If I could Only - Pop Ballad, Piano and Female Vocal

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
Paul881
KVRist
Topic Starter
70 posts since 22 Oct, 2002 from Rose of the Shires, UK

Post Mon Jan 17, 2022 12:28 am

eassae wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 6:56 am
Paul881 wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 3:24 am As ever, would be interested in any constructive comments. Thanks!
Sounds great, nice work :tu:
Thank you and for your comments and advice which lead me to this point! :tu:
Music is the food of the soul!

Paul881
KVRist
Topic Starter

Post Mon Jan 17, 2022 12:31 am

shawshawraw wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 8:24 am I love the new mix!! Love how the vocal energy is leading the story now. And somehow the song feels faster too (I know it's not)!
Thank you for your response and good to know you can sense the change. And you are right, I did not change the tempo of the song!

donkey tugger
Boss Lovin' DR
10473 posts since 15 Mar, 2002 from the grimness of yorkshire

Post Mon Jan 17, 2022 1:20 am

Nice song that.

On the mix there's very little bass on the piano and there's a lot of build up in the mids which is together are contributing to the more strident sound.

Hope you don't mind - recorded a bit and had a little tinker. Huge boost below about 100hz and a very broad but shallow cut centred around 1khz. Think it makes it a bit clearer and softer sounding. Of course I am frequently wrong... :hihi:

http://www.bennyleeds7.myfreeola.uk/ificouldonly.mp3

Paul881
KVRist
Topic Starter

Post Mon Jan 17, 2022 2:56 am

donkey tugger wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 1:20 am Nice song that.

On the mix there's very little bass on the piano and there's a lot of build up in the mids which is together are contributing to the more strident sound.

Hope you don't mind - recorded a bit and had a little tinker. Huge boost below about 100hz and a very broad but shallow cut centred around 1khz. Think it makes it a bit clearer and softer sounding. Of course I am frequently wrong... :hihi:

Wow, many thanks for doing this, very much appreciated! Interesting that you have boosted where I had cut @ sub-100Hz whilst increasing the cut in the mids around 1Khz. I'm not in the studio today but will listen to your mix when I'm back in tomorrow and will report back.

Thanks again for listening to this and for your suggested changes to the EQ.

p.s. I am assuming you did this to the Remix version?

donkey tugger
Boss Lovin' DR
10473 posts since 15 Mar, 2002 from the grimness of yorkshire

Post Mon Jan 17, 2022 9:59 am

Paul881 wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 2:56 am

p.s. I am assuming you did this to the Remix version?
Sorry, yes it was the remix one.

metadul
KVRer
5 posts since 11 Jan, 2022

Post Mon Jan 17, 2022 11:05 am

It's a great song making me calm...Amazing! Continue doing what you like and one day the whole world will know about you.

Googly Smythe
KVRAF
3343 posts since 12 May, 2011 from Everywhere and nowhere, baby

Post Mon Jan 17, 2022 5:21 pm

Good song, good vocal performance. Not enough reverb on the vocal (but then, I didn't think the Cocteau Twins had enough reverb on the vocal!).
BitChute
SoundCloud
What is life without a little whimsy?

Paul881
KVRist
Topic Starter

Post Mon Jan 17, 2022 9:43 pm

metadul, Googly Smythe, thank you both for your comments which are much appreciated. GS, your comments on reverb are noted but I think I'll stick with them as they are as others (not here) have indicated that they are either a tad too much or just right. Always tricky to get it to please everyone!

Paul881
KVRist
Topic Starter

Post Wed Jan 19, 2022 6:47 am

donkey tugger wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 1:20 am Nice song that.

Hi Donkey Tugger (great nick BTW!), I've now had a chance to listen to your changes....and you are right about the piano bass. 8) I had cut from 235Hz which took all the piano lower end out. Which is the reason why you had to give a big boost to bring what bass was left, up to a reasonable level. So all I have had to do now is just start the cut to just below 100 which brings the piano low-end up nicely.

In terms of the piano mids, I had a cut of 3.35 db centered at around 900Hz meaning a spread of 1.8 octaves so I have increased the cut to 5.5db with a slightly increased scoop out of the vox between 700-5kHz to reduce sibilance and make it less strident.

I'm now trying to reduce the vocalist's breathiness at the end of certain phrases but I need to be careful otherwise it takes the character of the performance away. I'll post when I've made all the changes so you can have a listen.

Thanks again for spotting the need to make these changes, all comments much appreciated. :D :tu:

Paul881
KVRist
Topic Starter

Post Wed Jan 19, 2022 11:01 am

Here is the final version with the changes made as a result of suggestions from a number of super people here:
https://soundcloud.com/stablegate_music ... al_sharing
Thanks to all! :D

Return to “Music Cafe”