Why do you dislike Arturia VSTs?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic

Why do you dislike Arturia VSTs?

Their VSTs are bloated, take long to load and consume a lot of RAM.
44%
Their VST re-creations of classic synths sound nothing like the originals.
17%
Their synth presets sound mostly sh*te / are nothing I could use.
10%
Some of their VSTs have a gamey UI.
10%
Their VSTs sometimes crash my DAW.
4%
All of the above.
7%
All of the above plus something not mentioned here (please comment).
9%

Total votes: 199

RELATED
PRODUCTS

Edited
Last edited by Vortifex on Sun Apr 16, 2023 4:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

D-Fusion wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 12:21 pm
mtelesha wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 6:04 pm Just hate how it can only be installed on the main system drive. On Windows and Linux, I use to typically have a tiny drive that was 100% dedicated to the Operating System.

My new portable desktop computer I made now has a 2 TB m.2 drive just because of Arturia.
That is not true.
I don't have Arturia installed on my Windows hd.

You can set where you want Arturia Plugins and Samples to be installed in the Arturia Software center.
That was fixed then: My Email from Support

Gabriela (Arturia Support)

Apr 21, 20:21 CEST

Hello Marc,

Sorry for this inconvenience.

At the moment, our software Instruments/FXs resources cannot be moved to another location as depending on the used storage this may potentially have an impact on the software performance and may prevent it to work correctly.

Most of our software are not using sampling technology so do not usually require a lot of hard disk space, around 10 to 15 GB per V Collection.

I do however understand that this could be a problem as users are sometimes having very small SSD drives as system storage so this may be somewhat restrictive.

Indeed, in all cases, we'll do our best in order to implement this in the future in order to avoid such troubles.

So, i've linked your ticket to our referenced customer complaint in order to increase its priority.

All our apologies for this inconvenience.

I stay at your disposal if you still have any further questions.

Best regards,
Gabriela - Arturia Support
-------------------
Bitwig is my DAWs and UHe and Tracktion Synths are my Bae. I maybe buy one synth a year. REMEMBER SELF just one synth a year!

Yep, I have mine installed to the secondary D drive as I have a smaller SSD for Windows.

Edouard Arturia wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 3:26 pm
MrJubbly wrote: ↑Tue Jan 18, 2022 12:16 am
The thing which both frustrated and infuriated me the most regarding Arturia's plugins is the unnecessary 'lag/delay' after the plugin first instantiates in the DAW before being fully authorised for use by the ASC (i.e. the background ASC process that is launched every time an Arturia plugin is loaded.) Since all my other plugins load lightning fast with zero delays (and no additional background processes required), the ASC lag for Arturia plugins was extremely noticeable and infuriating to me.
Ok, I understand that this is a big source of frustration for a lot people here.
This rather surprising we don't receive much complaints about this at the tech support...
I guess this time can be variable for various reasons, and is maybe not enough of a pain to trigger support tickets, but I take good note about this. I will throw this topic in the pipeline as soon as possible. Thank you :tu:
I am normally not talking about this in the public but I would really like to know if this stated observation is true...
Lately arrived in the audio scene a release containing all Arturia presets..."cleaned up" so to speak...
The releasing group states this:
In addition to the two left hands of architecture with a million small pictures, the Arturia plugins also have a paranoid flaw in checking the license of protected presets - is checked by legitimate each of more than 10,000 protected presets, which greatly increases the initialization time of plugins ... Therefore, to accelerate loads all protected presets, were cleared and unlocked. Now these purified presets can be used even with third-party imperfect releases that did not support protected presets
If this would be true this can easily explain the huge amount of time and lag loading instances of Arturia plugins causes...

It might be easy to check by temporarily removing a bigger part (or all expect one or two) of the presets from the corresponding folders and check if loading times change then...

I don´t want to support any of these illegal actions... but they are there and not speaking about doesn´t make them disappear...
Nevertheless these people are sometimes great in exposing paranoid machinations of companies under which their own legal customers suffer... and I want to express: Only the legal users!

Remember as Tone2 was exposed using spyware in his installations to scan the system for illegal versions of his software and to deactivate them... and perhaps still does...

In reality it brings nothing anyway except customers who have to suffer from the useless attempts...

