

Cheers, Have got a big collection of sounds that can be generated by universal operations. There are too many to list here so instead I will have every sound together on one WAV file with everything timestamped and explained in a text file.
Currently working on programming an additive synth, so It will be included with that probably.

JSBach1685 wrote: Sat Dec 11, 2021 6:35 am Cheers, Have got a big collection of sounds that can be generated by universal operations. There are too many to list here so instead I will have every sound together on one WAV file with everything timestamped and explained in a text file.
Currently working on programming an additive synth, so It will be included with that probably.
Awesome man

Return to “Sound Design”