Best condenser microphone recommendations around $100

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hermetech Mastering wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 3:39 pm
LoveEnigma18 wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 10:53 am
Hermetech Mastering wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 10:37 am K&K stands with Rycote InVision shock mounts here, for my KM84s. The Rycotes are the best you can get but you'll need the right suspension to match the size and weight of your mic.

https://www.mymic.rycote.com/products/s ... on-studio/
Thanks for the suggestion. Looks like a complicated affair. Any simpler, one-piece solution? :)

EDIT: Looks like I will need to get a shock mount separately? Also, a new pop filter too. Hmmm. I do have the windscreen (Samson PS01), which I am hoping that it will work with the new stand.
Not complicated at all, find the right mount needed for your mic (there's a list on Rycote's website), buy it and fit it. How much more of a complicated affair could that be? Here, I just did the Googling for you:

https://mymic.rycote.com/devices/at-2020/

Any old pop filter will be fine, although the Rycote ones are again of excellent quality. I'd say just grab this and be done, it is the one piece solution you've been looking for:

https://mymic.rycote.com/products/shock ... tudio-kit/
Thanks again for your help, and sorry for the trouble. I just thought it be complicated at first look since I have never used shock mount before. Also, I think my current stand might not hold the AT2020 well, so looks like I need to buy everything.

Not sure I can find Rycote products here or can order one to my country, but I will see what best I can do here.

Is there any good floor stand recommendation for the mic?

[To summarize, these are the things I would need to buy:
- Condenser microphone, most probably AT2020
- Shock mount for AT2020
- Windscreen, as the old one may not fit
- New mic stand, assuming the existing one won't work well
- New Pop Filter, I will consider as optional but will get it if possible]

I replaced my Shure SM58 with a RODE NT1 a few years back. The difference is huge. The NT1 is clear and loud with a much wider frequency range. I'd reccomend saving a little more and get something in the same range. I made the mistake of buying a C1 before the NT1 ... it was terribly noisy and muffled sounding. Waste of money. I gave it away. FYI the NT1 comes with a pop shield and shock mount. It fits the same mic stand I used for the SM58.

I'd also recommend the NT-1. It was my first condenser, back in 1998. still have it.
Save a bit and I'd recommend an AKG 451B for acoustic guitar.
“The American fascist would prefer not to use violence. His method is to poison the channels of public information.”
-Henry A. Wallace

Just to add another data point, I also started out with an SM-58 and went to a Rode NT-2A. The Shure was very boomy on my voice so I always took a big cut at around 100Hz. Plus, the gain was very low so I had to boost it with a utility within the DAW which didn't help the noise levels.

With the Rode I need much less input processing and it's much brighter on my muddy voice. It does pick up a lot more subtlety so it's a little less forgiving while tracking.

As mentioned, the Rodes are above the OP's price point but just wanted to share my related experience.

If Behringer than B1.
But listen to the "golden" Amazon things (Newer).

Thanks a lot guys. Really appreciate the suggestions.

Rode NT1-A is expensive for me, but I can see if can stretch my budget. NT2-A is way too expensive and I don't need multi-polar pattern. I am just recording vocals in my home studio. Gotta reduce/stop on plugin purchases. But hey Model 84 is going on sale soon! :hihi:

SM58 indeed isn't helping, both frequency response and output level wise. My voice is also in the similar category as benzene, and I also run out of gain on my audio interface and still don't get the desired level with SM58. So, from this year any song I release needs to use a better/condenser microphone.
thecontrolcentre wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 4:47 pm FYI the NT1 comes with a pop shield and shock mount. It fits the same mic stand I used for the SM58.
I wonder if the typical boom stand will hold all of this comfortably? Could you please let me know the stand model you are using? I always found it a struggle to find a good stand, at least where I am located.

Also, do you use windscreen with NT1-A? Any suggestions for it?

I guess stand and windscreen are the two items I would/might need outside of the package if going with the NT1-A bundle.

Side question if anyone wants to answer: Would AT2020 vs NT1-A be a huge step up? Asking because of almost 3 times the price difference.

AT2020 out and AT2035 in. Is anyone using AT2035 and happy with it? This one looks about the same quality as NT1-A but $100 cheaper and includes shock mount too (already have XLR cable, pop filter and stand - any of which I would replace only if needed). I am not sure getting NT1-A would offer significant advantages over AT2035, so may save $100 here.