Their was not a single protection attempt which wasn´t "deactivated" already... so protection ok, but as turned out useless, please in a way that doesn´t just punish the people supporting you... ("you" = all companies and devs out their)...

Again, I don´t support or tolerate such illegal activities... but sometimes I appreciate interesting findings what companies want to hide!

I tested some recent versions, sounds pretty good to me.

I agree though they could optimize the cpu load quite a bit and also provide a "plain skin" at least, where all animations, skeuomorphism and so on is gone. A gui not simulating a real hardware, instead focussing on actual usability (e.g. Surge XT).

They seem to support M1 cpus already, which is great.

Don't care too much for accurately emulated sound.

Trancit wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 5:26 pm Lately arrived in the audio scene a release containing all Arturia presets..."cleaned up" so to speak...

In addition to the two left hands of architecture with a million small pictures, the Arturia plugins also have a paranoid flaw in checking the license of protected presets - is checked by legitimate each of more than 10,000 protected presets, which greatly increases the initialization time of plugins ... Therefore, to accelerate loads all protected presets, were cleared and unlocked. Now these purified presets can be used even with third-party imperfect releases that did not support protected presets
If this would be true this can easily explain the huge amount of time and lag loading instances of Arturia plugins causes...

I don´t want to support any of these illegal actions... but they are there and not speaking about doesn´t make them disappear... Nevertheless these people are sometimes great in exposing paranoid machinations of companies under which their own legal customers suffer... and I want to express: Only the legal users!
And therein lies the paradoxical irony of implementing overly-obtrusive and/or customer-unfriendly DRM solutions. Presumably, as an attempt to hamper illegitimate use, from those 'unwilling to pay' for those products.

Yet it is usually only the legitimate customers 'who did pay' for those products, who are left to burden such impositions. Meanwhile, the unscrupulous scallywags find ways to circumvent those hurdles and therefore suffer no such burdens themselves, all while 'still' avoiding reaching into their pockets. So what genuinely was the point and what purpose do such OTT protection methods really serve? It's all backwards madness!
... In reality it brings nothing anyway except customers who have to suffer from the useless attempts...
Such as was my case. I was the owner of the Arturia V Collection 8 (but have since sold that licence and will soon be also selling my other Arturia licences). My reason primarily being due to the detrimental slow-loading authorisation performances which I had experienced using them.

So, in their attempt to protect their products and business from illegitimate parties (for which, no one could criticise the developer themselves for doing so, only the 'particular method' which they chose to employ), Arturia have also in the process, lost actual current and future custom from paying consumers like myself and apparently many others, if these thread comments and poll results are anything to judge by.

Meanwhile, many other developers who instead offer seamless and FAR, FAR less-burdensome protection methods, such as: U-he, Kilohearts, Fabfilter, Synapse Audio, ValhallaDSP, etc, etc. have all gained a very loyal customer, who will gladly continue to purchase new products from them both now and repeatedly again in the future.

I mean, It ain't rocket science ... It's just being respectful to your own customers and treating them fairly ~ and not like suspected criminals, who are forced to jump through hoops, just to use their legally purchased products. And in return, they'll likewise be good to you (i.e. 'repeat business'). As respect is always a two-way street.

Hey !
davidka wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 5:38 pm Thanks for the quick reply.
Outside SQ80, I use OBX-D, Jun-6V, and the FX Collection most of the time. But that changes by season. There's no particular 'need', of a different UI, I was just thinking loud if such option would reduce the resource overhead. I have a Vega GPU, would a video card improve this situation?
It's hard know what is the bottleneck without a proper troubleshooting and more info on the setup, but if your VEGA is a decent one, it should't be the problem. (at least I hope !)
J Veronica wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 6:10 pm Arturia plugins load great for me, just a few seconds and I'm in.
The Jun6v sounds identical to the Juno 60 I used to own, and the Jup8V4 is one of the best I've ever heard. I barely want to use the Roland Cloud versions now.
If you are collecting feedback, all I can add is I am looking forward to more updated plugins, the voice dispersion feature is wonderful, and I hope you make a JX-8P :)
Thanks, I worked on Jun-6 V and Jup-8 V4 :) This is where we first introduced voice dispersion, which definitely brings an extra touch of life in the sound.
Examigan wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 6:44 pm
Edouard Arturia wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 3:26 pm Nowadays the CPU processing and our DSP expertise evolved which makes us able to provide totally different levels of accuracy.
This is why we are now reworking our old emulations to make them up to nowadays CPUs and expectations. Jup-8 V4 was the first of the series, and more will come next in the future.
:tu: Any hints as to which one will be next in line?
I can't spoil the surprise, but you won't be disappointed :)
BezO wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 8:25 pm I don't dislike Arturia VSTs, but the presets are mostly useless to me. But that's most instruments.

