Roland presents new Boutiques

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I guess I just don't understand the thinking behind the Boutiques. Is space so limited in the modern studio that Roland believes they need to shrink down the Boutique plastic enclosures to toy size? I was going to ask who would use something like that? But obviously there is a market for Boutiques because Roland keeps making them.

But it just doesn't make sense when there are Roland Cloud versions of the very same software models for $149 each (with no subscription required). Wouldn't you rather use a VST/AU plugin in your DAW of choice than a cheap, plastic, external box with no display and minuscule faders that costs almost 3 times as much as the plugin?
Matrix-1000, MicroWave with Access programmer, MicroWave II, MKS-50 with MidiClub programmer, MKS-70, MKS-80 with Kiwi Patch Editor, Nord 2 Rack, Nord 3 Rack, Prophet REV2 module, Pulse 2, Shruthi, Virus TI

I’m with you. But it’s not so cool in videos !

{duplicate}
Last edited by tony10000 on Tue Jan 18, 2022 12:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The JD-08 sounds pretty cool. I had a JD800 on loan from Roland sometime around 1991. I really liked it!

To my uninformed mind the JX 08 looks like a SH01A on steroids. Think I might replace my SH01A with one. Any reason I should keep both?

SHall1000 wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 2:38 pm To my uninformed mind the JX 08 looks like a SH01A on steroids. Think I might replace my SH01A with one. Any reason I should keep both?
The JX-08 also have the Moog and sequential filter that is in the Zenology version so you have filter mode 1-3 that one owner confirmed to me while i wait for mine.

If i where you i would keep the SH01a and see if there is any overlap and with the JX-08 you will loose PWM that the SH01A has + the sound ;)

You can offcourse Make PWM On the JX-08 too but then you will loose 1 part since it involves using both Oscillators + Sync to get there.

Great article on Eric Persing and his role in developing the original JD800:

https://articles.roland.com/digital-dre ... 1642608016

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”