How to make these Radiohead synth sounds

How to make that sound...
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hello!

I’m new to sound design and am trying to learn by recreating sounds from records I like. I’ve had a go at recreating these two synth sounds using Diva, and they both sound a bit dull/flat compared to the original.

Can anyone with better ears give me any tips on how get closer?

Packt Like Sardines in a Crushed Tin Box: https://tinyurl.com/ysjxx46p

Everything In Its Right Place: https://tinyurl.com/2ef3a3kv

I’ve included snippets of the original alongside my attempt for easy A/B comparison.

Thanks a lot!

:)

The first one is pretty good if you ask me it's mainly the beat that needs work which will make the whole sound better and the volume of yours seemed a little quieter so that gives the false impression that yours isn't as good.

The 2nd you have no attack on the sound and sustain all the way up so it sounds a bit monotone if that makes sense. there's les expression and the original has a bit more attack.

But both sound pretty good man !
Last edited by CHOOS on Mon Jan 17, 2022 7:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CHOOSX Remakes on my Youtube Channel

Thanks for your response! Yes you're right, the second one does sound more monotone. I can see that playing with the filter envelope helps with that as well... :)

kylltryk wrote: Sat Jan 01, 2022 3:32 pmCan anyone with better ears give me any tips on how get closer?
Everything...: Keep in mind the original was made with a Prophet-5, so five voices only. Maybe I'm wrong, but to my ears your chords don't sound 100% identical.

I made a very close reproduction many years ago (at least in my memory :lol:), unfortunately I don't know on what CD/harddisk it is.

Rastkovic wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 1:52 pm Everything...: Keep in mind the original was made with a Prophet-5, so five voices only. Maybe I'm wrong, but to my ears your chords don't sound 100% identical.

I made a very close reproduction many years ago (at least in my memory :lol:), unfortunately I don't know on what CD/harddisk it is.
Always happy to learn :)

If you ever come across it (your reproduction) then I'd love to hear it!

kylltryk wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 6:17 pm
Rastkovic wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 1:52 pm Everything...: Keep in mind the original was made with a Prophet-5, so five voices only. Maybe I'm wrong, but to my ears your chords don't sound 100% identical.

Always happy to learn :)

If you ever come across it (your reproduction) then I'd love to hear it!
Unfortunately the chances are not very high. I made it possibly in the 2000s, back then with Cakewalk Sonar.

Anyway, the sound is rather simple. I would start with a single sawtooth, it's all about the chords/notes.... and note lengths and envelopes and mod amounts.

In the Repro-5 factory library is also a preset called HS-Everything-Pad, made by Howard Scarr. That's just a sawtooth + triangle wave, mixed 50/50 without detuning.

To make it sound less "dull", also don't forget to use compression. The processing is just as important, as the synth sound design itself.

kylltryk wrote: Sat Jan 01, 2022 3:32 pm any tips on how get closer?
Yo dude.

For "Everything" I'd use a tight room reverb to give it fullness. And some chorus for a stereo feel. I like Valhalla for this stuff. Their Vintageverb and Ubermod are fantastic for this job. Try a drum room just for a little more dimension, and the Ubermod for added width and feel, mix to taste. Some of the basic presets will get you there no doubt. The 'real' one uses a Prophet synth btw, one of the modern ones. Probably a rhodes patch on that Prophet is close, and then add those 2 plugins or similar...

Pakt has a little more clarity and presence on their recording. I use Saturn for that, a little saturation can add some clarity in the mids and give it some sheen. Again, some subtile dimension like from chorus, to double and thicken the signal. Likewise, remember they’ve go the nice big studio setup so they’re probably doing stuff like putting things through an amp to get some room sound. So use of a little convolution reverb or tight room reverbs as well should add a little more life and dimension into electronic sounds. Oh and.... theres not just room IRs but also amp IRS so how about putting that sound through a clean fender amp IR for example?

Anyways hope thats of some value to you.

Last edited by Synthack on Sun Feb 13, 2022 10:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
.... ...

Thank you for starting this thread and letting other newbies find out more about sound design.

You'll wanna tweak it a little further but it's not too bad if I say so myself for doing all in the one vst.

https://rumble.com/vss4z1-radiohead-eve ... sound.html

I would definitely try a different drive plugin for different flavours. I can hear drive in it but Vitals isn't the perfect match and the reverb could use some work etc.

I forgot to save the midi but you have it.

Vital preset
KY - Everything In Its Right Place.zip
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
CHOOSX Remakes on my Youtube Channel

Alex Ball recreated the sound on an original Prophet-5, @1:21.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DvRv0TlMI5M&t=81s

Rastkovic wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 3:00 am Alex Ball recreated the sound on an original Prophet-5, @1:21.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DvRv0TlMI5M&t=81s
It's funny, the Super 6 doesn't sound how it looks, or doesn't look how it sounds. :lol:

Return to “Sound Design”