Oh sorry to hear that you can't find sounds that suits you in most instruments, but what kind of music do you produce?
xbow wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 8:25 am Regarding simplified interfaces, I'd like to add a thought: I really dislike having to scroll to see the whole plugin. With almost any synth (except the Jupiter and Juno), as soon as I open the advanced options, it gets too tall to fit into the window, so either the top part or bottom part is cut off. On the other hand, I don't need to see a visual representation of the synth's keyboard at all. So it would be awesome if you could implement an option to hide it, saving screen real estate and giving the plugin a much more focused appearance.
That's interesting, indeed space is often a problem, and keyboard doesn't help people who work in their workspace. I will keep this idea in mind.
Vortifex wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 11:31 am While Arturia is listening, could we please not have basic options like polyphony count relegated to a pop-out panel on the side that forces me to have to move the plugin off the other side of my screen and then move it back again when I'm done? You've got mostly empty panels on the top and bottom of the GUI where you can put them instead.
Spoiler, Poly is back in the bottom toolbar in the next instruments, and useful option appear when needed, like unison voices when enabling unison. :wink:

mtelesha wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 2:35 pm
D-Fusion wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 12:21 pm
mtelesha wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 6:04 pm Just hate how it can only be installed on the main system drive. On Windows and Linux, I use to typically have a tiny drive that was 100% dedicated to the Operating System.

My new portable desktop computer I made now has a 2 TB m.2 drive just because of Arturia.
That is not true.
I don't have Arturia installed on my Windows hd.

You can set where you want Arturia Plugins and Samples to be installed in the Arturia Software center.
That was fixed then: My Email from Support

Gabriela (Arturia Support)

Apr 21, 20:21 CEST
At the moment, our software Instruments/FXs resources cannot be moved to another location as depending on the used storage this may potentially have an impact on the software performance and may prevent it to work correctly.
Most of our software are not using sampling technology so do not usually require a lot of hard disk space, around 10 to 15 GB per V Collection.
I do however understand that this could be a problem as users are sometimes having very small SSD drives as system storage so this may be somewhat restrictive.
Indeed, in all cases, we'll do our best in order to implement this in the future in order to avoid such troubles.
So, i've linked your ticket to our referenced customer complaint in order to increase its priority.
There is an option to move your resources location in the Arturia Software Center > Preferences.
https://www.arturia.com/faq/utilization ... r-location

Trancit wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 5:26 pm
Edouard Arturia wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 3:26 pm
MrJubbly wrote: ↑Tue Jan 18, 2022 12:16 am
The thing which both frustrated and infuriated me the most regarding Arturia's plugins is the unnecessary 'lag/delay' after the plugin first instantiates in the DAW before being fully authorised for use by the ASC (i.e. the background ASC process that is launched every time an Arturia plugin is loaded.) Since all my other plugins load lightning fast with zero delays (and no additional background processes required), the ASC lag for Arturia plugins was extremely noticeable and infuriating to me.
Ok, I understand that this is a big source of frustration for a lot people here.
This rather surprising we don't receive much complaints about this at the tech support...
I guess this time can be variable for various reasons, and is maybe not enough of a pain to trigger support tickets, but I take good note about this. I will throw this topic in the pipeline as soon as possible. Thank you :tu:
I am normally not talking about this in the public but I would really like to know if this stated observation is true...
Lately arrived in the audio scene a release containing all Arturia presets..."cleaned up" so to speak...
It might be easy to check by temporarily removing a bigger part (or all expect one or two) of the presets from the corresponding folders and check if loading times change then...
I don´t want to support any of these illegal actions... but they are there and not speaking about doesn´t make them disappear...
Nevertheless these people are sometimes great in exposing paranoid machinations of companies under which their own legal customers suffer... and I want to express: Only the legal users!
Remember as Tone2 was exposed using spyware in his installations to scan the system for illegal versions of his software and to deactivate them... and perhaps still does...
In reality it brings nothing anyway except customers who have to suffer from the useless attempts...
Their was not a single protection attempt which wasn´t "deactivated" already... so protection ok, but as turned out useless, please in a way that doesn´t just punish the people supporting you... ("you" = all companies and devs out their)...
Again, I don´t support or tolerate such illegal activities... but sometimes I appreciate interesting findings what companies want to hide!
There is a an update of the instrument index on launch so that any new preset is detected by the instrument and added to the preset browse, it's not about the protection system.
Only the preset recalled when opening the project is checked to see if you own the bank in which it is included. So this shouldn't be the problem.
But once again this is a very deep topic, with many many many variables, and like some people say here in the thread, not everybody is affected by this recall time issue.
We are currently investigating this following your complaints.

