Tech House Kick + Bass

How to do this, that and the other. Share, learn, teach. How did X do that? How can I sound like Y?
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Unaspected wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 8:13 pm If your DAW doesn't allow for side-chaining audio to control any plugin parameter then you would require an envelope follower plugin or something like Reaktor or other modular environment that can take audio in and spit out control signals.

Ideally we wouldn't be cutting frequencies out but attenuating them. It might be that you only require 12dB range of motion on a low shelf to allow the kick and bass to sit happily together. The nice thing about using a shelf is that gain reduction can be meticulously controlled and the effect can be quite transparent.

Hopefully you will have a method to influence the control curve of the envelope follower - but if not, then you can work on processing the side-chain using filters, gates, waveshapers, etc. Though that method would likely be more expensive so stock plugins might be best if you have to go down that route.
Nice one, dynamic EQ'ing seems to be the working choice for me now. I am finding it effective and less destructive tbh.
Don't trust those with words of weakness, they are the most aggressive

LeVzi wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 9:18 pm So what is the secret, how do they get the two to play at the same time and not distort or go mental loud ?
Side-chain the bass to the kick. It's very simple.

Biome_Digital wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 8:26 pm
LeVzi wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 9:18 pm So what is the secret, how do they get the two to play at the same time and not distort or go mental loud ?
No, it isn't, because when the bass ducks its obvious, with this style of music its not obvious at all. Hence the question. Seems dynamic EQ'ing works well.

LeVzi wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 8:28 pm
No, it isn't, because when the bass ducks its obvious, with this style of music its not obvious at all. Hence the question. Seems dynamic EQ'ing works well.
No it really is. But here's the trick. You only set the threashold to duck a tiny amount. Enough to stop the bass and kick distorting.

Biome_Digital wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 8:34 pm
No it really is. But here's the trick. You only set the threashold to duck a tiny amount. Enough to stop the bass and kick distorting.
yeah true, i've always done it that way, probably over done it tbh, but I actually find Dynamic eq'ing better, if its a slight amount, I wish the Pro-Q had attack release settings too tbh .

LeVzi wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 8:58 pm
Biome_Digital wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 8:34 pm
yeah true, i've always done it that way, probably over done it tbh, but I actually find Dynamic eq'ing better, if its a slight amount, I wish the Pro-Q had attack release settings too tbh .
This is why I dont think pro-q is as good for this thing.
Soft Knees - Live 12, Diva, Omnisphere, Slate Digital VSX, TDR, Kush Audio, U-He, PA, Valhalla, Fuse, Pulsar, NI, OekSound etc. on Win11Pro R7950X & RME AiO Pro
https://www.youtube.com/@softknees/videos Music & Demoscene

VolumeShaper is the best here. Just edit the shape.

Return to “Production Techniques”