Something new from G-Force (Mellotron MKII)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

JRR Shop - use "Forum" discount code to get an additional $30 off introductory price.

well, i'm totally flabbergasted.
:help: Ben (kvr), i want to change my nick, pleez!
"It dreamed itself along"

emasters wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 7:53 pm JRR Shop - use "Forum" discount code to get an additional $30 off introductory price.
That changes EVERYTHING !

martinjuenke wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 9:00 pm
emasters wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 7:53 pm JRR Shop - use "Forum" discount code to get an additional $30 off introductory price.
That changes EVERYTHING !
Of course -- I knew it would be the tipping point for many :-)

First I think this is a lovely product.

But GForce is clearly out of touch with the modern market. First they do a MAC only version of a VST. Offering a "synth" VST for the price of an orchestral library for Kontakt is crazy out of touch. At $129 US with a $99 intro price is becoming standard for this kind of thing. This £199.99 is $270 intro price in US. Out of touch and outrageous.

It is a lovely product though. I would give $99 for it without a hiccup.

Even if it was a ton of sampling it would be nothing next to sampling a full orchestra...and you can get those for a similar price that work in free Kontakt player.

WAY out of touch.

Not my cup of tea at all. I was hoping they might do something exciting, as I really do rate GForce. But a BossaNova machine? :dog:

Then 200 quid - which is NZ$400. :o :-o :shock: :!: :help: :?: :roll:

WTF? Is it April yet or something?
Last edited by kritikon on Tue Jan 25, 2022 11:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

I mean...I for one am relieved it's so expensive and out of line with what I'd be willing to pay for it. All temptation is gone. I mean, I've already got way, way, WAY more Tron sounds than any of my favorite bands who owned or had access to the real things back in the day ever did! The 60th variation of Flutes isn't going to make me write Strawberry Fields.

I do think it's a little funny how quite a few people came out with statements like "no way it's a MK 2 Mellotron" after it was correctly pointed out how closely the knobs looked in the pre-release video. Kudos to NikkiA for the excellent detective work back on page 2!

Last edited by Synthack on Sun Feb 13, 2022 8:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
.... ...

Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 11:18 pm I mean...I for one am relieved it's so expensive and out of line with what I'd be willing to pay for it. All temptation is gone.
Yeah, I might be willing to pay silly money for a GForce version of something acutely desirable like a Synthi/VCS3 etc, but even then I think I'd have to pause and grumble at $400. If I want to do crappy pads & GMidi over a bossanova or samba - I'm sure I can pick up an old Yamaha PSR somethingorother for 50cents. Or the owner could pay me to take it off their hands... :hihi:

The only thing I've ever wanted in an MTron update was an "Optigan Rhythm" mode that would allow all the rhythm loops to run in sync with each other like they do on the real thing. On the Optigan (and related instruments), when you changed a rhythm 3/4's of the way through a bar, the new rhythm would start 3/4's of the way through the bar rather than on beat 1.

Sadly, the only instrument I know that does is this, is the iOptigan on iOS. I don't believe the new MK II does it, but would love to be wrong on that. But...I do own an M1 Mac now. Wonder if that iOptigan app works on my lappy...

I have Tron VSTs from Arturia, Toontrack, IK Multimedia, UVI, and, of course, GForce.

What I *wanted* was for GForce to reclaim its spot at the top of that heap by taking their vastly superior library (which I own most of) and put it into an M-Tron Pro version 2 that would be worthy of music producers in 2022.

There's still a chance, but this wasn't it.
If every KVR member wrote one review a year we'd have 1340 reviews each day!

Yeah, no. At that price I’m looking at hardware not software.

Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 11:18 pm I mean...I for one am relieved it's so expensive and out of line with what I'd be willing to pay for it. All temptation is gone. I mean, I've already got way, way, WAY more Tron sounds than any of my favorite bands who owned or had access to the real things back in the day ever did! The 60th variation of Flutes isn't going to make me write Strawberry Fields.
I agree. I love the one GForce product I have (Oddity 2), but I didn't have any other Odyssey clones. I have a tone of tron sounds, and I don't need more, especially considering how little time I have these days to work on music. I'm pretty sure I wouldn't have much use for the rhythms in the new machine.
I'm sure this is a good product, but one of the things that kept me from buying M-Tron Pro was not being able to load my own audio files into it. I have two tron libraries for Sampletank (Sampletron and Squids' Tron Collection), UVI's Mello, and Arturia's Mellotron V. All three of those systems can be expanded with whatever audio I want to dump into them. I've seen nothing that hints that the new product will let the user do that.
If I had spent the money on M-Tron Pro and all the expansions, I'm be pretty upset if I couldn't load those sounds into the Mark II; I haven't seen anything about that. I get that the new product isn't a replacement for the old one, but I don't get why you would buy it if you have all of the expansions already.
I wish 'GForce good luck with the product, but I don't really think it's something I would get much use out of, considering what I already have.
I wish I could sing as well as the voices inside my head...

http://www.cdbaby.com/darkvictory

They’ve finally added host tempo sync!

I’m actually excited about this release, but unfortunately can’t justify the purchase.

From the video they made it clear this was geared towards a select group of Tron nerds, but it is a premium price. As always, congrats on the release. I’m sure down the road I’ll get this and nerd out then.

I'm kind of wondering why no one has created an actual mellotron sampler instrument that simulates each sample being on its own tape loop. That way you can load you own samples and have it colored by the slightly different tape sounds with varying levels of noise, etc. I mean, maybe it wouldn't sound interesting, but I'm sure there'd be a market for it.

Return to “Instruments”