Something new from G-Force (Mellotron MKII)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

mladi wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 9:13 pm
MrJubbly wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 9:02 pm Or am I perhaps missing something obvious here, which makes sense to have previously chosen to only support the smaller macOS demographic for certain product releases?
Here is the pathetic answer..

https://www.gforcesoftware.com/blog/ob- ... c-version/
Answer (from the GForce website):
"We recently did a series of surveys with our customers and found a huge majority are Mac users. So, as OB-E evolved into the very special monster that is it, we decided to release it as Mac only and see what the reception was. "
...Well you know, there's one sure fire way of ensuring that pattern remains that way ... And I guess they went about it for that release, removing all 'choice' from the equation, lol! :lol:

Although, I'm still not sure of how or why anybody's operating system preference would determine which third-party plugins they wanted? (so long as they were not exclusively-tied somehow to that OS). I mean, why do the users of u-he and fabfilter use both OS formats, but not GForce?

That just seems a very odd concept to me. Oh, and for the record, I am also customer of GForce (although not for the Mac-only product in question) and I also "happen to use" Windows. So, I guess that means I'm in the minority? Haha!

TBH, this whole "tying an OS preference to a plugin developer" bias is all quite a new, bizarre and hilarious concept to me. But I guess it is what it is (has this ever happened with any other non-Apple-owned plugin developer?) I guess, by only supporting one particular format for a given product can only result in the outcome of ensuring that situation stays that way. Lol!

win obe or imposcar 3 or vsm 2 or minimonsta 2

MrJubbly wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 10:06 pm Although, I'm still not sure of how or why anybody's operating system preference would determine which third-party plugins they wanted? (so long as they were not exclusively-tied somehow to that OS). I mean, why do the users of u-he and fabfilter use both OS formats, but not GForce?
I seem to recall u-he starting as a Mac-only shop, and then later adding Windows support to all their plugins. They had (and still have) a giant in-house framework for making plugins, and they had to put some work in to make it compatible with Windows.

In that blog post, GForce mentions "new technology" for which OB-E serves as some kind of testbed. They might be doing the same thing as u-he did: Build an in-house framework, make it work on Mac OS, use it to make Mac-only plugins, and then port the framework to Windows.
I hate signatures too.

Super Piano Hater 64 wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 10:14 pm
MrJubbly wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 10:06 pm Although, I'm still not sure of how or why anybody's operating system preference would determine which third-party plugins they wanted? (so long as they were not exclusively-tied somehow to that OS). I mean, why do the users of u-he and fabfilter use both OS formats, but not GForce?
I seem to recall u-he starting as a Mac-only shop, and then later adding Windows support to all their plugins. They had (and still have) a giant in-house framework for making plugins, and they had to put some work in to make it compatible with Windows.
Would this have been back in the earlier 2000s when most professional music production (just as with graphic design also) was primarily mac-based? I guess that would have made more sense back then. I would imagine the OS situation might have become more evenly balanced out over the last decade-or-so however.

Super Piano Hater 64 wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 10:14 pm In that blog post, GForce mentions "new technology" for which OB-E serves as some kind of testbed. They might be doing the same thing as u-he did: Build an in-house framework, make it work on Mac OS, use it to make Mac-only plugins, and then port the framework to Windows.
I suppose, if they had to perform such an undertaking without an already-established easy porting method to another OS feature built in, that might explain it ... I guess? :)

dune_rave wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 10:13 pm win obe or imposcar 3 or vsm 2 or minimonsta 2
Man, I would love an impOSCar 3 ... or even just a more refined, tweaked user-interface impOSCar 2.x, with better preset management and improved UI scalability options.

NikkiA wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 9:31 pm I *think* it's a Mellotron MKII, the knobs look right.

https://www.mellotron.com/mkiit.htm
Indeed - good spot!

Here's a list of what they have, but I'm not sure if they bought something else recently though:
https://www.gforcesoftware.com/blog/vin ... ch-studio/

dune_rave wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 10:13 pm win obe or imposcar 3 or vsm 2 or minimonsta 2
Video literally says it's something never done before, so, Nope.

Is a Mellotron MkII really any different from loading two regular mellotrons? Would it use different preset banks?
the old free version may not work boots successfully on new generations of computers, instruments, and hardware

mholloway wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 11:36 pm
Video literally says it's something never done before, so, Nope.
then they have made a virus or a theremin

pough wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 1:37 am Is a Mellotron MkII really any different from loading two regular mellotrons? Would it use different preset banks?
And really they already mimic that in their version.

This is a hard call.

If it is indeed a mellotron , well this would save me money.
rsp
sound sculptist

I think either

EMS Synthi 100 (this was my guess - but only based on trawling through history of Synths and looking at photos to see what was nearest to screengab - doesn't "sound" right though - if trailer is to represent sound

Alesis Andromeda - someone suggested this on youtube and sound would align - would be amazing if was. One seems to be in Gforces collection too

Mellotron MKII mentionned above seems very very likely looking at pics - would be very disappointed though (just not my preference in sound)

someone else on youtube suggest a Roland Space echo which looks a very very close match photos wise - and also seems to be in Gforces collection - not sure I'd count that as an instrument though ?

out of all the above - it would be amazing if was an Alesis

The safe money's on the Mellotron. I'm with zvenx, this is great news as a big money-saver for me! :)

I would love to see a major overhaul of M-Tron, whose GUI looks like an old Geocities webpage.
If every KVR member wrote one review a year we'd have 1340 reviews each day!

Return to “Instruments”