Which interface has the best mic preamps?

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Mostly asking for opinions out of curiosity and because it may help someone down the road. So, what are your thoughts?

Here’s my choice. I bought a UA Apollo Twin X last year after owning several models of MOTU 828 interfaces a a couple of versions of Apogee Ones for my MacBooks. Now, I’ve just upgraded to an Apollo X6 and I’m pretty blown away by these pres, particularly with the fact that I can model a bunch of classic preamps with the Unison plugins. It gives me all the flexibility I want for recording different vocalists, my basses, occasional guitar, etc. It’s actually convinced me to sell my beloved ISA 220 channel strip that I never thought I’d part with.
Logic Pro | PolyBrute | MatrixBrute | MiniFreak | Prophet 6 | Trigon 6 | OB-6 | Rev2 | Pro 3 | SE-1X | Polar TI2 | Blofeld | RYTMmk2 | Digitone | Syntakt | Digitakt | SX7

Have you had the opportunity to compare your new UA with a Focusrite Clarett?

Jerome63 wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 5:11 pm Have you had the opportunity to compare your new UA with a Focusrite Clarett?
No, I've actually never owned a Focusrite interface, but they seem to get great reviews and I've considered them several times. I've owned several of their ISA preamps (a few ISA Ones, and ISA Two, ISA220). I'd love to hear how people who have owned/used both think they compare, though.
Logic Pro | PolyBrute | MatrixBrute | MiniFreak | Prophet 6 | Trigon 6 | OB-6 | Rev2 | Pro 3 | SE-1X | Polar TI2 | Blofeld | RYTMmk2 | Digitone | Syntakt | Digitakt | SX7

The Focusrite Red line sound amazing, the best I’ve heard. Second would be Apogee, still to this day I go back to recordings I did with my Apogee interface vs the Clarett and the Apogee has something to it. Focusrite sounds pretty good imo. The preamps are fairly flat at good recording levels, Air mode boosts highs a bit but you can always do that with an EQ. The Presonus Quantum sounds pretty good for the price.
Studio One // Bitwig // Logic Pro X // Ableton 11 // Reason 11 // FLStudio // MPC // Force // Maschine

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”