Why do you dislike u-he VSTs?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

antic604 wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 11:53 am The only think I don't like - and that's super minor, one-off affair - is that we need to mail them to get our serial codes and then copy & paste them to each plugin.

But I feel almost embarassed to even mention that :oops:
They are switching to a keyfile which will contain all your licenses.

I dislike u-he cause I bought some expensive hardware synths and still liked the u-he synths better :x

concon wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 6:37 am Sexist. What about u-she?
U-They/Them

i get more use from their hardware.

U-HE is fab!

-- edit ... cant read ...

Wake me, when someone gets around to joking around about Korg soft synths. :wink:

U-he? I had Zebra, HZ, Diva, Bazille, Hive, and I dont know what else. Six years ago or so.. I decided to pitch all soft synths, and only go OTB + iOS exclusively. Instead of doing the smart thing, and setting my u-he stuff aside - I sold the works. Only hung onto a few soft synths... which I am now, integrating back with OTB instruments and effects. I dont think there are any VST/AU instruments I dislike.. but some I that have grown in/out of use, in my setups. U-he.. had fallen out of use for me.. six years ago.
Last edited by jdoo on Sat Jan 22, 2022 2:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

There is too much "hidden" stuff. The reason I sold Hive was because of its although genius, but extremely cumbersome middle section modulation area.
MacMini M2 Pro . 32GB . 2TB . . Renoise……Reason 12……Live 12 Push 2

jdoo wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 5:12 pm I used the V Collection pretty extensively up until a couple of years ago. I dove out of the box (not Arturia hw), but concentrated on non-au instruments for a couple of years. Although I had been using Arturia stuff for about 10 years, what i disliked about Arturia... was some of the initial instruments were getting long in the tooth (hadnt been updated in a decade) and the tones I needed/used were flat. I picked up V Collection 8 on sale last year - most all of that has changed. The newer instruments and latest updates to the older instruments sit well with hardware gear I use, and the tones are fricken amazing.. and sound amazing stacked up with both ITB and OTB instruments and effects. So - this 'poll' could have done better with an option for 'I dont have any beefs with Arturia.. and enjoy their products'
I hate to say this, sir, but:

...you commented on the wrong thread.

U-Haha
Every day takes figuring out all over again how to f#ckin’ live.

I will open a topic with this title: why do you dislike topics that questions why do you dislike u-he

cryophonik wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 7:47 pm I'll try again, since nobody seems to get my dumb jokes.... :P

I hate their VSTs because they don't open in Pro Tools :hihi:
But wait, really? It might be something you're doing wrong. To proceed I just need to aax you a few questions about why your VST's perform so aufully in Pro Tools...

chagzuki wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 7:13 pmU-Haha
hey! no funny business!

"Oh my god! They killed VST2!"
"You bastards!"

Oh wait... wrong thread... :oops:
I started on Logic 5 with a PowerBook G4 550Mhz. I now have a MacBook Air M1 and it's ~165x faster! So, why is my music not proportionally better? :(

anyone who rides a golden chariot, pulled by cats, is fine with me! :tu:

Note: I do appreciate this topic was created as a (somewhat tongue-in-cheek) response to the similarly-themed Arturia thread. That being said...

Q: Why do you dislike u-he VSTs?

A: The majority of genuine u-he customers' (invariably):

I don't. u-he's Instruments and Effects are among my absolute favourite plugins. Both in terms of their overall sound quality, performance, useability, form, function and end-user experience.

Oh, and did I mention that u-he also employ a completely stress-free, quick and painless copy protection system, which is a breath of fresh air from certain other developers' overly-obtrusive and burdensome methods? (Arturia, other obtrusive DRM and iLok-dependent developers, please take note!)

Note: I own most of u-he's excellent paid synths & effects and use all their additional freebie plugins too. U-he's synths in particular have that wonderful attribute of being almost impossible to make them sound bad. The sheer quality of the filters and sound engineering just shines through and is beautiful to my ears. The included presets (and other available sound packs) are extremely useable and CPU-efficient for most types of music genres and therefore, multiple u-he synths invariably find themselves in regular use in most of my projects.

U-he's plugins are extremely user-friendly and an absolute pleasure to experience. The sound preset management and menu system u-he implement is second to none in my personal experience and their plugins' GUIs, both the factory installed skins and also many third-party designs, are absolutely gorgeous to behold, with very clear and understandable layouts and very easily scalable ~ looking great at every scale setting I have tested.

Overall, u-he are one of the very best developers around, in my opinion. I am an extremely satisfied u-he customer and will continue to be for the foreseeable future. So long as U-He continue making all the right decisions that they have been doing and continue treating their customers fairly, I will continue to reciprocate that respect with continued future business. :)

- - - - - -
On the flip side:..

Q: Why do you dislike u-he VSTs?

A: Majority of other Developers' (probably):

Because U-He's plugins are much better than what I can create myself and offer to my customers (probably). :wink:

- - - - - -
One small (yet worth-mentioning) criticism, however:

Off Tangent Critique...

Now, I have to be fair, and to prevent being accused of being a U-He shill by those who are unfortunate to never have experienced the joys of using this developers' magnificent creations, I will also mention one negative drawback which I can think of (albeit the only one that springs to mind) ~ although, this is by no means a U-He only issue, and also applies to many other plugin developers, including even great companies like Fabfilter and Kilohearts).

In the wake of the Steinberg VST2.x depreciation shenanigans last year, I was dismayed to discover that currently, there is no 'automatic migration' support build-in for VST2 to VST3 (or apparently any other audio plugin format, perhaps even the proposed 'CLAP' alternative). Meaning that, there is no efficient means for customer to automatically replacing our existing VST2.x instances of their plugins within our older projects for a newer audio plugin-format equivalent once Steinberg pull the plug on that format.

Certain DAWs support this 'automatic migration' feature, but only IF the plugin format variants share the relevant internal plugin IDs to one another. To name a few developers whose plugins do support 'automatic migration': ValhallaDSP, Synapse Audio, Sonic Academy, Applied Acoustics Systems.

Fortunately, at least due to U-He's efficient preset management system, any future 'manual migration' should hopefully at least be mitigated than it might otherwise be, to some extent. Although, a painless 'automatic' solution would have been the ideal solution.

Return to “Instruments”