non-Reason alternatives to Parsec, Friktion and Algoritm ?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

The whole AAS modeling suite is half-off right now. If you can swing it, it's well worth the price.

For just plain FM, Dexed is fine. For something more unusual, check out Aparillo or Nemesis.

For wavetable synthesis, you're on your own. ;)
I started on Logic 5 with a PowerBook G4 550Mhz. I now have a MacBook Air M1 and it's ~165x faster! So, why is my music not proportionally better? :(

killmaster wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 8:02 pm
EnGee wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 4:22 pm
starflakeprj wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 3:02 pm
EnGee wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 12:50 am Algoritm is an FM synth, so maybe OPS7, Blue 2, FM8, DX7 V or Bazille :)
None of the mentioned synths above are anywhere close to Algoritm. Otherwise you can rather as well mention any FM of PD synth. Not saying they aren't good or anything, but if you want something like Algoritm, none of the mentioned will fit.
Maybe not exactly the same, but you can do very complex sounds from the above, as all can do FM very well. It depends on how crazy you want to go with modulation and how usable is the final result.
crazier the better!
If it serves you well, then yes ;) Personally, I don't use only complex sounds. I mostly like to use/construct simple sounds except for intros or effects because I like the sounds to not be lost in the mix. The fewer the sounds and the less complex, the clearer the mix (to me ;) )

The closest thing to Algoritm is absolutely plain old classic FM8. They are not 1:1 by any means, but I can't think of any other FM synth out there that comes anywhere as close in terms of depth, flexibility and general programming style. Furthermore, IMHO FM8 is still the best FM synth on the market, despite all the newer ones that have come out since. Dexed is great as a pure freebie and DX7 syx loader, but it's very 'pure dx7' whereas FM8 goes way, way beyond the DX7 itself. All that said, Algoritm is really awesome, and since we have the Reason Rack now, why not just use it (if it's what you really want) in the rack. It's probably the fastest FM-workflow I've seen.

Isn't Parsec an additive synth? Not sure why people are recommend wavetable synths as a replacement for it, if that's the case.

Parsec = Loom or Razor
Algoritm = FM8
Firktion = nothing comes close

And I'd say that even for Parsec and Algoritm the alternatives I listed aren't comparable. The strength of Reason synths is they're simple and intutive, yet powerful and deep; which can't be said of the VSTs I listed.
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

killmaster wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 8:02 pm
EnGee wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 4:22 pm
starflakeprj wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 3:02 pm
EnGee wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 12:50 am Algoritm is an FM synth, so maybe OPS7, Blue 2, FM8, DX7 V or Bazille :)
None of the mentioned synths above are anywhere close to Algoritm. Otherwise you can rather as well mention any FM of PD synth. Not saying they aren't good or anything, but if you want something like Algoritm, none of the mentioned will fit.
Maybe not exactly the same, but you can do very complex sounds from the above, as all can do FM very well. It depends on how crazy you want to go with modulation and how usable is the final result.
crazier the better!
You can also do crazy stuff with Xfer Serum.... ;)

It's hard to give a suggestion without further informations. If you're not into classic DX7 sounds, Tracktion F.'em might be something for you.

mholloway wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 8:46 pm The closest thing to Algoritm is absolutely plain old classic FM8. They are not 1:1 by any means, but I can't think of any other FM synth out there that comes anywhere as close in terms of depth, flexibility and general programming style.
Tracktion f'em?
i9-10900K | 128GB DDR4 | RTX 3090 | Arturia AudioFuse/KeyLab mkII/SparkLE | PreSonus ATOM/ATOM SQ | Studio One | Reason | Bitwig Studio | Reaper | Renoise | FL Studio | ~900 VSTs | 300+ REs

antic604 wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 8:52 pm Parsec = Loom or Razor
Algoritm = FM8
Firktion = nothing comes close

And I'd say that even for Parsec and Algoritm the alternatives I listed aren't comparable. The strength of Reason synths is they're simple and intutive, yet powerful and deep; which can't be said of the VSTs I listed.
Thanks! Sounds like a closer comparison. I appreciate it. F'em does really look good. The matrix is similar to FM8 from what I can tell.

I'm curious if you can say what you like about Friktion most. The only physical modeling synth I've used beside Reaktor Prism is Logic Sculpture.

starflakeprj wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 9:03 pm
mholloway wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 8:46 pm The closest thing to Algoritm is absolutely plain old classic FM8. They are not 1:1 by any means, but I can't think of any other FM synth out there that comes anywhere as close in terms of depth, flexibility and general programming style.
Tracktion f'em?
Thanks, yeh it looks really good! And it's MPE!

If you are on Mac, then Logic Pro has already two great synths cover (or even better than) Friktion and Parsec. It has Alchemy and Sculpture.

For FM, Blue 2 and Sytrus use Modulation Matrix, so it can't be crazier ;) Oh and for DX7 sounds, just pick up OPS7. It's an amazing emulation. I had tested several FM synths that can load sysex of the DX7 and compared them to my MODX. OPS7 is almost identical to the Yamaha MODX and DX7 V comes second. FM8 although not very near, but it's a great synth I wish they update it (at least bigger sizes).

Regarding Reason Studio, I'm biased against it, so anything for me is better :hihi:

EnGee wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 11:30 pm If you are on Mac, then Logic Pro has already two great synths cover (or even better than) Friktion and Parsec. It has Alchemy and Sculpture.

For FM, Blue 2 and Sytrus use Modulation Matrix, so it can't be crazier ;) Oh and for DX7 sounds, just pick up OPS7. It's an amazing emulation. I had tested several FM synths that can load sysex of the DX7 and compared them to my MODX. OPS7 is almost identical to the Yamaha MODX and DX7 V comes second. FM8 although not very near, but it's a great synth I wish they update it (at least bigger sizes).

Regarding Reason Studio, I'm biased against it, so anything for me is better :hihi:
Thanks for this. Going to check these out now...

Check out Plasmonic from Brian Clevinger the guy who wrote Absynth
https://rhizomatic.fr/
It's an absolutely fabulous sounding synth that does physical modeling!

Yes Plasmonic is a great Physical Modelling synth :tu: I also recommend Kaivo by Madrona Labs. Aalto also is a great synth by the same developer and it has a complex FM oscillator inspired by Buchla. Really fantastic sound quality but little bit a cpu hog ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yM4zd1LqYoY&t=21s

If only Octopus was still available 😢

Yeah I would actually try F'em before thinking it's a replacement. I think it has a "cheap" quality to it's sound. I think Aurora FM and OPS7 make much cooler FM sounds.

If you have Ableton Live Suite, then you also have great FM synth (Operator) and several Physical Modelling ones (Collision and Tension).

In Arturia Land, there are wonderful synths that have Additive, FM and PD: Synclavier V, DX7 V, CZ V and Buchla Easel V (I love the last one as it is a quality product). There is no shortage of quality synths. The problem is who has the time to master them :hihi:

Return to “Instruments”