Continuum [Electronic, Downtempo]

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

https://youtu.be/7J-CYtaZIAI
https://soundcloud.com/infravolt/continuum

This track made specifically for Songwriting Competition 053 - "Community Scramble".

Mix Challenge forum | Songwriting Competition | Thread, related to this contest

FLAC | MP3

The goal was to create a production using only the sample content, provided by the community. Samples could be freely processed and mangled (re-sampling, wavetable / sample-based synthesis, granular synthesis, modulation etc.).

Most of the sounds are made using TAL Sampler and it's internal features. It adds a kinda lo-fi, vintage sampler quality to the sound with it's resonant filters and DAC emulation.

For this particular challenge I brought my own sample pack. I recorded some of my environment noises and foley percussion on a phone mic. Most of the sounds in my track are those processed recordings. For sound designer there is no really bad sounds, there is only unfitting.
Last edited by VCA-089 on Sun Jan 23, 2022 2:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Some people don't like music created on a PC and declare it as "fake". I don't care. The only thing matters to me is the end result."
SoundCloud YouTube Patreon

Here I will collect entries, submitted by other people:
https://soundcloud.com/infravolt/sets/s ... tition-053

A Future in Noise - Empty Cans
WAV

fajebru - Purple
WAVMP3

SuC76 - ITZ
WAV
MP3

satchboogie - Ratrun
WAV
Last edited by VCA-089 on Tue Jan 25, 2022 3:36 pm, edited 5 times in total.
"Some people don't like music created on a PC and declare it as "fake". I don't care. The only thing matters to me is the end result."

Very interesting and impressive track, especially given that you had to work only with the samples provided. This shows some real imagination on your part. I honestly can't find any fault with it.

I have updated my initial post with final version of a track...

Very nice VCA-089.
eassae.com
“I do nothing professionally, I do everything for fun.”—Prince, Under the Cherry Moon

cool piece! interesting method too, i often limit myself to a few samples for a challenge. forces you to think harder to get everything you need, which in turn makes it even easier when you have everything available 8)

nice mix of the found sounds with the more electronic parts :tu:

well done! :tu:

wagtunes wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 9:00 pm Very interesting and impressive track, especially given that you had to work only with the samples provided. This shows some real imagination on your part. I honestly can't find any fault with it.
Thank you!

Sometimes it's hard to decide is it finished already or is it even good when you working on the same piece for a long time. A fresh look from outside could be helpful in this case.

I liked the drum sounds here. They had an '80s movie score vibe (in fact, I think the track as a whole had that) even with the bottle opener, burp and light switch :)

I think this could also make a decent piece of game soundtrack material for an action/chase scenario., given the insistent/driving nature of the of the drums and bass on the two main sections.

It was interesting to compare the intro and outro soundscapes, having seen the signal chains and processes being used.

Good work :)

vurt wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 5:21 pm cool piece! interesting method too, i often limit myself to a few samples for a challenge. forces you to think harder to get everything you need, which in turn makes it even easier when you have everything available 8)

nice mix of the found sounds with the more electronic parts :tu:

well done! :tu:
Thank you!

This method also makes you stay in good condition in terms of music writing. It really shows where your intention and ispiration goes from.
eassae wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 5:01 pm Very nice VCA-089.

I'm OK when some one dissects my music and critically analyzes it. Comments like this makes me feel embarrassed instead.

seismic1 wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 2:14 am I liked the drum sounds here. They had an '80s movie score vibe (in fact, I think the track as a whole had that) even with the bottle opener, burp and light switch :)

I think this could also make a decent piece of game soundtrack material for an action/chase scenario., given the insistent/driving nature of the of the drums and bass on the two main sections.

It was interesting to compare the intro and outro soundscapes, having seen the signal chains and processes being used.

Good work :)
Thanks for comment!

The explantation of how sounds were processed takes the whole page. For soundscape I used my own sample that I made of 20 foley sounds recorded in my kitchen and than edited into one sample. Intro and outro soundscape made by playing the whole thing by different samplers and processed by different signal chains.

In the intro TAL Sampler played the sample forward and backward with pitch and pan modulation, passed through Walhalla "FreqEcho" frequency shifter and Eventide "Blackhole" reverb.

In the outro it was played by SliceX, a native FL Studio sampler that can play different parts of the sample as individual sounds. Processed by U-HE's "ColourCopy" delay with heavy time modulation, AudioThing's "Outer Space" tape echo and Audiority "Xenoverb" with formant reverb setting.

There could be a video walkthough that can explain what all of this actually means, but this is a whole different story.

Return to “Music Cafe”