Ol’ school.

A forum for discussion of all things guitar!
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I just restrung my 1980 G&L Skyhawk with a set of GHS Boomers from Univibe Music in San Francisco. This puts their purchase date around 1988.

:cool:

They seem fine. :lol:
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

I always wondered how long old strings last in the package. Now I know, thanks for that.
Dell Vostro i9 64GB Ram Windows 11 Pro, Cubase, Bitwig, Mixcraft Guitar Pod Go, Linntrument Nektar P1, Novation Launchpad

Of course, we can't hear the higher-frequency notes and overtones anymore, so they may be duller than you think. :hihi:

I still have around 15 sets of strings from 2009 when I made a trip to just strings.com in NH. Again though I will go on record saying that I dont care for new strings, dull has never been an adjective to describe my tone...btw nice to see GL, hope you're well :)
The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another's world. It requires profound, purpose‐larger‐than‐the‐self kind of understanding.

Then why did you buy them?
Dell Vostro i9 64GB Ram Windows 11 Pro, Cubase, Bitwig, Mixcraft Guitar Pod Go, Linntrument Nektar P1, Novation Launchpad

really?
The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another's world. It requires profound, purpose‐larger‐than‐the‐self kind of understanding.

Hey, Hink! Yeah, I drifted away for awhile, from KVR and music and life and people in general. A liver transplant last year turned that around. Playing more, enjoying things much more. Keep on rockin'!

wow, glad you're ok :shrug:

Thanks, Hink! It's good to have some color and texture back in my life, including hanging out here a bit again. And KVR is still good, though, as we all do, I miss the Old KVR. :D

Incidentally, I cleaned out the barn some last week, and found a pouch full of GHS and Ernie Ball and Fender guitar strings from sometime in the Nineties, in a backup bag I used to carry to gigs. Had a bunch of old cables from Mars Music, too. All perfectly good, I'm sure. But I tossed 'em.

Sometimes, you just outlive your gear.

GreyLion wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 6:13 am Of course, we can't hear the higher-frequency notes and overtones anymore, so they may be duller than you think. :hihi:
I’m duller than you think. :lol:

I’ve not used this guitar in a while. Mostly I use my Steinberger GM-4T, which has fresh strings on it and sounds good. The sound isn’t right for the track I’m working on, but the G&L is. I just haven’t really played it much in the past year and the strings were noticeably dull. I remember seeing the pack in my drawer before I moved this summer so I figured I’d throw those strings on it and that’s when I saw that they weren’t strings I’d picked up recently. They seem to sound pretty good, but the time since I last played it with new strings was also a time when I was using a Kemper Profiler and now I’m using an AxeFX 3. Too many variables to make a good judgment, but they’ll do until I get to a store for a new pack.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

Yeah, there's probably a thread here somewhere asking how often people change strings. I've read about guys saying they change before every gig, or once a month. I used to change every couple of years, if then. Still do, I guess. I change when they get to where they won't stay tuned.

Don't know about you, but I don't particularly like the bright, zingy sound of new strings anyhow. Maybe there could be a new fashion statement for pre-dulled strings, like with relicked guitars. (Which I think are dismally stupid, incidentally.)

Or maybe vintage strings. I bet pre-CBS Fender Bullets would auction for a fortune.

Return to “Guitars”