Applied Acoustics Systems Multiphonics CV-1: First Impressions User Review

Modular Synth design and releases (Reaktor, SynthEdit, Tassman, etc.)
RELATED
PRODUCTS

i own modular and voltage but I have Multiphonics CV-1 and i like it a lot ! fun and simple to use !
time for me to leave KVR.Bye bye ! 03/2022 :phones:

tommyzai wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 10:29 pm
OUTRO: SO, WHAT HAPPENED TO TASSMAN?
but Tassman behaved a lot like Reaktor, whereby patches were created in a “builder” interface, which required users to switch into the “Player” interface to tweak and play — sounds were interrupted when changes were made in the patch. Multiphonics is more like a Eurorack with patching done with wires directly on the playing interface.
I get that this is out of style, but, while immediacy is great for exploration, virtual wires are terrible for documentation. The schematic view of a synth is super helpful in understanding the structure of a synth.

Reaktor is definitely the superior tool, as compared to Tassman, for a number of reasons, but I definitely think that the schematic view helps with understanding the unique elements of Tassman.

I'm fully aware that we're not going back, it's just something that I lament has fallen out of fashion a bit.

Anyway, the point of my post here is that if you are new to all of this, don't immediately dismiss the idea of a schematic/builder view.

I bought this during the black friday sale and the sound is incredibly good. The version 1.1 brings a low pass gate which is now my favorite filter. The synth is super light and not CPU heavy at all, including the GUI. There are a few feature missing (things to deal with pan easily for example). Add some kind of poly mod and it should replace pretty much every synth I use. I imagine at least a polyphony module to dispatch notes; and why not an instance system where some of the modules can be duplicated to form different voices and have common controls (tassman did pretty much that). Also something like a waveshaper; to follow the west coast theme of the LPG. yet it's good they're keeping it simple; you can do already pretty complex things with basic oscillators.

Bought this during Black Friday frenzy and started recently to dive into it.
A lot of fun, easy to use and 'cause it's restricted but mighty module set triggering creativity. Well done, Canucks! :tu:

martinjuenke wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 7:06 pm Bought this during Black Friday frenzy and started recently to dive into it.
A lot of fun, easy to use and 'cause it's restricted but mighty module set triggering creativity. Well done, Canucks! :tu:
That's my experience too - Multiphonics sounds phenomenal and its simplicity makes it easy to use. As such I am more likely to fire it up than VCV or Reaktor Blocks. Hope AAS make it a modern Tassman, in the meantime utilities like oscilloscope, ability to see precise values flowing through cables, simple comb and allpass filters would be great.

At first, I didn't pay much attention to CV-1 because it looks like a cartoon or a toy from the children's aisle at Target's, but watching and reading positive reviews about it, I gave it a second look and ignored the fact it reminds me of Barbie's Playpen. It is a powerful machine, that's for sure. The fact that it only clocks in at around 8mb is a wonder, too. I guess that's why its pastel colors are there, to lessen its load on your CPU. I think it's worth the expense, though. Still, I can't help but think its competition is way too stiff especially now that the free Cardinal is in town and it smokes!
If you can't dazzle 'em with brilliance, baffle 'em with bullshit.

I have Reaktor and VCV, (and lots of modular hw) that's enough modular to last a lifetime. I had a noodle with Multiphonics CV-1 recently and liked it for all the reasons listed above. However i am quite unhappy with how Tassman was abandoned. I am still a huge fan of AAS, though, and use all of their synths (including Tassman which still works fine). I would not buy Multiphonics until they add a significant amount of PM modules which would indeed make it a newer Tassman.
gadgets an gizmos..make noise https://soundcloud.com/crystalawareness Restocked: 3/24
old stuff http://ww.dancingbearaudioresearch.com/
if this post is edited -it was for punctuation, grammar, or to make it coherent (or make me seem coherent).

I read it did not have audio in - is this still the case?

fairlyclose wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 9:20 am I read it did not have audio in - is this still the case?
I can’t find anything about this anywhere; it’s keeping me on the fence about it for now, despite the $39 deal at jrr shop…

It's annoying that AAS seem to have lost interest in it and are already bargain basementing it. Really needs polyphonic capabilities, more physical modelling modules, fx version..

I just bought into it during their summer sale as part of an upgrade to the Modeling Collection I have.
It's great for what it is.
Lacking some features, but what's there is pretty flexible and fairly easy to use.

I also have VCV and Reaktor, but I think I'll be much more likely to be using this, even though it's not as powerful as the other two.
I got Tassman 2 a little over 20 years ago. This is not a replacement, but I think that after a few updates, I might like it even better than Tassman.
The sound quality is very good. All the things available in the Modeling Collection can pretty much cover most of the ground of what Tassman could do.
Bottom line is that I think it's well worth what it's going for, and I hope they continue to develop it.

I couldn't resist, I bought it yesterday with the summer sale discount. I love (software) modular synths.... :love:

Hey people... I did some demo, and it sounded good, but I did't get the taste enough before the trial ended :)
Wanted to check with you - what do you think, is it kind of superset of Chromaphone? (Or if not, can it be more or less Chromaphone-ish?)
Weapons of choice (subject to change):
Godin Redline, Kuassa, Fuse Audio, Audiority, Roland A-500pro, Dune, Dagger, TAL, Reaper for Rock & Synthwave pleasures; Viper and FL Studio for guilty EDM pleasures

Dencheg wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 3:25 pm Hey people... I did some demo, and it sounded good, but I did't get the taste enough before the trial ended :)
Wanted to check with you - what do you think, is it kind of superset of Chromaphone? (Or if not, can it be more or less Chromaphone-ish?)
short answer: no. although a soft modular can get you a lot, CV-1, hasn't many modules, and i must mention, i don't own it..., so i don't know if the VCF is capable of getting 'pinged', that isn't right term, but can be used for physical modelling, as some VCF's can do (in serial patching).

the only thing it has is the Objeq delay. which is of course taken from Chromaphone.

there are many ways to achieve 'physical modelled' sounds, but it isn't easy, i guess, in CV-1.

you can go Cardinal (the Mutable Instruments clones, have resonators/modal etc.), for free..

Return to “Modular Synthesis”