Something new from G-Force (Mellotron MKII)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Anyone bought it yet? :ud:

Listening to the demos on GForce site and I’m thinking, who would want to use this in there music… it’s like a 1950’s housewife decided to make a loops sample library…
It’s very very niche.

thecontrolcentre wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 1:16 am Anyone bought it yet? :ud:
My grandpa bought it yesterday night. He was drunk to the bone again and looking one last time for this moose he thought was trapped in his bathroom, then we had this bet he wouldn't buy the last thing he would need in the world.
He laughed loudly, went straight to his computer (well... not really straight), purchased a licence for Mellotron MkII, puked, and fell asleep on the dog basket.
Please don’t read the above post. It’s a stupid one. Simply pass.

I'm not sure, but I get the impression GForce leans a bit more toward "labour of love" than "sell max quantities". You can practically hear Dave creaming his pants ("creams like a bastard!") in some of the videos. So I'm not going to judge it a strange business decision. I'm not really going to judge it a business decision.

It looks pretty cool. It's not for me.
the old free version may not work boots successfully on new generations of computers, instruments, and hardware

taijiguy wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 9:10 pm For those who haven't already guessed, the Mellotron MkII samples are NOT the same as in the original M-Tron Pro and they are NOT the same as the samples in the Streetly Tapes, even though they were produced by the same company. They are master tape samples (132 sets of 35 notes) that have passed through the electronics of a MkII Mellotron, which imparts a completely different timbre than those of an M400. The MkII and M400 are NOT the same and they do not sound the same.
Erm,

they say at least part of the samples are coming from the very same tapes.

Yeah, they will sound slighlty different to Mk1.

Not 300EUR different.

I'm a fan of Mello and own everything Gforcesoftware released for Mk1 but this one clearly isn't for me.

I would pay for the host sync upgrade for mk1 though.

k

pough wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 3:41 am I'm not sure, but I get the impression GForce leans a bit more toward "labour of love" than "sell max quantities".
Which kind of makes the price decision even stranger, no? I mean if they don't care about making money on this one, then they could make it affordable just as easily as make it elitist.

I mean the audience for this will be people who like Mellotrons, so I'm guessing most would already own M-tron. Yet I don't see average M-Tron owners going for this, so who is this aimed at? Rick Wakeman, Tony Visconti, Hans Zimmer and dentists that can afford both? Or purists that were holding out for the ultimate Mellotron and have finally got it? I don't get it.

thecontrolcentre wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 1:16 am Anyone bought it yet? :ud:
So fhere is about a handful of people both here and over at Gearspace (combined) who jumped to the defense of G-Force, but iIrc all of these nonetheless said that they won't purchase it - interestingly enough the main defender over at Gearspace obviously is - regardless of claiming he didn't have the money to get it - a sockpuppet. :hihi: A second defender, who is a serious Mellotron-afficionado, seems to possess in-depth inside-knowledge regarding the G-Force/Streetly Mellotron-related production process... :shrug:

If I haven't missed it, so far not a single person came up and said something along the lines of "yay - I am so getting this!"

If you're from in or around London and concidentally stumble upon a heap of marbles somewhere these days, these are probably Dave's.
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

Oh, btw., speaking about sock puppets and such, it shall be mentioned that Duncan Parsons (the dude with that failed Aston Martin analogy a few pages back) is affiliated with G-Force as well:

https://web.archive.org/web/20200403235 ... orce/about
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

Mr Arkadin wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 9:23 am
pough wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 3:41 am I'm not sure, but I get the impression GForce leans a bit more toward "labour of love" than "sell max quantities".
Which kind of makes the price decision even stranger, no? I mean if they don't care about making money on this one, then they could make it affordable just as easily as make it elitist.

I mean the audience for this will be people who like Mellotrons, so I'm guessing most would already own M-tron. Yet I don't see average M-Tron owners going for this, so who is this aimed at? Rick Wakeman, Tony Visconti, Hans Zimmer and dentists that can afford both? Or purists that were holding out for the ultimate Mellotron and have finally got it? I don't get it.
why do you want a discount or cheaper price on something you don't want in the first place?

Im pretty sure Dave & Co are allowed to make what they want, and charge what they want.

I'm also pretty sure I have never seen a reputable vst company lower prices because of a few hobbyists bitching on a forum...

Anyone been forced at gunpoint to buy it yet?

People mainly speak their mind - that's what this forum is for, after all. :shrug:

G-Force are obviously free to take this (massive) feedback any way they want. Personally I think it would be quite foolish to consider it irrelevant, but that is just my personal opinion.

but you have been up and down this thread calling people shills for no good reason. so, I guess it's only allowed to speak your mind if they agree with you.

gaggle of hermits wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 10:22 am why do you want a discount or cheaper price on something you don't want in the first place?
I own M-Tron an all expansions. I'm a Tron fan, love Prog Rock, you don't think I'm the target audience? OK. :shrug:

gaggle of hermits wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 10:37 am but you have been up and down this thread calling people shills for no good reason. so, I guess it's only allowed to speak your mind if they agree with you.

Are you adressing me with that?

If so, you are wrong, and clearly and obviously so.

I merely made two posts about that, both of which can be found on this very page of this thread (with one of them being a short addendum which is drectly beneath the other). And there is only a single reference to a single other contributor to this thread in total.

And this was only me pointing out that this contributor was afiliated with G-Force without there currently being any hint about this fact available - neither here nor on the G-Force website. There was no further accusation of any sort towards this person whatsoever.
And I absolutely made no other comment in that direction at all in the whole rest of this thread.

So claiming I "have been up and down this thread calling people shills for no good reason" is more than just an exaggeration. It is blatantly false. Will you please take it back?

Mr Arkadin wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 10:48 am
gaggle of hermits wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 10:22 am why do you want a discount or cheaper price on something you don't want in the first place?
I own M-Tron an all expansions. I'm a Tron fan, love Prog Rock, you don't think I'm the target audience? OK. :shrug:
I'm not aware of many prog rock albums that use canned bossanova loops but maybe I don't get out enough.

I get the "I must complete my 'Tron collection" thing but I'm also aware that if I bought this, I'd use it twice and then forget it about it – though it's vaguely possible I'd decide one day to do some tracks that need to sound like some retro home-organ mashup and maybe then go full Karen on the lack of a crossgrade discount.

Return to “Instruments”