deltaFrames in live performance

DSP, Plugin and Host development discussion.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I've heard that keyboardists will subconsciously adjust to latency. i.e. they'll hit the keys a little early.

In a live setting, if a DAW were to 'help' by setting 'delta frames' to zero on all notes, this would on average reduce the latency, so would this result in the musician not compensating so much?

and then when the track was played back, the DAW would then start using 'delta frames', which would effectively add extra latency that the musician did not have the opportunity to compensate for?
So this would be worse than just exposing the latency correctly in the first place I think? (because the music when played back would be slightly 'late' compared to when it was recorded).

Jeff McClintock wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 4:28 am and then when the track was played back, the DAW would then start using 'delta frames', which would effectively add extra latency that the musician did not have the opportunity to compensate for?
So this would be worse than just exposing the latency correctly in the first place I think? (because the music when played back would be slightly 'late' compared to when it was recorded).
Yes. When a DAW does this, it's effectively impossible to record anything unless you can push the buffersize down to the 1ms range at least.

Jeff McClintock wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 4:28 am In a live setting, if a DAW were to 'help' by setting 'delta frames' to zero on all notes, this would on average reduce the latency, so would this result in the musician not compensating so much?
Yeah, but what he has to compensate for is unpredictable (although shorter as you said). The argument here (as has been mentioned above) is that training your self for a predictable but long delay is easier and better than training for an unpredictable yet shorter delay.
www.solostuff.net
Advice is heavy. So don’t send it like a mountain.

Return to “DSP and Plugin Development”