Flam (not Flim) ... [electronic]

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
User avatar
tomtom1
KVRian
Topic Starter
588 posts since 21 May, 2020 from germany

Post Sun Jan 23, 2022 5:45 am

Hi all,
if you want: have a listen...
I tried my best - for me it's okay now :D

Have a nice day!

https://soundcloud.com/treib-haus-818605447/flam
it is better to have a track with some mistakes than a track without any soul
myself in 2022

User avatar
eassae
KVRian
729 posts since 18 May, 2021

Post Sun Jan 23, 2022 6:09 am

Very nice! Love the mood->joyful with a touch of melancholy—what's the German word for that;)
eassae.com
Audius | SoundCloud | NAUGHT
"Arts and crafts have been canceled due to poor taste"—Bill Murray, Meatballs

User avatar
tomtom1
KVRian
Topic Starter
588 posts since 21 May, 2020 from germany

Post Sun Jan 23, 2022 7:51 am

eassae wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 6:09 am Very nice! Love the mood->joyful with a touch of melancholy—what's the German word for that;)
thx.
oh for that there isn't an extra word: it is "Freude und Melancholie". or maybe "Wehmut" (maybe that's what you mean (restrained grief, silent pain (when remembering something past, lost)).

btw. how is the bass, today? :wink:
it is better to have a track with some mistakes than a track without any soul
myself in 2022

User avatar
eassae
KVRian
729 posts since 18 May, 2021

Post Sun Jan 23, 2022 7:58 am

tomtom1 wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 7:51 am
eassae wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 6:09 am Very nice! Love the mood->joyful with a touch of melancholy—what's the German word for that;)
thx.
oh for that there isn't an extra word: it is "Freude und Melancholie". or maybe "Wehmut" (maybe that's what you mean (restrained grief, silent pain (when remembering something past, lost)).

btw. how is the bass, today? :wink:
Freud und Melancholie :tu: Bass :tu:
eassae.com
Audius | SoundCloud | NAUGHT
"Arts and crafts have been canceled due to poor taste"—Bill Murray, Meatballs

User avatar
vurt
addled muppet weed
93681 posts since 26 Jan, 2003 from through the looking glass

Post Sun Jan 23, 2022 9:25 am

german for melancholy is dusseldorf :shrug:


(apologies to anyone from there, it's a joke)(never been, sure it's lovely)

lovely work as ever tom 8)
nothing sticks out that needs any work here :tu:
advertise in this space.
call for rates.
555-wndrlnd

User avatar
tomtom1
KVRian
Topic Starter
588 posts since 21 May, 2020 from germany

Post Mon Jan 24, 2022 11:10 pm

vurt wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 9:25 am german for melancholy is dusseldorf :shrug:


(apologies to anyone from there, it's a joke)(never been, sure it's lovely)

lovely work as ever tom 8)
nothing sticks out that needs any work here :tu:
:lol: that is a really bad joke :lol: and it makes no sense at all. maybe that is the joke...
thx vurt for listening.
it is better to have a track with some mistakes than a track without any soul
myself in 2022

User avatar
tomtom1
KVRian
Topic Starter
588 posts since 21 May, 2020 from germany

Post Mon Jan 24, 2022 11:15 pm

eassae wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 7:58 am
tomtom1 wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 7:51 am
eassae wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 6:09 am Very nice! Love the mood->joyful with a touch of melancholy—what's the German word for that;)
thx.
oh for that there isn't an extra word: it is "Freude und Melancholie". or maybe "Wehmut" (maybe that's what you mean (restrained grief, silent pain (when remembering something past, lost)).

btw. how is the bass, today? :wink:
Freud und Melancholie :tu: Bass :tu:
btw. i could not decide which bass to take. then i split the signal, made 2 chains and put a crossfader on the end. now i can switch on the fly. there is at least a rest of 15%-20% of a buzzy growly bass in it. :lol:

don't know if it was worth the time.
:dog: :dog: :dog:
it is better to have a track with some mistakes than a track without any soul
myself in 2022

User avatar
eassae
KVRian
729 posts since 18 May, 2021

Post Tue Jan 25, 2022 4:47 am

tomtom1 wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 11:15 pm don't know if it was worth the time.
:dog: :dog: :dog:
You're never going to know until you try:) + You can never have too many different bass sounds.
eassae.com
Audius | SoundCloud | NAUGHT
"Arts and crafts have been canceled due to poor taste"—Bill Murray, Meatballs

User avatar
tomtom1
KVRian
Topic Starter
588 posts since 21 May, 2020 from germany

