Why do you dislike Arturia VSTs?

VST, AU, AAX, etc. plug-in Virtual Instruments discussion

Why do you dislike Arturia VSTs?

Their VSTs are bloated, take long to load and consume a lot of RAM.
44%
Their VST re-creations of classic synths sound nothing like the originals.
17%
Their synth presets sound mostly sh*te / are nothing I could use.
10%
Some of their VSTs have a gamey UI.
10%
Their VSTs sometimes crash my DAW.
4%
All of the above.
7%
All of the above plus something not mentioned here (please comment).
8%

Total votes: 189

RELATED
PRODUCTS
Zipede
KVRist
289 posts since 7 Feb, 2017

Post Fri Jan 21, 2022 5:09 am

Arashi wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 3:16 am Where's the "Arturia is great and this poll is moronic" option?
I do believe Edouard's outstanding customer care has morphed this poll into something like that already.

Can't wait to see Arturia's next synth/FX releases.

Introspective
KVRian
603 posts since 12 Jan, 2004 from Boston, MA

Post Fri Jan 21, 2022 6:28 am

Edouard Arturia wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 1:37 am
Examigan wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 10:44 am :tu: Any hints as to which one will be next in line?
I can't spoil the surprise, but you won't be disappointed :)
...You ... haven't been on KvR very long, have you?

vertibration
KVRian
687 posts since 11 Nov, 2010 from ny

Post Fri Jan 21, 2022 6:32 am

I have no doubt the next batch of V plugins will be amazing. They keep getting better with each one.

Examigan
KVRAF
6688 posts since 15 Sep, 2005 from East Coast of the USA

Post Fri Jan 21, 2022 9:04 am

Edouard Arturia wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 1:37 am
Examigan wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 10:44 am :tu: Any hints as to which one will be next in line?
I can't spoil the surprise, but you won't be disappointed :)
A revision of the CS-80 V and other older ones would be great.

clipnotic
KVRian
714 posts since 19 Sep, 2007 from Germany

Post Fri Jan 21, 2022 12:32 pm

support is good and they have nice ideas, but the sound of the hardware and software ...

MrJubbly
KVRist
88 posts since 30 May, 2019

Post Fri Jan 21, 2022 12:49 pm

Edouard Arturia wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 1:37 am The user experience is at the core of our concern, and this clearly a problem for us, as we now understand that it is a major problem. Coming up with the Arturia Software Center was a way at simplifying the activation, installation and update experience, and this problem clearly goes against this intention for the people facing this issue. We are going to chase this pain point.

Once again, thank you for taking the time to detail your problems.

All the best

Edouard
Hey, you seem like a really great guy and any criticism I have already stated regarding the current operations of the ASC, is not intended to reflect badly overall on Arturia as a company itself.

As I previously mentioned, I am more than satisfied with the two hardware MIDI keyboard controllers that I purchased from your company.

Regarding the software, if only the 'loading time / ASC issues' were not detrimental to my workflow, I would likely have continued to use V Collection and Pigments, as sound-quality wise I had no problems in that respect and did regard your software as value for money (ASC issues aside).

I do hope Arturia can continue making relevant adjustments to the operation of your software, to help improve the overall user experience. I wish Arturia continued prosperity and success in your future endeavours. :)

Echoes in the Attic
KVRAF
9635 posts since 12 May, 2008

Post Fri Jan 21, 2022 1:06 pm

Since an Arturia rep is here I would like to give my feedback:

I like the software center personally, I find it easy to check for update and install/uninstall. I especially appreciate that uninstalling demos removes NKS stuff too, which is really hard to do with most plugins.

I do find the load times a bit annoying and they do use a fair bit of ram. Seems like the UIs are a little heavy. Conversely when I open something like a TAL juno or jupiter, it is instant nd uses little resources.

In general, some of the UIs are good, like the Jup 8-V4, but often there is so much waster space for the sake of realism, and controls are often small and at a strange angle, like the organs. And often a simple view uses the same amount of space as an expanded view. The Prophet is the worst for this. Using just one engine still takes up tons of screen space that is empty. And the Synclavier as well. The DX7 on the other hand changes the window size depending on the view.

Pasaje
KVRer
19 posts since 2 Apr, 2021

Post Fri Jan 21, 2022 3:24 pm

I'm an owner of a Polybrute, Keylab 61 mkii, and Keylab 88 mkii and I can vouch for the build quality and continuous support (software updates) that Arturia has provided for these devices. I'm very likely to purchase Arturia hardware again in the future.

Having said that, the 7-12 second delay on instancing/loading Arturia's VSTs has put me on hold from purchasing more of their software. At least in Bitwig, the loading delay gets serialized, meaning that if I have six instances of Pigments or Analog lab in a project it can take up to a minute for the project to load. Not cool.

tactile_coast
KVRist
136 posts since 14 Nov, 2020

Post Fri Jan 21, 2022 3:45 pm

Pasaje wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 3:24 pm
Having said that, the 7-12 second delay on instancing/loading Arturia's VSTs has put me on hold from purchasing more of their software. At least in Bitwig, the loading delay gets serialized, meaning that if I have six instances of Pigments or Analog lab in a project it can take up to a minute for the project to load. Not cool.
I had the same problem with up to 30 second per plugin launches but after reading earlier on this forum from Edouard Arturia that not everyone had the same issue I reinstalled Analog Lab which fixed it.
Last edited by tactile_coast on Fri Jan 21, 2022 6:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

thecontrolcentre
KVRAF
32650 posts since 27 Jul, 2005 from the wilds of wanny

Post Fri Jan 21, 2022 4:34 pm

It just comes naturally to me. I do like their hardware.

Synthack
KVRian
687 posts since 4 Dec, 2021

Post Fri Jan 21, 2022 7:21 pm

Last edited by Synthack on Sun Feb 13, 2022 1:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
.... ...

felis
KVRian
947 posts since 25 Jul, 2009

Post Fri Jan 21, 2022 7:37 pm

You guys complaining about 10 second load times should feel lucky.
Each Arturia synth or effect I load takes about 30 seconds for me.

Synthack
KVRian
687 posts since 4 Dec, 2021

Post Fri Jan 21, 2022 7:57 pm

Last edited by Synthack on Sun Feb 13, 2022 1:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.
.... ...

Pasaje
KVRer
19 posts since 2 Apr, 2021

Post Fri Jan 21, 2022 10:12 pm

tactile_coast wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 3:45 pm
Pasaje wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 3:24 pm
I had the same problem with up to 30 second per plugin launches but after reading earlier on this forum from Edouard Arturia that not everyone had the same issue I reinstalled Analog Lab which fixed it.
From my own troubleshooting I've pinpointed the issue down to the way Arturia handles their preset database. This is something other users have also reported in the past. I've tried forcing the rebuild the database but it's a very temporary solution.

Thanks for the suggestion about reinstalling. I'm going to try it just in case and see if it makes a difference. If that doesn't work I guess I could try trimming the preset library which defeats the point of Analog Lab.

This is a system I recently built myself with 32GB of RAM, 5950x CPU and evo 970 SSD with a fresh install of Win11. I've worked in IT over 15 years, and hardware is not the bottleneck here. Also, all kinds of VSTs load pretty much instantly. Arturia's happens to be the slowest of them all.

davidka
KVRian
559 posts since 22 Dec, 2010

Post Fri Jan 21, 2022 11:35 pm

I'll be filing a ticket with a complete environment description for troubleshooting, hopefully Arturia will find the root cause easier.

Regarding new stuff, I already started to save up... it's going to be an expensive year again :D

Return to “Instruments”