Synthwave song, generated by Python-code

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Here is example of the output of my Python based composition system. Every note is generated without human interaction by the program. The sounds are selected and mixed by me as well as the lyrics. Sung by "Synthesizer V". Drum patterns are by Melda Drummer.
I'll appreciate all comments!
https://audius.co/Syntetisaattori/europ ... t-roadtrip

The synth lead melodic part starting at 1:05 was pretty good, but some chord change choices left me a little cold.

Mix is very muddy. Really needs some serious EQ. The song itself is cool. And Synth V doesn't sound all that bad. Very similar to Vocaloid, which I used to use a lot.

Thank you for the comments! I try to work on the mix (I am not good at that) - just bought Softube Console and I hope it will make eq:ing and mixing more easy.

Another example, with some new algorithms, some sounds from Korg Modwave:

https://audius.co/Syntetisaattori/nights-in-tokyo

New track Syntax Error is sung by Emvoice Jay. Emvoice is good sounding and easy to use vocal synth, but some of it's features are limited - for example it can not import a midi-file.

https://audius.co/Syntetisaattori/syntax-error

The python song generator does a good job. What generator do you use?

Thanks! The generator is made by me and it is work in progress. There's like 5000 lines of object oriented code and it makes several different types of instrument lines for the song: pad, bass, arpeggios, ostinatos and various melodic lines. I use different approaches in those lines: rule-based, fuzzy etc. Everything is based on conventional music theory and I try to avoid 'randomness' as much as possible.

The system is fully automatic and there is no UI so to speak (I tweak the code). I'm mainly interested to find out how good songs can be generated without user interaction.

This is fun stuff, nicely done :tu:
I love the reverb on the vocal in Nights in Tokyo, what did you use? Sounds smooth and warm.

Thanks! The reverb is most likely Blackhole by Eventide, that's the one I use with vocals.

:tu: sounds great

Bansaw wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 1:47 am The synth lead melodic part starting at 1:05 was pretty good, but some chord change choices left me a little cold.
Yes, good point! The rule system for chord sequences is not very strong (or oriented strongly to certain style). In later versions I've experimented with more functional harmonies for example.

well it's better than some human compositions i've recently heard.

Sounded to my ears like it was building up to a chorus, or prechorus, that could have taken off at first at about 0.27 or 0.30. Waited for it at similar points but it never came. Too bad, it would have given goose bumps.

Nice. As a Python programmer myself, I'm curious about the specifics of the implementation of this. Is your code generating MIDI, or more than MIDI? How is the compositional output of your script actually connected to the instruments being triggered? Etc.

Return to “Music Cafe”