non-Reason alternatives to Parsec, Friktion and Algoritm ?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I've had my mind on getting these 3 synths for some time and just not feeling like I want to put more money into the Reason universe at this time. And I don't want to go subscription either. So I'm looking for alternative VST instruments that are similar. FM, Spectral and Physical Modeling. The first ones that come to mind to me are FM8, Vital and Chromaphone.

Would love to know your top picks in these categories and many thanks! Will look into any and all recommendations.

Greg K.

It is a bit hard to determine a 1:1 mimic. There are many instruments in NI Reaktor that would cover these grounds. Also, Vital feels close in nature to Parsec. Algoritm, being FM might have a larger family to compare to. OPS/7 comes to mind as one that comes up quite a bit. String Studio by AAS might be closer to Friktion than Chromaphone.

JonSolo wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 8:17 pm It is a bit hard to determine a 1:1 mimic. There are many instruments in NI Reaktor that would cover these grounds. Also, Vital feels close in nature to Parsec. Algoritm, being FM might have a larger family to compare to. OPS/7 comes to mind as one that comes up quite a bit. String Studio by AAS might be closer to Friktion than Chromaphone.
Thanks for the feedback! I didn't think of String Studio (and love their Objeq Delay plugin)! I am wondering how similar Razor is to Parsec cause I do have that one. I really like it a lot.

A lot of the reason synths do have quite a few tricks up their sleeves….. just something to consider.

I have the above Reason synths. If I’m looking for non-Reason alternatives, I would look at:

Dmitry Sches Thorn for something Parsec like. Though I think Parsec may be able to get out of hand quicker? Which could be good or bad depending on intentions….
Maybe DiscoDSP Vertigo for more icy/glassy sounds?

I like the sound Chromaphone better than string studio, but I actually own the newer AAS collaboration with Expressive E called Imagine. May not really compete with Friktion on violin, cello sounds etc but it’s a good easy to use physical modelling vsti.

I don’t have many FM synths to compare to, but algorithm has the ability to use wavetables to modulate the sine waves plus you can connect things up anyway you like. Not sure if some of the bigger, full featured FM synths like F’Em, etc have that, but algorithm has a little more going for it than a normal ‘x- operator’ fm synth.

dopet wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 11:38 pm A lot of the reason synths do have quite a few tricks up their sleeves….. just something to consider.

I have the above Reason synths. If I’m looking for non-Reason alternatives, I would look at:

Dmitry Sches Thorn for something Parsec like. Though I think Parsec may be able to get out of hand quicker? Which could be good or bad depending on intentions….
Maybe DiscoDSP Vertigo for more icy/glassy sounds?

I like the sound Chromaphone better than string studio, but I actually own the newer AAS collaboration with Expressive E called Imagine. May not really compete with Friktion on violin, cello sounds etc but it’s a good easy to use physical modelling vsti.

I don’t have many FM synths to compare to, but algorithm has the ability to use wavetables to modulate the sine waves plus you can connect things up anyway you like. Not sure if some of the bigger, full featured FM synths like F’Em, etc have that, but algorithm has a little more going for it than a normal ‘x- operator’ fm synth.
Thank you for this! Really good into.

Last edited by Synthack on Sun Feb 13, 2022 9:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
.... ...

Parsec 2 can be replaced by NI Razor and/or Blade 2. Yes, Pigments has also an additive angine. Thorn is also based on an additive engine (Harmor as well).

Friktion is a physical modeling synth right? So, it can be replaced by NI Prism or AAS Chromaphone.

Algoritm is an FM synth, so maybe OPS7, Blue 2, FM8, DX7 V or Bazille :)

killmaster wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 4:27 pm I've had my mind on getting these 3 synths for some time and just not feeling like I want to put more money into the Reason universe at this time. And I don't want to go subscription either. So I'm looking for alternative VST instruments that are similar. FM, Spectral and Physical Modeling. The first ones that come to mind to me are FM8, Vital and Chromaphone.
Soundwise there might be alternatives, but I wouldn't underestimate the design and usability of these Rack Extension GUIs. I'm not a big Reason user, but this is always a bit fascinating to me.

