[video] Learning Audio series by DSPplug

How to do this, that and the other. Share, learn, teach. How did X do that? How can I sound like Y?
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

This will be a 30-50 part series outlining audio. I will first intro then go over more complex techniques and what it takes to mimic complex physics like compression, rarefaction and wavelength.

Ultimately, the engineer wishes to do one of three things:
  • Sound great
  • Sound pure/realistic
  • Sound like specific hardware/software
But that outlines a great deal of math and understanding. I will supply various methods to understand this and further in the series also supply the means or math to re-create such concepts for free.

I'll be providing an in-depth series of plugins designed to have no color that allow you to mimic distance, wavelength, and even multiple mics and cabs. I'd created a trigonometric gui for controlling proximity and direction/distance from mic. It's something that I can do for certain.

I'll even use math to re-create physics and provide those new calculations based on a custom maximiser.

You'll be able to choose from modern or vintage styles and methods like mid and side or stereo. I will also introduce textures, those that sound like the nice and the most gritty of gear so to allow you to create something that pops without too much confusing phase.

Edit: I edited part 1 which talked regarding two products having a rough sound. Instead, I'll make part 6 about neutral workspace, specifically going over the importance of picking the right sound to start with. A 'somewhat' smooth sound can be made to sound smoother or even rough and you have choice, but in innate gloss or roughness is there?

[part1]
https://youtu.be/FMj-IT5w0EU
[part2]
https://youtu.be/tCIenv0hqxk
[part3]
https://youtu.be/H96gz1HLOAs
[part4]
https://youtu.be/IecfoGzDrVc
[part5]
https://youtu.be/Gnc80hFFYg4
[part6]
https://youtu.be/v7iMti81aOo
Last edited by kingozrecords on Mon Jan 17, 2022 2:59 am, edited 4 times in total.

Wayching. Great so far.

James

Sorry. Not getting it. Appreciate the work you have put into this, but I am having trouble folliwing your points. You started off in vid 1 talking about audio quality falling in modern software and then explained graphics formats to prove your point?
Then in video two you said mono was two tracks. It is getting confusing.
I do appreciate what you are trying to do but I am having trouble following. Don't worry. I have trouble following lots of things.

James

airbrush wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 4:30 pm You started off in vid 1 talking about audio quality falling in modern software and then explained graphics formats to prove your point?
It fails due to the lack of object orientated detection. In other words, there is no file scanner allowing to say whether a file is indeed one track or two. It's a limitation due to the lack of readily available code examples making that possible.
airbrush wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 4:30 pm Then in video two you said mono was two tracks. It is getting confusing.
Correct, I explain mono is forced by DAW's into being two tracks. I explain that it is basically reduced in bit depth so as to cater to two tracks, rather than a true one track mono file.

It's a sobering realization of both the developer and the professional that you need to buy a very expensive daw so to cater to true mono. Don't expect it from the cheaper stuff.
airbrush wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 4:30 pm You started off in vid 1 talking about audio quality falling in modern software and then explained graphics formats to prove your point?
In regards to vector or image based software, they sound different, and yet there's no real gain to vector due to the math being done in the background (even harder on the cpu). If anything, a simpler image, a much simpler image like a gif made larger and downsized would be the most practical (if less colors). The reason this is relevant to the sound is the result of that data being processed. Why would they suggest that vector graphics use less memory when audio was less affected by images in hindsight? This is something to consider in regards to digital sound quality when using plugins. Why also when you consider that images were one of the first things catered to by operating systems, making their integration a nearly effortless matter.

The only plug-ins contrary I've used that don't sound different with vector are the valhalla plug-ins. They were made thoughtfully and they obviously thought of workarounds like limiting redraws and refreshing to avoid cpu draw.

:shock:

i use two budget daws, both have true mono.
samplitude and bidule for anyone interested.

> there is no file scanner allowing to say whether a file is indeed one track or two

Right-click, view properties. A decent OS shows you the nr of channels. The info is surely there in any WAV header.
We are the KVR collective. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. Image
My MusicCalc is served over https!!

BertKoor wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 10:37 pm > there is no file scanner allowing to say whether a file is indeed one track or two

Right-click, view properties. A decent OS shows you the nr of channels. The info is surely there in any WAV header.
Yes, I've noticed the same; I've often wondered about why it's so hard also. It's something that most could do with code afterall.
vurt wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 10:35 pm i use two budget daws, both have true mono.
I own samplitude, but have never used it. Nver heard of bidule. Maybe I'll learn about them. Thanks for the tip.

kingozrecords wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 2:52 pm
BertKoor wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 10:37 pm > there is no file scanner allowing to say whether a file is indeed one track or two

Yes, I've noticed the same; I've often wondered about why it's so hard also. It's something that most could do with code afterall.
vurt wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 10:35 pm i use two budget daws, both have true mono.
I own samplitude, but have never used it. Nver heard of bidule. Maybe I'll learn about them. Thanks for the tip.
in basic stereo mode (not surround) a track can be mono, mono/stereo fx, or stereo.
right click on the track for options.

if the data type in flowstone is float array in each channel, you could compare them and see the result, if it's 'mem'(memory) it's harder to do a comparator and I'm not exactly sure how to do that, unless your sample counter over the 'mem' is running

nix808 wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 3:09 pm if the data type in flowstone is float array in each channel, you could compare them and see the result, if it's 'mem'(memory) it's harder to do a comparator and I'm not exactly sure how to do that, unless your sample counter over the 'mem' is running
Yes indeed. Or also just equals could also work with code too.

yeah equals in dsp will only work on a sample by sample basis if the audio is running through it, imo it's not a correct analysis, a stereo file may be equals sometimes. It's not really an option a simply as that. It is however possible to create a mem in the dsp codebox I think, but I don't remember having ever seen the 'memin' pin. It's not as simple as a memin pin, after having checked- but I think we can manipulate mems with DSP codebox somehow

keep working hard like you r- it seems u really are progressing far beyond me with some of the dsp concepts u seem to be turning over. Just small caution on becoming overconfident of the superiority of ur ability. I don't mind, don't seem no harm

Cheers Penetanguishene

nix808 wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 9:57 pm yeah equals in dsp will only work on a sample by sample basis if the audio is running through it, imo it's not a correct analysis, a stereo file may be equals sometimes. It's not really an option a simply as that. It is however possible to create a mem in the dsp codebox I think, but I don't remember having ever seen the 'memin' pin. It's not as simple as a memin pin, after having checked- but I think we can manipulate mems with DSP codebox somehow

keep working hard like you r- it seems u really are progressing far beyond me with some of the dsp concepts u seem to be turning over. Just small caution on becoming overconfident of the superiority of ur ability. I don't mind, don't seem no harm

Cheers Penetanguishene
Yes, it's easy to get over confident after studying a while. I've seen that monster in many. But I'll try to keep it at bay. And yeah; in regards to stereo I was meaning on the fly rather than all in one shot. The memory hack is not a bad idea. Not sure that other programs would have the same.

sounds like comparing the streams is what u want then.
I found this module, which will tell the .wav file creator's format:-
mem info.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

nix808 wrote: Sat Jan 01, 2022 8:17 pm sounds like comparing the streams is what u want then.
I found this module, which will tell the .wav file creator's format:-
mem info.png
Ah, this is perfect thankyou. I'd been busy; sorry for the late reply.
Updated the series with number 6 also. Next will be some tutorials and some sugestions for rare effects that are hard to find.

Return to “Production Techniques”