FWIW, I have the sE X1-S mic suggested above. Sounds good on my voice, and I'm sure one could make an album with it. But I assume you could make an album also with the AT2020 and the AT2035... as well as with most other mics mentioned in this thread.

I did a mic shootout once, and found some differences amongst low-budget condensers. Can't remember them all, but the C1, I would surely recommend... not. ;)

I also have the vocal-booth-y thing (the reflection filter) for the sE mic. With it, the mic is quiet enough to be used in my townhouse.
Thu Oct 01, 2020 1:15 pm Passing Bye wrote:
"look at SparkySpark's post 4 posts up, let that sink in for a moment"
Go MuLab!

LoveEnigma18 wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 4:46 am
thecontrolcentre wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 4:47 pm FYI the NT1 comes with a pop shield and shock mount. It fits the same mic stand I used for the SM58.
I wonder if the typical boom stand will hold all of this comfortably? Could you please let me know the stand model you are using? I always found it a struggle to find a good stand, at least where I am located.
I use a cheap, bog standard boom stand for the NT-1, pop shield & shock suspension. No problems.The shield is made of light weight metal, the shock mount is plastic. Both come with the NT-1 which has a wider frequency range than the NT-1A and costs a little more. Yes, I use the "windscreen" :)

I used the NT-1 to record the vocals and acoustic guitars for this EP:
https://of-songs.bandcamp.com/releases

SparkySpark wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 9:53 pm FWIW, I have the sE X1-S mic suggested above. Sounds good on my voice, and I'm sure one could make an album with it. But I assume you could make an album also with the AT2020 and the AT2035... as well as with most other mics mentioned in this thread.

I did a mic shootout once, and found some differences amongst low-budget condensers. Can't remember them all, but the C1, I would surely recommend... not. ;)

I also have the vocal-booth-y thing (the reflection filter) for the sE mic. With it, the mic is quiet enough to be used in my townhouse.
Thanks. The sE Electronics X1 S Studio Bundle looks like a good deal, but more expensive than NT1-A here. I think I will need to stick to my budget and go with AT2035, otherwise it will open up 10 another options that I would need to look into. Gotta settle for something and forget it I think. As you said, we can make songs with even AT2020 or similar. :)

thecontrolcentre wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 10:53 pm
LoveEnigma18 wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 4:46 am
I use a cheap, bog standard boom stand for the NT-1, pop shield & shock suspension. No problems.The shield is made of light weight metal, the shock mount is plastic. Both come with the NT-1 which has a wider frequency range than the NT-1A and costs a little more. Yes, I use the "windscreen" :)

I used the NT-1 to record the vocals and acoustic guitars for this EP:
https://of-songs.bandcamp.com/releases
Thanks. So, did they change the shock mount to metal for NT1-A? I saw the reviews and it seems heavy. This is one more thing I need to consider, as I am worried about my stand tripping off. The shock mount that comes with AT2035 is plastic, so it will be light enough for my stand and I won't need to buy a new stand.

The EP sounds great by the way. Both vocals and guitars/keyboards are beautifully performed. :) Are guitars also recorded with NT1 or just the vocals?

LoveEnigma18 wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 4:13 am Thanks. So, did they change the shock mount to metal for NT1-A?
Sorry, but I have no idea as I own the NT-1 not the NT-1A
LoveEnigma18 wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 4:13 am The EP sounds great by the way. Both vocals and guitars/keyboards are beautifully performed. :) Are guitars also recorded with NT1 or just the vocals?
Thank you. As I said in my previous post "I used the NT-1 to record the vocals and acoustic guitars for this EP: https://of-songs.bandcamp.com/releases"

thecontrolcentre wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 4:05 pm
LoveEnigma18 wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 4:13 am Thanks. So, did they change the shock mount to metal for NT1-A?
Sorry, but I have no idea as I own the NT-1 not the NT-1A
Okay, no problem. I am almost ready to get AT2035 anyway, so no worries.
LoveEnigma18 wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 4:13 am The EP sounds great by the way. Both vocals and guitars/keyboards are beautifully performed. :) Are guitars also recorded with NT1 or just the vocals?
Thank you. As I said in my previous post "I used the NT-1 to record the vocals and acoustic guitars for this EP: https://of-songs.bandcamp.com/releases"
Oops, my bad, overlooked it. Thanks, and yes, it does sound great. :tu:

I am not much into recording, but now that I am planning to get a new microphone it's great to see that high quality microphones are so affordable these days for home studio work. If only we did not spend too much on software/plugins. :hihi:

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”