vst guitar vs real thing

A forum for discussion of all things guitar!
RELATED
PRODUCTS

vunn wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 6:28 pm so im learning how to produce on a couple
of songs i can play the keyboard a bit have a basic understanding of theroy
and i can strum an acoustic
i want some guitar strumming chugging etc and i also like the shoegazey chorusey washed out guitar sound and clean 80s sound.

now the question should i get a vst to do this do you think ? like ujam or reason a list guitarist ( reason user)
or should i pull out the cheap guitar i bought a week ago i mean im 41 how long will it take before i can record some chugging or chords in my music like i said i can strum open chords on an acoustic
whats your advice time is against me
because i still have dreams...
try it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=43ENKqabFpQ&t=213s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fO2C1IaDv54

It's true
Why the hell did I come back to this God forsaken forum? :dog:

vunn wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 6:28 pm so im learning how to produce on a couple
of songs i can play the keyboard a bit have a basic understanding of theroy
and i can strum an acoustic
i want some guitar strumming chugging etc and i also like the shoegazey chorusey washed out guitar sound and clean 80s sound.

now the question should i get a vst to do this do you think ? like ujam or reason a list guitarist ( reason user)
or should i pull out the cheap guitar i bought a week ago i mean im 41 how long will it take before i can record some chugging or chords in my music like i said i can strum open chords on an acoustic
whats your advice time is against me
because i still have dreams...
As you can see, there's no pat answer. Since you play keyboards, you might save time getting a good guitar VST (Ample Sound has an excellent free one FYI; if you're willing to pay, I'd look at Orange Tree). Of course just sounding like a guitar is one thing, playing like a guitarist quite another, as guitar players don't play notes like keyboardists do.

But if you're willing to put in the time to improve and aren't trying to do anything crazy, it might be worth the effort to brush up and play a "real" guitar. Really it's something no one here can answer.

Do you idiots realise this thread is a year old and the guy you are giving advice to is banned?
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

cryophonik wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 6:41 pm Why not both? Layer the software version with your strumming to get a more organic sound.
Interesting idea; might try that.

BONES wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 5:38 am Do you idiots realise this thread is a year old and the guy you are giving advice to is banned?
I got here via time travel. Your reply does not exist yet.

Welcome back. How was the dump?

Musical Gym wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 10:09 am Welcome back. How was the dump?
It was good, I gave birth to a beautiful big brown baby boy.

This is one of those threads that go nowhere.

Guitar playing is less about theory than it is about technique. How the guitarist crafts the sound via note articulation. Picking techniques pick location and more go into the nuance of playing as well the tuning approach and a myriad of other things. A patchwork of vst plugins effects will never replace the technique in performance. In fact if you are truely dedicated to recreating actual technique it would take you considerably longer to produce a final recording via production means than simply mastering the techniques. The same can be said for all non keyboard instruments. Does that mean you can't achieve a credible song without having to master the guitar. Well that will always be subject to interpretation.

I'll never hear a vst that sounds like Chet Baker or Merle Travis or Kent Nishimura
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Ovj_XK6yqc

Dividing yourself between mediums will never let you master anything. You'll prolly just find yourself stumbling over the same issues again and again. I've fallen into this trap as well. That's why I've chosen to develop one core methodology and get better at that letting all else go. YMMV
Dell Vostro i9 64GB Ram Windows 11 Pro, Cubase, Bitwig, Mixcraft Guitar Pod Go, Linntrument Nektar P1, Novation Launchpad

Yeah, I've never been able to do a proper mockup with classical instrument VIs. It would be easier and faster for me to learn the basics of the cello.
Or, ask a neighbour who plays the real deal. At least, in the 'Before Times.'
“Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that."
-Martin Luther King Jr.

Bombadil wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 5:17 pm Yeah, I've never been able to do a proper mockup with classical instrument VIs. It would be easier and faster for me to learn the basics of the cello.
Or, ask a neighbour who plays the real deal. At least, in the 'Before Times.'
cello is easy, just rub the hairy bit of the stick on the strings, sorted!

or, you can use a "bow" of course.

I do most of my lead stuff with Orange tree Samples' libraries. For rhythm i often layer my own crappy playing over some vst stuff ( I find rhythm to be trickier to program and if yer playing simple chords it is not hard to get a decent sound). I've never had anyone notice that any of the guitar was faked or partially fake.
Don't F**K with Mr. Zero.

I can always hear when it's a key-player trying to sound like a guitarist. So obvious
expert only on what it feels like to be me
https://soundcloud.com/mrnatural-1/tracks

My acoustic sucks for direct recording and my DAW is next to the furnace, so I need to rely on other options.

I like the NI session guitarists. They sound pretty good and have a decent amount of Strum patterns.

I also have the AAS Strum instrument. It's terrible for electric guitar, but the acoustic instruments can sound passable.
Even if the piano player can't play, keep the party going.
http://www.soundclick.com/mumpcake
https://mumpfucious.wordpress.com/

Return to “Guitars”