Why do you dislike u-he VSTs?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

vurt wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 9:31 pm
bazille! manuels rat? no one likes rats!
A very average french painter, but nobody mentions that, instead it's meant to be some secret synthesis code to make it seem more impressive...

AnX wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 10:00 pm
A very average french painter, but nobody mentions that, instead it's meant to be some secret synthesis code to make it seem more impressive...
no comment on whether ace is anything to do with red dwarf?

:lol:
(im not sure if i was being serious or not) :ud:

vurt wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 10:02 pm

Not Dr Who's assistant?

AnX wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 10:04 pm
vurt wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 10:02 pm

Not Dr Who's assistant?
youd hope not, mccoy was rubbish!

Not U-he per se, but Urs himself: I dislike that he dislikes wavetables. ...his reasons for disliking them are weak, too.

I laud U-he for adding wavetables to Hive despite Urs's personal dislike of them, but ... I can still "sense" that they are tacked on. Most other wavetable synths like to put the tables front-and-center, and Hive makes them part of a pseudo-modal view. (It's better-implemented than Dune, but still.)

<sarcasm>
I demand that Urs make a public apology for disliking wavetables! If he doesn't publicly refute his earlier arguments and explain to us all how amazing wavetables actually are, I'm never buying another U-He synth again!
</s>
Last edited by Introspective on Thu Jan 20, 2022 10:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.

All of U-He's synths are essentially wannabe-modulars.

They need to stop pretending and just go ahead and make actual modu-u-u---

Introspective wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 10:13 pm All of U-He's synths are essentially wannabe-modulars.

They need to stop pretending and just go ahead and make actual modu-u-u---

ive got two of those buggers! :party:

Last edited by Synthack on Sun Feb 13, 2022 10:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
.... ...

The effects plugins often are a bit too clean sounding for me. I like dirt and color. I like them and have most of them anyhow.

Presswerk is very alive sounding, I love it, but I don't like it's attack when squashing things. Too much high peaking transients. A negative side chain delay helps a bit this is the one thing I would like to change.

I would like to see an updated Diva theme. It looks dated compared to Repro.

But the worst thing is than they made me admire them too much! Stop being so likeable and making these high quality products u-he.

zerocrossing wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 8:47 pm
syntonica wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 7:24 pm The GUIs don't sing to me and their perceived ugliness belies the incredible beauty held within. Yeah, it's a cavil, but it's off-putting to me. :/
I feel like they’ve made huge strides since the mid 2000s. There’s still some UX stuff that bugs me in Diva, Uhbik and Zebra, but do you really think they’re ugly?
Aye, they've gotten much, much better in the last couple of years. I cankinda use Hive2 now. Hive1's GUI made my eyes bleed...
I started on Logic 5 with a PowerBook G4 550Mhz. I now have a MacBook Air M1 and it's ~165x faster! So, why is my music not proportionally better? :(

Oh, I almost forgot! I really hate their new slogan: We make plugins... and stuff... ;)
I started on Logic 5 with a PowerBook G4 550Mhz. I now have a MacBook Air M1 and it's ~165x faster! So, why is my music not proportionally better? :(

Synthack wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 10:37 pm They won't make a sampler/drum machine.

I mean how hard would it be to take their existing DSP from Repro & Divas FX and put them into a drum machine sampler plugin. You know like Reasons Kong but with a built in sequencer.

Outrageous!

Oh and why isn't Zebra3 out yet.

Terrible company.

I'm not serious btw, they are the best in the biz.
They did make some silly drum machines at one point. Can't even remember how you got them, think it was a subscription thing or a beta that went no where.

U-He are hard to hate, you have to come up with weird reasons. I'm admittedly biased though, having bought More Feedback Machine when it was AU only and donation ware, and contributed to Zebra 1 factory presets etc.

OK that's my main dislike, some of the older synths and FX have been sidelined for new synths. Filterscape is more or less abandonware, Zebra has been sidelined I don't know how many times? It's capitalism more than anything I know, but I have to say it was nice to see MFM get some love because I was starting to get flashbacks to NI, Camel etc.

It can be a lot of work to update GUIs you've made for them when they have been updated to a new version. U-HE's GUI's can look bland and on occasions lack attention to detail in design.
KVR S1-Thread | The Intrancersonic-Design Source > Program Resource | Studio One Resource | Music Gallery | 2D / 3D Sci-fi Art | GUI Projects | Animations | Photography | Film Docs | 80's Cartoons | Games | Music Hardware |

U-he ate my baby

Oh wait, nevermind, that was a dingo. I don’t know what kind of animal a U-he is. Some sort of African ungulate?
Logic Pro | PolyBrute | MatrixBrute | MiniFreak | Prophet 6 | Trigon 6 | OB-6 | Rev2 | Pro 3 | SE-1X | Polar TI2 | Blofeld | RYTMmk2 | Digitone | Syntakt | Digitakt | Integra-7

Introspective wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 10:09 pm Not U-he per se, but Urs himself: I dislike that he dislikes wavetables. ...his reasons for disliking them are weak, too.

I laud U-he for adding wavetables to Hive despite Urs's personal dislike of them, but ... I can still "sense" that they are tacked on. Most other wavetable synths like to put the tables front-and-center, and Hive makes them part of a pseudo-modal view. (It's better-implemented than Dune, but still.)

<sarcasm>
I demand that Urs make a public apology for disliking wavetables! If he doesn't publicly refute his earlier arguments and explain to us all how amazing wavetables actually are, I'm never buying another U-He synth again!
</s>
Jokes aside, his point is absolutely viable.
The nature of sound changes in a wavetable is fixed.

Let's say that some particular wavetable changes N parameters of a wave, sonically. But usually synth authors leave for instance filter up to the user.
Filter sweeps can be included into a table, adding up to N+1 parameters of a wave, controllable only in one-dimensional way.

So Urs is one of those people with mathematical reasons like "If filtering is provided independently, why other N aspects of a sound should be rigidly printed into a set of waves, instead of finding N ways of independent sound shaping".
Ugh, I hope more people will see the mathematical reasons despite the way I put it on html-paper.

upd: on the other hand, if a synth can control N parameters of a sound, but some super-new way of shaping comes up, it can be plugged into that synth as a linear change of that parameter from 0.0 to 1.0. So we can see each WT osc as a slot for additional pre-calculated wave-shaping option.
Ok, now I see why WT synths can come in handy (as long as I use meaningful tables bringing something new to a synth in a form of linear change through the frames)
Weapons of choice (subject to change):
Godin Redline, Kuassa, Fuse Audio, Audiority, Roland A-500pro, Dune, Dagger, TAL, Reaper for Rock & Synthwave pleasures; Viper and FL Studio for guilty EDM pleasures

Return to “Instruments”