Besides that, I understand the decision not to put more money into Reason at this time. For me, Reason Studios is also not the company that gets my full sympathy at the moment...

EnGee wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 12:50 am Parsec 2 can be replaced by NI Razor and/or Blade 2. Yes, Pigments has also an additive angine. Thorn is also based on an additive engine (Harmor as well).

Friktion is a physical modeling synth right? So, it can be replaced by NI Prism or AAS Chromaphone.

Algoritm is an FM synth, so maybe OPS7, Blue 2, FM8, DX7 V or Bazille :)
Thanks a lot! Yeh, totally forgot about Prism, and I have that! I never thought about Bazille as FM either. Lots to try... I appreciate it.

EnGee wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 12:50 am Algoritm is an FM synth, so maybe OPS7, Blue 2, FM8, DX7 V or Bazille :)
None of the mentioned synths above are anywhere close to Algoritm. Otherwise you can rather as well mention any FM of PD synth. Not saying they aren't good or anything, but if you want something like Algoritm, none of the mentioned will fit.

Bazille is very flexible though, possibly more flexible than Algoritm, but it's not really laid out like an FM synth.

I would rather recommend f'em from Tracktion as a possible replacement for Algoritm.
Last edited by starflakeprj on Sun Jan 23, 2022 3:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
i9-10900K | 128GB DDR4 | RTX 3090 | Arturia AudioFuse/KeyLab mkII/SparkLE | PreSonus ATOM/ATOM SQ | Studio One | Reason | Bitwig Studio | Reaper | Renoise | FL Studio | ~900 VSTs | 300+ REs

As a replacement for Friktion SWAM Solo Strings, from Audio Modeling might be something to look at. A bit more expensive though.

https://audiomodeling.com/strings/solo-strings/
i9-10900K | 128GB DDR4 | RTX 3090 | Arturia AudioFuse/KeyLab mkII/SparkLE | PreSonus ATOM/ATOM SQ | Studio One | Reason | Bitwig Studio | Reaper | Renoise | FL Studio | ~900 VSTs | 300+ REs

starflakeprj wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 3:04 pm As a replacement for Friktion SWAM Solo Strings, from Audio Modeling might be something to look at. A bit more expensive though.

Thank you! Maybe I should have mentioned it earlier but I am mostly interesting in Algoritm to experiment with and come up with more unusual textures and rhythms. Not looking for conventional sounds from these. From what I could gather, you can do a lot of not usual sounds. My impression is that they allow for a certain Synesthesia so to speak. I'm curious to try really cross-wiring algoritm and seeing what I can come up with. Same with Friktion and Parsec. Maybe Bazille could offer that if I can learn it to get the most out of it.

killmaster wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 3:31 pm
starflakeprj wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 3:04 pm As a replacement for Friktion SWAM Solo Strings, from Audio Modeling might be something to look at. A bit more expensive though.

Thank you! Maybe I should have mentioned it earlier but I am mostly interesting in Algoritm to experiment with and come up with more unusual textures and rhythms. Not looking for conventional sounds from these. From what I could gather, you can do a lot of not usual sounds. My impression is that they allow for a certain Synesthesia so to speak. I'm curious to try really cross-wiring algoritm and seeing what I can come up with. Same with Friktion and Parsec. Maybe Bazille could offer that if I can learn it to get the most out of it.
Yes, in this case, if I were you, I would go with Bazille.

starflakeprj wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 3:02 pm
EnGee wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 12:50 am Algoritm is an FM synth, so maybe OPS7, Blue 2, FM8, DX7 V or Bazille :)
None of the mentioned synths above are anywhere close to Algoritm. Otherwise you can rather as well mention any FM of PD synth. Not saying they aren't good or anything, but if you want something like Algoritm, none of the mentioned will fit.
Maybe not exactly the same, but you can do very complex sounds from the above, as all can do FM very well. It depends on how crazy you want to go with modulation and how usable is the final result.

EnGee wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 4:22 pm
starflakeprj wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 3:02 pm
Maybe not exactly the same, but you can do very complex sounds from the above, as all can do FM very well. It depends on how crazy you want to go with modulation and how usable is the final result.
crazier the better!

Return to “Instruments”