Why do you dislike u-he VSTs?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I just sold them, because I didn't got the sound I wanted out of them, but all plugins ran fine and the support was also great!

clipnotic wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 8:16 pm I just sold them, because I didn't got the sound I wanted out of them, but all plugins ran fine and the support was also great!
Just imagine how some of the greatest electronic musicians in the past managed to create so legendary tunes with just sine/saw/triangle waveforms.

Igro wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 9:18 pm
clipnotic wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 8:16 pm I just sold them, because I didn't got the sound I wanted out of them, but all plugins ran fine and the support was also great!
Just imagine how some of the greatest electronic musicians in the past managed to create so legendary tunes with just sine/saw/triangle waveforms.
well, I know, I started with reduced hardware 25 years ago. I had an Atari Mega ST4 (an old school computer :D ) and some hardware synths, but time AND software has changed!

briefcasemanx wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 9:21 am
machinesworking wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 6:40 am
briefcasemanx wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 2:13 am They sound too clean to be real analog. They sound like an analog synth made with the perfect components, each component cherry picked from a large pile to behave perfectly. Seems like they're missing just a tiny bit of some low level slop or nastyness that makes them sound a little bit cleaner and a little bit less aggressive.
In Nearly every analog modeling synth from U-He you can dial that in on your own. A lot of the "sound" of analog synths comes from unstable oscillators across voices, but hardly any developer wants to force that on you.

I'm more curious as to what you think sounds more analog in the digital world? because owning a Memorymoog and an Xpander I find the U-He stuff usually is the closest.
Nothing. Ive owned analog synths (currently only a Juno 106) and got rid of hardware for softsynths. Repro is maybe my favorite softsynth.

I realize you can dial in drift in U-He stuff, still sounds too clean to me though in some way.
This begs the question, why sell your hardware if nothing sounds like it?

Mostly my experience is that any perceived difference is lost in a mix. I still own "real" analog synths, I love them, they sound different in real life playing them, but I seriously doubt that most people would get it 100% right or even close that if they tried to guess which is soft synths or analog hardware.

For me it's a bit comparable to ABL. ABL created the best 303 VSTs ever and a 303 purist will love it, but I still using Phoscyon, because I get the same sound out of it like Josh Wink, Mike Dearborn, Emanuel Top, Plastikman (Richie Hawtin) (some of the best Acid kings ever! :D )and so on ..

Sorry, really sorry to be serious here for a second. :shrug:

Sorry but just no to what this is implying. What was done in the past can not eternally direct what we are doing now : because our ancestors built houses succesfully with rocks, wood and stones doesn't mean you'll refuse a screwdriver to fix things in your home today. Things happened, things are different now.

If you think you have better options now, you're free to.

You're also free to prefer the oldschool option too, just accept both. I also always choose the modern tools too.

In other words, my idea is : for sure people created great tunes with those basic waveforms years ago : time to create great tunes using complex waveforms instead of trying to loop the past. You want to keep on using simple waveforms ? Cool, this market is huge, let's all live together buying different synths.
Please don’t read the above post. It’s a stupid one. Simply pass.

stop being so neutral :tantrum:

I'm against people who buy spectral FM synthesis synths.
Please don’t read the above post. It’s a stupid one. Simply pass.

im against gentleman wearing hats indoors on sundays. especially if worn at a jaunty angle.
really grinds my goat.

Well, if you would really know the greatest electronic musicians and how they're working, you also would know, that every sine/saw/triangle waveform would be influenced by filters, envelopes ... and so on. I also have hundreds of saw, sine ... waveforms in different synths and all of them sound different ... :wink:

I dislike this topic, does that count?

machinesworking wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 10:17 pm
briefcasemanx wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 9:21 am
machinesworking wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 6:40 am
briefcasemanx wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 2:13 am They sound too clean to be real analog. They sound like an analog synth made with the perfect components, each component cherry picked from a large pile to behave perfectly. Seems like they're missing just a tiny bit of some low level slop or nastyness that makes them sound a little bit cleaner and a little bit less aggressive.
In Nearly every analog modeling synth from U-He you can dial that in on your own. A lot of the "sound" of analog synths comes from unstable oscillators across voices, but hardly any developer wants to force that on you.

I'm more curious as to what you think sounds more analog in the digital world? because owning a Memorymoog and an Xpander I find the U-He stuff usually is the closest.
Nothing. Ive owned analog synths (currently only a Juno 106) and got rid of hardware for softsynths. Repro is maybe my favorite softsynth.

I realize you can dial in drift in U-He stuff, still sounds too clean to me though in some way.
This begs the question, why sell your hardware if nothing sounds like it?

Mostly my experience is that any perceived difference is lost in a mix. I still own "real" analog synths, I love them, they sound different in real life playing them, but I seriously doubt that most people would get it 100% right or even close that if they tried to guess which is soft synths or analog hardware.
I don't think the difference is lost in a mix on good speakers or headphones.

I sold off hardware because software is good enough now. I would much rather use a Juno emulation than bust out my hardware synth. But I won't sell the Juno for nostalgia reasons.

idk, i was watching that Repro vs Prophet last week in my studio that has a really good sound system and i couldn't tell them apart.

I don't think i could hear the difference in a mix if i can't solo'd

briefcasemanx wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 7:33 am I don't think the difference is lost in a mix on good speakers or headphones.

I sold off hardware because software is good enough now. I would much rather use a Juno emulation than bust out my hardware synth. But I won't sell the Juno for nostalgia reasons.
So you accept your music being a compromise quality wise because of convenience..

I have my hardware synths permanently plugged into my interface, it's not difficult to set them up to not be a pain at all. I still choose soft synths because most of the time I don't need something that fills up every area of a mix, and/or the emulation is just as good.

I don't like H-he VSTs because they don't like Arturia VSTs.

VSTs must love each other.

Return to “Instruments”