If a soft synth could magically become a hardware unit, which one would you smash into floating molecules with a mallet?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Synthack wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 3:18 am So if i had hardware (probably expensive) versions of plugins. The original poster is asking me which one would i want to destroy?

None of them are you crazy??

That's a lot of money to smash apart.
Crazy? Sure…I’ll own that.

But the premise is really about this: Imagine you have a piece of software you have grown to absolutely hate. Wouldn’t it be satisfying to magically turn it into a full sized hardware version that you can beat into free-floating molecules with a mallet? Far more viscerally satisfying than the little sound effect you get by dumping the software into the trash and emptying it.
On a number of Macs

That makes no sense at all. When you decide you don’t like a software instrument, you can simply stop using it and stick with ones you do like. Who the hell uses a soft synth they hate to the point that it exceeds their threshold for rational behavior? :nutter:

Sir, put down the mallet and step away from the computer. :lol:
Logic Pro | PolyBrute | MatrixBrute | MiniFreak | Prophet 6 | Trigon 6 | OB-6 | Rev2 | Pro 3 | SE-1X | Polar TI2 | Blofeld | RYTMmk2 | Digitone | Syntakt | Digitakt | Integra-7

Last edited by Synthack on Sun Feb 13, 2022 9:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
.... ...

audiojunkie wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 12:08 am
kobal wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 3:14 pm the opposite is way more intresting, if magically a hardware unit of choice could become a plugin.
i would pick something that plugins need years to matchs sonically if something like that exist ,or something that will never be emulated cause not "mainstream " enought
How about a Virus? :wink: :phones:

viewtopic.php?f=33&t=559359
yes it s great i had it in hardware and i could never totally replace it with plugins sonically , i replaced it cause of workflow choice of going software, a waldorf xt would be great also :D

Smashing something with a mallet would take more effort than simply ignoring some synth I didn't want. Joke threads are only good when there is some plausibility involved.

mcnoone wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 11:31 am Smashing something with a mallet would take more effort than simply ignoring some synth I didn't want. Joke threads are only good when there is some plausibility involved.
OK…fair enough. What if it made little clown horn sounds with each mallet whack?
On a number of Macs

kobal wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 10:20 am
kobal wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 3:14 pm the opposite is way more intresting, if magically a hardware unit of choice could become a plugin.
i would pick something that plugins need years to matchs sonically if something like that exist ,or something that will never be emulated cause not "mainstream " enought

yes it s great i had it in hardware and i could never totally replace it with plugins sonically , i replaced it cause of workflow choice of going software, a waldorf xt would be great also :D
Look at my link again. This it’s not an emulation. This is the actual virus including the actual ROM. There is no difference in the sound, because this is a virus. And, it’s also a plug-in. And best of all, it’s free. 😎👍🏼
C/R, dongles & other intrusive copy protection equals less-control & more-hassle for consumers. Company gone-can’t authorize. Limit to # of auths. Instability-ie PACE. Forced internet auths. THE HONEST ARE HASSLED, NOT THE PIRATES.

audiojunkie wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 1:42 pm
kobal wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 10:20 am

Look at my link again. This it’s not an emulation. This is the actual virus including using the actual ROM. There is no difference in the sound, because this is a virus. And, it’s also a plug-in. And best of all, it’s free. 😎👍🏼
C/R, dongles & other intrusive copy protection equals less-control & more-hassle for consumers. Company gone-can’t authorize. Limit to # of auths. Instability-ie PACE. Forced internet auths. THE HONEST ARE HASSLED, NOT THE PIRATES.

It’s not an emulation of a virus, it’s an emulation of the processor chip. The ROM it uses is the actual Virus ROM that runs the virus hardware. There is no difference in sound.

mcnoone wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 11:31 am Smashing something with a mallet would take more effort than simply ignoring some synth I didn't want. Joke threads are only good when there is some plausibility involved.
You have not seen Office Space?
Doing nothing is only fun when you have something you are supposed to do.

Dirtgrain wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 1:53 pm
You have not seen Office Space?
Queue the gangsta rap, and bring ya baseball bat! Lol

audiojunkie wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 1:47 pm It’s not an emulation of a virus, it’s an emulation of the processor chip. The ROM it uses is the actual Virus ROM that runs the virus hardware. There is no difference in sound.
yes i know i used it :tu: amazing work they have done.

Ahhh. I see I completely misunderstood the topic.

I don't really hate any synth so much that I have any desire to smash it. ...But I suppose the most disappointed I felt in a synth was with Lethal. Still no desire to smash it.

There have been developers pushing their wares so hard here on KvR that I've wanted to smash their marketing... Does that count?!

catharsis.

nvm
Last edited by legendCNCD on Sun Jan 23, 2022 8:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Soft Knees - Live 12, Diva, Omnisphere, Slate Digital VSX, TDR, Kush Audio, U-He, PA, Valhalla, Fuse, Pulsar, NI, OekSound etc. on Win11Pro R7950X & RME AiO Pro
https://www.youtube.com/@softknees/videos Music & Demoscene

Return to “Instruments”