Arturia KeyStep 37 or Arturia KeyLab Essentials 49

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I'm looking for a new midi controller and after some researching I've limited it to the two Arturia controllers: Arturia KeyStep 37 or Arturia KeyLab Essentials 49.

But I'm not sure, which one would be better as a midi controller? Or are they basically the same, just one has more keys than the other?

Hmmm... very different keyboards, I would say. Are you looking for mini keys? Is space restraint an argument? Do you need knobs and faders? Do you need MIDI ports to play older synthesizers, or something similar?

I think you should specify a bit what you are looking for. One is a mini keyboard, the other is a full size keyboard.

I would prefer mini keys, but I don't mind getting fullsize keys either.
I used a Midiplus x3 mini controller https://www.midiplus.com.tw/en/product-detail/X3mini/, but I spilled coffee on it :( and it died on me. So I’m looking for something similar and the Arturia controllers come quite close.

But I can’t find any info on Arturia's website, in what setup you should use one or the other.

The KeyStep has some functionality which works well with hardware. I've seen a lot of videos where people made use of the step sequencer, to sequence hardware synths.

The KeyLab Essentials doesn't even have MIDI ports. It all runs over USB, so, it will probably be better in a computer setup, while the KeyStep can also work without a computer.

Depending on whether you do the one or the other, you might be better off with the one or the other. But, I think the main concern should be how well each of these fit on your desk. MIDI keyboards can be very big. Mine (Novation Impulse 49) is already almost too big for my desk.

I got the KeyStep and KeyLab yesterday and decided not to keep them. Don't get me wrong, they're good controllers: good looking, sturdy and fairly good keys, but they're not really what I'm looking for.
I hoped to be able to limit the use of my mouse and computer keys, but that's not really the case. I still need to do a lot of clicking and typing :?
So I'll look at the Nektar T4 or NI Komplete S49 next. They seem to be more what I'm actually looking for.

Hmmm... I don't think you get around typing and using the mouse when you make music with your computer. The NI Komplete Kontrol will also require that. The NKS ready instruments will be pre-mapped, yes, but, you still use the Komplete Kontrol software, and your DAW anyway.

That said, I'm nnot sure what you're looking for though, and what defines a lot of mouse and keyboard work for you, and how much or how little mouse and keyboard there has to be. At the very least, I doubt that the two keyboards you mentioned will require less of what the Arturia ones require. MIDI keyboard are all the same really. Setting up might vary, but, that's about it.

chk071 wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 4:19 pm That said, I'm nnot sure what you're looking for though, and what defines a lot of mouse and keyboard work for you, and how much or how little mouse and keyboard there has to be. At the very least, I doubt that the two keyboards you mentioned will require less of what the Arturia ones require. MIDI keyboard are all the same really. Setting up might vary, but, that's about it.
I would like to do something like this: Making Beats with Native Instruments MASCHINE MK3 and KOMPLETE KONTROL https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dmSpDZcAriY
or this: Can I Make A Beat Only Using Native Instruments Komplete Kontrol? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gumwv3wyVAII There's very littel mouse action involved :) and they're jamming simply using the keyboard.

...I know the keystep pro costs a 'bit' more - but it's a great controller - read the spec..
patterns for all 24 drum sounds 24x16 patterns - 64 steps each..nice..+ the 3 tracks for your other sounds ,
..If the keylab 49 had presets (like minilab 8 or beatstep 16) it would be a clever better customizable vst tool,

For creative ideas - I'd recommend Keystep Pro anytime, If you need 4 octave bigger keys - '49' is the better one - but less fun. I'd call Keystep Pro a performance keyboard too.
AKAI Professional MPK 249 is a well rated comptroller - but I never had it so no opinion..

edit, - & yes if you can get the Komplete S49 or 61 - then go for it - Maschine 2 will be highly recommended too + Komplete 11-13 I'd say
MPG X670E CARBON Ryzen 9 7900, 64Gb 6K DDR5 4x2tb Nvmes

Anlon wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 4:59 pm
chk071 wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 4:19 pm That said, I'm nnot sure what you're looking for though, and what defines a lot of mouse and keyboard work for you, and how much or how little mouse and keyboard there has to be. At the very least, I doubt that the two keyboards you mentioned will require less of what the Arturia ones require. MIDI keyboard are all the same really. Setting up might vary, but, that's about it.
I would like to do something like this: Making Beats with Native Instruments MASCHINE MK3 and KOMPLETE KONTROL https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dmSpDZcAriY
or this: Can I Make A Beat Only Using Native Instruments Komplete Kontrol? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gumwv3wyVAII There's very littel mouse action involved :) and they're jamming simply using the keyboard.
Oh, if you're into that kind of thing, definitely get those machines. :) I was more referring to working with VSTi's and VST's on the computer.

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”