How do I make these supersaws from the JP-8080 please?

How to make that sound...
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I'm a 90's raver, but I also love the late 90's early 2000's trance, for me you can't beat the supersaw sound from the JP-8000/JP8080 but unfortunately I can't afford either.

I've got several plug-in synths including u-he Diva (which I believe is close in sound to the JP-8080), sylenth, Serum and Massive, as well as logic pro x's own synths.

I found this video on you tube which shows the settings on the JP-8080 for the supersaw from Veracocha - Carte Blanche at 1:01 (possibly my favourite trance track), System F - Out of the Blue at 1:32, and Gouryella - Gouryella at 4:08 and I was wondering if anyone would be able to recreate any of the sounds using the plug-ins I have and show me how to do it please as I can't get it right, but I'm still a novice in synthesis. I also like the one called everywhere (maybe form everywhere I go?) that's at 0:30.

If anyone can help I'd really appreciate it, you've no idea how happy I'd be to have th sounds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UJ0sKJi ... =SamiRabia

Take your favorite unison instrument. Turn off osc 2. switch osc 1 to "saw". Switch global to Unison. Detune it. Now give it some spread. Now give it some modulation. Now sequence it in a rhythmic standard 4/4. Now do that 60 times and put them all on top of each other. Now hit play over a sampled drum loop. Done. it literally takes 15 minutes.

Now go do that 512,655,294,748 times.

I've been searching for this "right" supersaw sound for years.

But, it is actually very simple - any synth that can do supersaw can sound decent with corrent EQ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Blog ------------- YouTube channel
Tricky-Loops wrote: (...)someone like Armin van Buuren who claims to make a track in half an hour and all his songs sound somewhat boring(...)

Thanks, unfortunately that's windows only though and I have a mac :(

Dasheesh wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 10:07 am Take your favorite unison instrument. Turn off osc 2. switch osc 1 to "saw". Switch global to Unison. Detune it. Now give it some spread. Now give it some modulation. Now sequence it in a rhythmic standard 4/4. Now do that 60 times and put them all on top of each other. Now hit play over a sampled drum loop. Done. it literally takes 15 minutes.

Now go do that 512,655,294,748 times.
DJ Warmonger wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 10:43 am I've been searching for this "right" supersaw sound for years.

But, it is actually very simple - any synth that can do supersaw can sound decent with corrent EQ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Thanks for the replies. I know how to create a supersaw, and have several presets as well, however I'd really like to recreate those particular ones (or as close as possible) and no matter what I try and adjust on the synths I'm not getting close :(

DJ Warmonger is exactly right. it's about the little things like the Q on the filter, the speed of the filter-envelope, the type of filter, the amount of detune, volume envelope, the amount of reverb & delay. EQ

I do hear a 2nd osc 1 octave higher but lower volume as well.

I typed all this and then I thought let's just record it and show what I mean
https://rumble.com/vt4fzf-that-supersaw-sound.html
CHOOSX Remakes on my Youtube Channel

Here is the Sami Rabia's JP-8080 Carte Blance sound recreated in Serum
I used following effects to get close to the sound in video.
Delay: Replika XT (maybe could use also internal PingPong delay in Serum)
Reverb: Valhalla Vintage Verb
The Serum preset
JP8k Carte Blance.zip
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by bluesawsq on Mon Jan 31, 2022 9:10 am, edited 2 times in total.

Spire's supersaw is kick ass. You can "emulate" the JP-8k's detuning spread, and phase control, when you set the unison density parameter to 100%. I find it's pretty close to the JP-8k's supersaw, or the Virus' Hypersaw.

I would agree though that other synths are able to get reasonably close as well. Sylenth1 is great for supersaws as well, Z3TA as well (although a different flavour).

part of it is the way the JP tunes the saws... from what i understand the tuning isn't evenly spread... as in all the saws aren't detuned at regular intervals (6 cents, 12 cents, 18 cents and so on)... somewhere on the net is a paper on it, I can't remember right now for sure and don't really have time to search it I'm at work, but it might be put out by Beep Street. Which makes Sunrizer, I think they stopped selling it for PC, but didn't you say you're on Mac anyway? It's meant to be pretty much an upgraded JP in plugin form minus the feedback waveform. I have it in VST and on iOS it's a superb synth... other than that I hear Diva has a suitable supersaw and there's always roland cloud for the ultimate in authentic. Have fun :)
In the future there will be robots!

theorize wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 8:42 am part of it is the way the JP tunes the saws... from what i understand the tuning isn't evenly spread... as in all the saws aren't detuned at regular intervals (6 cents, 12 cents, 18 cents and so on)... somewhere on the net is a paper on it, I can't remember right now for sure and don't really have time to search it I'm at work, but it might be put out by Beep Street.
Adam Szabo had written his bachelor thesis on the JP80x0 Supersaw....

https://groups.io/g/synthedit/attachmen ... %20Saw.pdf

edit: link corrected
Last edited by Rastkovic on Thu Feb 03, 2022 12:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JP-4C is amazing. You need Reaktor if you don't have it.
Diva can also do it perfectly but is a bit harder to get the sound right, if you aim for a true emulation.

Why not get the Jp6K from Adam Sazbo... but alas Flowstone or Synthmaker is pc only... I only saw now that you are on a Mac... check out on youtube also Demis Hellens supersaw tutorial on Vital Supersaws.. it is worth it as well!

Rastkovic wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 12:22 pm
theorize wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 8:42 am part of it is the way the JP tunes the saws... from what i understand the tuning isn't evenly spread... as in all the saws aren't detuned at regular intervals (6 cents, 12 cents, 18 cents and so on)... somewhere on the net is a paper on it, I can't remember right now for sure and don't really have time to search it I'm at work, but it might be put out by Beep Street.
Adam Szabo had written his bachelor thesis on the JP80x0 Supersaw....

https://s3-us-west-1.amazonaws.com/grou ... Saw.pdf%22
That link won't work, but this should: https://groups.io/g/synthedit/attachmen ... %20Saw.pdf

I'd try Avenger or Dune 3. Both excellent for supersaws.

Return to “Sound Design”