Post Wed Jan 26, 2022 8:05 am

eassae wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 4:47 am
tomtom1 wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 11:15 pm don't know if it was worth the time.
:dog: :dog: :dog:
You're never going to know until you try:) + You can never have too many different bass sounds.
ha ha :lol: ... we will see. btw. every synth-sound comes from the Subtractror (Reasons first synth https://www.reasonstudios.com/de/reason ... subtractor - over 20 years old). You can be honest: does the synth sound too oldschool (in this track i mean... :D)?
it is better to have a track with some mistakes than a track without any soul
myself in 2022

User avatar
eassae
KVRian
729 posts since 18 May, 2021

Post Wed Jan 26, 2022 10:48 am

tomtom1 wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 8:05 am ha ha :lol: ... we will see. btw. every synth-sound comes from the Subtractror (Reasons first synth https://www.reasonstudios.com/de/reason ... subtractor - over 20 years old). You can be honest: does the synth sound too oldschool (in this track i mean... :D)?
No, not to me.

I would have dropped a PSP Vintage Warmer or some other distortion plug-in on the lead and added a little compression, but that's me(And I guess that would make it more old school(buy hey, I'm OAF)). What you have is sounding great.
eassae.com
Audius | SoundCloud | NAUGHT
"Arts and crafts have been canceled due to poor taste"—Bill Murray, Meatballs

User avatar
vurt
addled muppet weed
93681 posts since 26 Jan, 2003 from through the looking glass

Post Thu Jan 27, 2022 10:17 am

tomtom1 wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 8:05 am
eassae wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 4:47 am
tomtom1 wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 11:15 pm don't know if it was worth the time.
:dog: :dog: :dog:
You're never going to know until you try:) + You can never have too many different bass sounds.
ha ha :lol: ... we will see. btw. every synth-sound comes from the Subtractror (Reasons first synth https://www.reasonstudios.com/de/reason ... subtractor - over 20 years old). You can be honest: does the synth sound too oldschool (in this track i mean... :D)?
and the minimoog is ancient in comparison, still gets used for massive bass (via emulations) even in modern stuff.
a bass is a fundamental, low end filler. nothing more, all you need to worry about is "do i like this bass sound?"

leave arguments about old school and new school to idiots.
does it groove? done!
advertise in this space.
call for rates.
555-wndrlnd

User avatar
Frantz
KVRAF
5795 posts since 18 Jul, 2008 from New York

Post Fri Jan 28, 2022 9:57 pm

I really enjoyed the melody and sounds. The drums were cool but occasionally a little busy.

Excellent overall!
eassae wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 6:09 am Very nice! Love the mood->joyful with a touch of melancholy—what's the German word for that;)
How about calling it "bittersweet" in English? :)

User avatar
eassae
KVRian
729 posts since 18 May, 2021

Post Sat Jan 29, 2022 8:46 am

Frantz wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 9:57 pm I really enjoyed the melody and sounds. The drums were cool but occasionally a little busy.

Excellent overall!
eassae wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 6:09 am Very nice! Love the mood->joyful with a touch of melancholy—what's the German word for that;)
How about calling it "bittersweet" in English? :)
That would be the word :)
eassae.com
Audius | SoundCloud | NAUGHT
"Arts and crafts have been canceled due to poor taste"—Bill Murray, Meatballs

User avatar
tomtom1
KVRian
Topic Starter
588 posts since 21 May, 2020 from germany

Post Mon Jan 31, 2022 7:13 am

Frantz wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 9:57 pm I really enjoyed the melody and sounds. The drums were cool but occasionally a little busy.

Excellent overall!
eassae wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 6:09 am Very nice! Love the mood->joyful with a touch of melancholy—what's the German word for that;)
How about calling it "bittersweet" in English? :)
hi frantz,
thanks for stopping by. i tried to "recreate" the feel of old aphex twin tracks - with speedy, glitchy drums. i made also a version with quiter drums - but i didn't like it.
the sounds are quite simple (one old synth) - but I have chosen them carefully (at least is that what i think :) ) - glad you like it.

bittersweet? yes, almost all my track are in minor - only 1-2 are in major keys. I'm just a little melancholic. :wink:
it is better to have a track with some mistakes than a track without any soul
myself in 2022

User avatar
tomtom1
KVRian
Topic Starter
588 posts since 21 May, 2020 from germany

Post Thu Feb 03, 2022 3:26 am

vurt wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 10:17 am and the minimoog is ancient in comparison, still gets used for massive bass (via emulations) even in modern stuff.
a bass is a fundamental, low end filler. nothing more, all you need to worry about is "do i like this bass sound?"

leave arguments about old school and new school to idiots.
does it groove? done!
hi vurt, I like the synthesizer although it has some weaknesses and doesn't sound as powerful as maybe a moog. I was just interested in how other people feel. E.g. i then used this one synthesizer exclusively for this piece, because i found that the different sounds fit together well.
it is better to have a track with some mistakes than a track without any soul
myself in 2022

Return to “Music Cafe”