Something new from G-Force (Mellotron MKII)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Last edited by Synthack on Sun Feb 13, 2022 8:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
.... ...

Oh? Do they have one? I haven't kept up with them for a while. I'll take a gander. Thanks.

Is this price an elaborate in-joke?

masterhiggins wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 4:18 am I'm kind of wondering why no one has created an actual mellotron sampler instrument that simulates each sample being on its own tape loop. That way you can load you own samples and have it colored by the slightly different tape sounds with varying levels of noise, etc. I mean, maybe it wouldn't sound interesting, but I'm sure there'd be a market for it.
That is what I was hoping for when I wrote this two years ago:

viewtopic.php?p=7602127#p7602127

Maybe it's too CPU heavy if you use a plugin like TAPE Mello-Fi on each of the 35 notes.

IK Sampletron 2 will load samples too, won't it?

Anyway, seems like that would have been a nice feature to include if the goal was to differentiate this from MTron Pro. No doubt the Mellotron is some sort of passion project for G-Force, but clearly I'm not the target market for... whatever it is they're doing with this one.

duncanparsons wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 6:23 pm
The host sync ability is the new thing here, and no other Mellotron plugin has this.
Exactly...

That's the way, Force it in there ;)

elton.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Lotuz2019 wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 7:24 am
masterhiggins wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 4:18 am I'm kind of wondering why no one has created an actual mellotron sampler instrument that simulates each sample being on its own tape loop. That way you can load you own samples and have it colored by the slightly different tape sounds with varying levels of noise, etc. I mean, maybe it wouldn't sound interesting, but I'm sure there'd be a market for it.
That is what I was hoping for when I wrote this two years ago:

viewtopic.php?p=7602127#p7602127

Maybe it's too CPU heavy if you use a plugin like TAPE Mello-Fi on each of the 35 notes.
Would be cool if they gave the option for people with strong cpus. I'm never playing more than like 4 notes at once anyway.

whyterabbyt wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 5:36 pm FWIW, restoring and processing 40-odd tapes per individual sound probably isnt quite as cheap to carry out as other methods of sample content creation... Probably not cheap to source either..
So why then spending all these ressources on a product you plan to sell at a price virtually no-one seems to be interesting in purchasing it for?
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

"M-Tron MkII software incorporates élastique Pro V3 by zplane.development."

I,for one, would love to see sync function incorporate to the M-Tron pro engine in a plausible update

DJErmac wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 3:06 pm
carlosigls wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 3:00 pm 249 pounds, that would be in euros close to 300 and to that you have to add the taxes, they have not gotten up on the right foot, or they think that people are stupid.
Seen from this angle, that’s an instabuy for me. :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper:
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Fernando (FMR)

I guess in the meantime it should be clear that MK-II is a completely new instrument with features covering essentially the rhytmical and accompaniment aspects of the old instruments.
As it has been already mentioned these features were saddly absolutely not covered in M-Tron Pro.

What we have to pay for is a new M-Tron engine able to:
. sync the samples to the host
. pitch the samples up and down with or without keeping the rhytm speed
. edit several parameters for each samples individually
. and of course a nice collection of styles which can be combined with nice instrumental fills (if you appreciate this kind of old fashion rhythms and sounds) which were not available until now

I find these are indeed great features.

But I also find that the host-sync and pitch features is something that should have been done long ago with the release of the Optitron expansion. I can understand that the original M-Tron engine did not (does not) allow these sync and pitch features but it was quite deceiving for me to realize after I bought the Optitron expansion that it was impossible to sync the rhythms to the host, you have to sync your song to the sample rhythm!

BTW I would like to add the following:
I own the great sample collection called "The Optigan® Archives Vol. 1 - Samples from the Optigan® Master Tapes" that you can find at www.optigan.com
In some way one can compare this collection to the styles collection in the MK-II.

As many already kno,w it is very easy in Kontakt to map such rhythmic loops and:
1. tempo sync them to the host
2. transpose them (with one button) up and down keeping the rhythm tempo

These two features are "possible"almost" per default in Kontakt, meaning there is really only a few settings to change:
. Activate "Ext" sync
. Select the algorithm "Time machine Pro"
. select "Zone" for Speed
Now the samples follow the host tempo and you can tune them with a single knob (as in M-Tron MK-II)

The individual edit of each sample is of course also possible in Kontakt but it needs a lot more to do than what you can do in the nice edit page in M-Tron MK-II.
BTW it reminds me of the Pianoteq Pro function where you can adjust every parameter for every single note. The difference being that in Pianoteq there are quite a lot of parameters!

At the end, though I really love M-Tron Pro and its great and unique library I must pass then because the price is simply much too high for me.
I guess that with such a high basic price even any upgrade path would be still to expensive.

Other than that it is a nice sounding release from G-Force ;-)
teacuemusic (Musicals)
youtube

teacue wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 10:44 am At the end, though I really love M-Tron Pro and its great and unique library I must pass then because the price is simply much too high for me.
I guess that with such a high basic price even any upgrade path would be still to expensive.
Ditto.

It's all samples anyway - so with M-Tron pro you'd just have to render the rhythm in your host and there you can then mess with time&pitch to your heart's content... which admittedly is a minor inconvenience - but then again: how often do you need this?
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

I think I understand the disappointment on display here. You can take the negative response several ways.

Clearly, most people expressing their opinions are to a degree fans of, or respect GForce Software and admire and have enjoyed some of their previously released products and were anticipating a similar feeling from their newest project.

It seems many feel the reveal was somewhat of an anticlimax and regard the top secret project to have been nothing particularly innovating or revolutionary as they perhaps expected or wanted it to be.

Sort of like how many fans of other popular developers like 'Fabfilter' always anticipate and look forward to their next new product unveiling. This particular GForce release seems to have gone down as poorly among most GForce users, as how it might be if Fabfilter's next big unveilling was revealed to be "Fabfilter Pro-Gain" (a simple gain knob but with a fancy schmancy GUI) ... RRP: £149.99 (excluding VAT) :lol:

Return to “Instruments”