Why do you dislike Arturia VSTs?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic

Why do you dislike Arturia VSTs?

Their VSTs are bloated, take long to load and consume a lot of RAM.
44%
Their VST re-creations of classic synths sound nothing like the originals.
17%
Their synth presets sound mostly sh*te / are nothing I could use.
10%
Some of their VSTs have a gamey UI.
10%
Their VSTs sometimes crash my DAW.
4%
All of the above.
7%
All of the above plus something not mentioned here (please comment).
9%

Total votes: 199

RELATED
PRODUCTS

Examigan wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 6:25 pm
Introspective wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 6:11 pm
OTOH, I do think Chiptunes OPS7 is a "better-sounding" emulation of the DX7.
Actually it's chipsynth OPS7 not chiptunes. :)
DAMMIT! [makes furious fist]

I always get that wrong. :| Sorry/thanks.

My opinion the synths r prob pretty good. But i actually owned a V Collection but i sold it. I never used it. It was prob because the GUI are pretty boring. Its prob bit boring gui of the synths. Its like nothing extra in it. But the synths r prob very good! I dont know realy. BUt its a tip from me. I dont know what others think but its my opinion because i never used the V Collection.

Last edited by Synthack on Sun Feb 13, 2022 10:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
.... ...

I meant i dont relay know why people dont like it!?

And my opinion was mybe its bit boring UI? That was why i dident use it. Anything else?

Last edited by Synthack on Sun Feb 13, 2022 10:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
.... ...

something more?

Last edited by Synthack on Sun Feb 13, 2022 10:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
.... ...

sure il let you know.

dident work to paste a image of a troll.

Think he looked cool :)

Last edited by Synthack on Sun Feb 13, 2022 10:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
.... ...

hahaahha lol!

Edouard Arturia wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 11:04 am Hello.
I'm Edouard, V Collection & Pigments product manager .
A bit surprised by the poll, not much room for love, but I guess it's fine like this.
At least I can expect to find some relevant criticism maybe? So I jumped in to check if some useful information could be gathered to continue improving our instruments and utilities.

Thanks to those who wrote constructive remarks, I'm taking good notes.

For the more vague remarks, I can't really help if someone says it sounds bad... As I don't know which instrument you are talking about, or even which parameters.

If you like wanting to share, feel free to refine your sayings if you have a precise idea of what you feel is wrong. If it's about the sound, are talking about the newer instruments or the old ones? (note that there are 15 years since our first emulations and the most recent onces, thus the fact that we are updating the instruments as much as we can since 2019.
Do you have precise parameters on which you think it's not on the point?
Did you compare to the original machines or is it simply a guess?
Feel free to let me know :)
Best
Edouard
Hi Edouard,

This is my first contribution to this Arturia thread and I appreciate your invitation for "constructive feedback". I will offer you my fair unbiased first hand experience and opinion...

I am an Arturia customer and have previously purchased both hardware and software from your company, including two external MIDI controllers and also Arturia Pigments and V Collections.

From my experience with your products, I have absolutely no complaints with the hardware. Both keyboards are excellent quality and I am very satisfied with them.

On the software side of things, unfortunately, there is one aspect which has made me decide to sell all my Arturia licences, with no intentions on purchasing further software from you in the future. I have just recently sold V Collection 8 and am currently in the process of also selling Pigments 3 (and I will commend you on your simple and efficient product licence transfer system).

However, I would like to help you understand my thinking, so you might improve your products in the future, My decision to move away from Arturia's software was not primarily 'sound quality-related', but rather, far more 'performance-related'.

Specifically, my decision was prompted because of the poor (i.e. extremely slow) loading performance and 'instantiation' of Arturia plugins, as directly-compared to almost all other developer plugins that I own (which include the likes of: u-he (I own all their synths), Kilohearts, Synapse Audio, Modartt, Disco DSP, Fabfilter, etc.)

The thing which both frustrated and infuriated me the most regarding Arturia's plugins is the unnecessary 'lag/delay' after the plugin first instantiates in the DAW before being fully authorised for use by the ASC (i.e. the background ASC process that is launched every time an Arturia plugin is loaded.) Since all my other plugins load lightning fast with zero delays (and no additional background processes required), the ASC lag for Arturia plugins was extremely noticeable and infuriating to me.

i.e. Waiting for my loaded, yet 'frozen' (for sometimes up to ten seconds) plugins to be 'okayed' by the ASC each and every single time they are loaded in my projects, is something I find completely unacceptable as a paying customer and was not something I had anticipated for, when I initially purchased them.

As such, I regard the plugin loading delay caused by 'ASC' with almost as much distain as I hold for many 'iLok' systems I had encountered previously. I have experienced both systems eliciting similar detrimental loading/instantiation performance issues for plugins as such both iLok and ASC are now on my personal embargo list for products to never again purchase.

And you don't even want to know what I have to say about the incredible slow-down ASC causes to DAWs' fresh plugin scans. I can literally scan and verify well over a hundred other developer's plugins in a tiny fraction of the time that it takes for ASC to extremely slowly authorise a fraction of that amount, for all the (already activated) plugins contained within V Collection. i.e. V Collection takes around 4 or 5 times longer to scan than all my other plugins combined together.

In conclusion, if Arturia were able to somehow eliminate the poor performance of the ASC slowing down the loading and 'instantiation' process of Arturia plugins within projects (and note: I thoroughly tested this in multiple different DAWs, so I know it is not a DAW-specific issue), then I might possibly consider purchasing from your company once again.

But I would need absolute reassurance first and proof that this longstanding 'lag' issue that plagues Arturia software had been fully remedied beforehand. Otherwise, I will continue down my current path of soon-to-becoming an ex-customer of Arturia software.

Thank you.

I think they are too expensive to buy individually but most of what's in the collection doesn't interest me, so paying for the lot when I will only use one or two is even more expensive. Analog Lab is pretty good, though.
Last edited by BONES on Tue Jan 18, 2022 3:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

MrJubbly wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 12:16 am The thing which both frustrated and infuriated me the most regarding Arturia's plugins is the unnecessary 'lag/delay' after the plugin first instantiates in the DAW before being fully authorised for use by the ASC (i.e. the background ASC process that is launched every time an Arturia plugin is loaded.) Since all my other plugins load lightning fast with zero delays (and no additional background processes required), the ASC lag for Arturia plugins was extremely noticeable and infuriating to me.
Yep, this sucks. Pigments, for example, takes about 10 seconds to load on first instance for me. It's not just the license check either. Additional instances are slow too. A second instance of pigments typically takes around 4 seconds to load. If I had one complaint for Arturia, it would be these painful load times.

Last edited by Synthack on Sun Feb 13, 2022 10:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
.... ...

sorry
“Madness, as you know, is like gravity: all it takes is a little push.”

Return to “Instruments”