MrJubbly wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 9:35 pm
Trancit wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 5:26 pm Lately arrived in the audio scene a release containing all Arturia presets..."cleaned up" so to speak...

I don´t want to support any of these illegal actions... but they are there and not speaking about doesn´t make them disappear... Nevertheless these people are sometimes great in exposing paranoid machinations of companies under which their own legal customers suffer... and I want to express: Only the legal users!
And therein lies the paradoxical irony of implementing overly-obtrusive and/or customer-unfriendly DRM solutions. Presumably, as an attempt to hamper illegitimate use, from those 'unwilling to pay' for those products.

Yet it is usually only the legitimate customers 'who did pay' for those products, who are left to burden such impositions. Meanwhile, the unscrupulous scallywags find ways to circumvent those hurdles and therefore suffer no such burdens themselves, all while 'still' avoiding reaching into their pockets. So what genuinely was the point and what purpose do such OTT protection methods really serve? It's all backwards madness!
... In reality it brings nothing anyway except customers who have to suffer from the useless attempts...
Such as was my case. I was the owner of the Arturia V Collection 8 (but have since sold that licence and will soon be also selling my other Arturia licences). My reason primarily being due to the detrimental slow-loading authorisation performances which I had experienced using them.

So, in their attempt to protect their products and business from illegitimate parties (for which, no one could criticise the developer themselves for doing so, only the 'particular method' which they chose to employ), Arturia have also in the process, lost actual current and future custom from paying consumers like myself and apparently many others, if these thread comments and poll results are anything to judge by.

Meanwhile, many other developers who instead offer seamless and FAR, FAR less-burdensome protection methods, such as: U-he, Kilohearts, Fabfilter, Synapse Audio, ValhallaDSP, etc, etc. have all gained a very loyal customer, who will gladly continue to purchase new products from them both now and repeatedly again in the future.

I mean, It ain't rocket science ... It's just being respectful to your own customers and treating them fairly ~ and not like suspected criminals, who are forced to jump through hoops, just to use their legally purchased products. And in return, they'll likewise be good to you (i.e. 'repeat business'). As respect is always a two-way street.
The user experience is at the core of our concern, and this clearly a problem for us, as we now understand that it is a major problem. Coming up with the Arturia Software Center was a way at simplifying the activation, installation and update experience, and this problem clearly goes against this intention for the people facing this issue. We are going to chase this pain point.

Once again, thank you for taking the time to detail your problems.

All the best

Edouard

Edited
Last edited by Vortifex on Sun Apr 16, 2023 4:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Arturia has gone from being one of my least favourite companies to one of the very best. Thanks for doing an amazing job you guys!
"If less is more, just think of how much more, more will be".

@Arturia: YOU ROCK :)
void main(dumb)

Where's the "Arturia is great and this poll is moronic" option?
Stormchild

None of the above was missing in your list.
I vote for that.

Last edited by Synthack on Sun Feb 13, 2022 9:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
.... ...

This poll is just pollution.

martinjuenke wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 12:37 pm This poll is just pollution.
I agree, but it's been saved by some very welcome and constructive input from an Arturia dev/rep, so it's not all bad :)
Always Read the Manual!

Return to “Instruments”