Why is Rodriguez Jr's sound rich and fat, while mine sound thin and bland?

How to make that sound...
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I'm referring to, for example https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y2gQSzJBA_Y and https://youtu.be/zuAo4pIap3M , but this is generally true of his sound. Any beat of most of his recent work sounds rich and fat on its own, like a story. And then the synths... pure bliss!

Recently, I purchased his Masterclass from Aulart, and for the most part, I'm using the same tools that he is. The Kick 2 plugin, a Moog Sub 37, an SH-101, etc. Even when I am using similar patches, I have no success in coming close to that sound.

I mean, there's only so much you can do with a straight kick, generated by the same plugin, so I would rule out "playing" something wrong.

I'm obviously sidechaining my bass and other relevant instruments, using EQ to separate frequencies, I use Waves Aphex and Virtualizer plugins to add excitement, but my tracks still sound thin and bland in comparison.

So, I assumed that the issue might be saturation. I'm using Decapitator, NI Drive, Ableton Saturation, some ToneBoosters stuff, but it doesn't fix it.

This leads me to believe that there is more processing, perhaps some outboard, analog gear adding more "excitement" and color, as I know that he uses some specific mix consoles and analog gear.

What do you think is the main element behind turning making his sound so rich and deep?

Professional mastering.

You would have to show what you have. If you have a drumloop or small part of a song and what part of the song you're referring to so we can understand what you mean.

It's like saying why does my steak not taste like the one cooked by the chef.
Without tasting yours or seeing how you made it it's hard to know.
CHOOSX Remakes on my Youtube Channel

CHOOS wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 3:05 pm You would have to show what you have. If you have a drumloop or small part of a song and what part of the song you're referring to so we can understand what you mean.

It's like saying why does my steak not taste like the one cooked by the chef.
Without tasting yours or seeing how you made it it's hard to know.
One of the reasons why I'm asking is that Rodriguez Jr uses very minimal processing ITB, and I have a Live Project by him and the audio samples and loops are just tasty. So the magic has to happen outside, before it gets recorded.

For me, the question boils down to what gear/technique might be used in these scenarios to get close to these results. As in, if you have a kick and snare sample - what would you do to it to make it tasty like in his tracks, aside from EQ, comp & a saturation plugin, or two?

I only just now got a chance to listen to the tracks
Once you put a atmosphere/pad sound behind the groove it'll sound so much fuller.
You can hear it straight away when the track starts. Beats on their own usually sound too empty so they need some help

The 2nd haw a fuller shaker loop which helps and a full 808 under the kick going in and some added percussion.
It's minimal but you do need to fill up the minimalism somewhat

By the way this is a really good video on filling up drums. Slightly different genre but you can do similar things for your own loops
https://youtu.be/S8kGdCh55QQ

Thanks for the input, I'll check the video out tonight!

No worries
If you have a loop made and want to where the stems or full loop even I'm sure people in the threads will give you some suggestions

In first song, his pad is quiet and builds but is still behind everything. Panning helps keep things distinct. Narrowing the stereo field on some sounds--or making them mono--can help. EQ-ing the reverb with high-pass cutoff somewhere around 400-600 Hz can make for a cleaner low end. High cutting everything but the hihats and maybe snare above 7000 Hz can make them stand out. Of course you probably side-chain kick and base, but with Track Spacer or Smart:comp or something similar, you can side-chain away other clashing instruments. Automating an EQ to shift to more dry signal when a sound that covers the whole spectrum is playing by itself can preserve some of those nifty sounds (just have to be careful as it can become too noticeable a shift). Just some things to consider if you haven't already.
Doing nothing is only fun when you have something you are supposed to do.

delaiah wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 1:13 pmWhat do you think is the main element behind turning making his sound so rich and deep?
Bus compression, reverb? I don't know, there is nothing extraordinary....

*First track is by Claude VonStroke, not Rodriguez Jr.

delaiah wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 3:29 pm For me, the question boils down to what gear/technique might be used in these scenarios to get close to these results. As in, if you have a kick and snare sample - what would you do to it to make it tasty like in his tracks, aside from EQ, comp & a saturation plugin, or two?
Sprinkle on some pixie dust ofcourse!

Sorry to break the news, but magic is no part of it. All there is is what you have written down:
- start with good source material
- prepare it the best way you can

If you want to learn, you need to listen critically to your own work and be able to put a finger on what may be improved. That is yet another learning process, so I think you need help from others to point that out.
We are the KVR collective. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. Image
My MusicCalc is served over https!!

Dirtgrain wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 9:39 pm In first song, his pad is quiet and builds but is still behind everything. Panning helps keep things distinct. Narrowing the stereo field on some sounds--or making them mono--can help. EQ-ing the reverb with high-pass cutoff somewhere around 400-600 Hz can make for a cleaner low end. High cutting everything but the hihats and maybe snare above 7000 Hz can make them stand out. Of course you probably side-chain kick and base, but with Track Spacer or Smart:comp or something similar, you can side-chain away other clashing instruments. Automating an EQ to shift to more dry signal when a sound that covers the whole spectrum is playing by itself can preserve some of those nifty sounds (just have to be careful as it can become too noticeable a shift). Just some things to consider if you haven't already.
Thanks for the suggestions!

Money

He has more than you :hihi:

Also, I've never heard of him, but assume he is a popular act that has all his work treated by pros...

Mixing and mastering. There’s going to be saturation added, compressors added and stereo widening tools used at different stages.

My advice is to worry about the content, and if the goal is to self release then start the mixing and mastering journey.

Don’t get stuck in layering. It’s important to know when it’s needed but much of what you’re hearing is not about layering. It’s starting at the mixing stage.

You’re going to be amazed at how full you can make sounds with some solid mixing skills.

Return to “Sound Design”