Best free vst synths?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

All the U-he vsts (demo versions) are good.

When you've spent as embarrassingly much money as I have over the last 20+ years on software, it becomes hard to justify using freeware.

That said, I do currently have (and use) Vital. I think it's very well-done and mostly on-par with other wavetable synths, even though I do have my personal preferences over it. (But I love wavetables and have almost all of the synths that use them.)

I may also have disqualified myself, because I paid for the "full" version of Vital.

So ... maybe my answer is technically "none?"

I don't have any other free synths installed at the moment. I do have a few free effects, but that wasn't the question.

I do think there are several free synths out there that are really quite good, though, again: they just aren't necessary if you have a large collection of commercial software. Alas. :S

Bla28 wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 2:37 pm Logic Pro stock plugins. Alchemy sounds pretty good.
Not free, and not VSTs. I applaud you for a wonderful performance.
I hate signatures too.

:lol:
EnergyXT3 - LMMS - FL Studio | Roland SH201 - Waldorf Rocket | SoundCloud - Bandcamp

Super Piano Hater 64 wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 6:31 pm
Bla28 wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 2:37 pm Logic Pro stock plugins. Alchemy sounds pretty good.
Not free, and not VSTs. I applaud you for a wonderful performance.
It's a virtual instruments that easily replicates sounds from Serum or Avenger without a single problem. Not my problem you are not on MAC :)

Bla28 wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 6:55 pm You might want to do you research of what Alchemy is. You can pretty much replicate sounds from Serum or Avenger without a single problem.
I'm well aware. It's a very good not-VST.
I hate signatures too.

Super Piano Hater 64 wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 6:57 pm
Bla28 wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 6:55 pm You might want to do you research of what Alchemy is. You can pretty much replicate sounds from Serum or Avenger without a single problem.
I really don't care what you qualify as vst, to me Alchemy is the best free synth on the market.

Bla28 wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 6:58 pm
To me it is.
Right, we both agree it's very good.

It is still definitely not a VST.

Posted from my Mac.
I hate signatures too.

Super Piano Hater 64 wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 7:01 pm
To me it is.
Right, we both agree it's very good.

It is still definitely not a VST.

Posted from my Mac.
mine is a vst :o

I really don't care what you qualify as vst, to me Alchemy is the best free synth on the market.
you might not care about what qualifies as a vst, but your definition of free is "wrong".
comes bundled with a host on a reasonably expensive platform only, people seeking "best free synths," are rarely budgeting a couple of grand minimum.

OP wrote:Best free vst synths?
:dog:

Bonus reply, since you keep editing your posts after I reply to them:
Bla28 wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 6:58 pm I really don't care what you qualify as vst, to me Alchemy is the best free synth on the market.
It's a VST if it's in VST format.

I did forget that you can use it in a limited form as part of GarageBand, which a lot of people get "for free," but it has never been both free and a VST at the same time. Same deal with the old Emagic plugins that are built into Logic.
I hate signatures too.

chk071 wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 7:09 pm
OP wrote:Best free vst synths?
:dog:
shame it wasn't just "best free synth" i reckon i could have done well with a couple of the hardware freebies, or even gifts :o
i didn't pay for them so they're free! :lol:

Nova_Sound wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 5:50 pm Any recommendations welcome!
Since you're new to the world of synths, why do you think you need THE BEST? Why not pick one that's easy to understand and helps you learn the basics?

And if you're using a daw, maybe try mastering all the built in tools first?

yessongs wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 8:16 am
Synth1
vital
pendulate
odin
obxd
sonatina orchestra
spitfire free stuff
NI start
UVi free stuff
kong audio free stuff
surge