Once bitten, twice shy & the opposite

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I would never go back to studio one, because it was so consistently unstable over 2 years.
I would never buy another M4L device because 4 MFL stuff is too often unstable.
I would never buy a Melda plug in because the few I have demoed I have quickly been uninspired by.
HOWEVER
Serum was so good that when looking for an Arp it was a no brainer to get Cthulhu.
Zebra 2 was so good that I will always give u-he stuff the benefit of the doubt.
Valhalla vintage verb worked so nicely that (over a period of a year) I got all their plug ins.

So

What is the software that ‘bit’ you so that you wouldn’t trust it again ?
And what is the software that did the opposite ?
Zen

you had a bad experience with studio one; others live on it. your experiences don't speak for everyone. so what is this thread actually about? sorry, just trying to understand what the point is...

I use Studio One since v1, basically, since the release and never ever had any issues with it. I am talking about Win version here, not sure how its on Macs.

And I thought this thread was about the one-hit wonder from the 80's... :hihi:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jRS2iQxziKs

i would never buy an FXpansion plugin again :hihi:

(though Guru and Geist 2 were and still are great)
The GAS is always greener on the other side!

fisherKing wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 3:53 pm you had a bad experience with studio one; others live on it. your experiences don't speak for everyone. so what is this thread actually about? sorry, just trying to understand what the point is...
Of course , everything is subjective, there is no objective truth -
The thread is asking others to share THEIR subjective experiences both positive and negative.
Zen

the botched migration from the old site put me off audio damage in a huge way. Still can't get my old plugins without directly contacting them every time I need a new install, a bunch of products I own from them don't exist anymore even as legacy downloads without again directly contacting them every time I need a new install, etc.

U-he consistently supporting and updating their products gives me a load of confidence in supporting them going forward. Always up to date on major OS updates, plugin formats, everything but z2 has a (not perfect but pretty good and I think they'll be improving it further with midi 2.0) MPE implementation.

I would not buy from Native Instruments anymore. I have some old stuff that works without online connection, but anything since Native Access is a no no. I would not buy from Vengeance anymore because of their copy protection desaster and the way they handled things. Not to mention their older plugins are not getting fixed. This trust is gone. Melda is a no too. Bought too cheap, didn't work, learned from it.

Surprised by Toneboosters. Did check them out back then for being inexpensive as well, but they did do good work and now I love them. Hornet is an eco system I grew into as well, despite finding them some kind of weird in the beginning.

None of that shit bothers me. I work on the principle that everybody will get it wrong now and then so everyone gets the benefit of the doubt. I'd even buy a Mac, if they ever made one worth owning, and I really hate Apple.

Of course, the opposite is also true - just because someone makes one product I really like doesn't mean they get a free pass for life. e.g. I really like Saurus but it hasn't made me even slightly interested in any other Tone2 products. I just take each individual thing on its merits. There are plenty of synths I have an emotional attachment to but no corporations, or even small developers.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

* Wusik (Don't get Wil'K again).
* Pace/EDEN and therefore iLok - either by dongle or soft. Or any software that requires their system software to install.
* IK-Multimedia
* Roland

Oh, and for the opposite that have gain a 99.99% trust from me...
AAS, Modartt, u-He.

BONES wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 12:33 am None of that shit bothers me. I work on the principle that everybody will get it wrong now and then so everyone gets the benefit of the doubt. I'd even buy a Mac, if they ever made one worth owning, and I really hate Apple.

Of course, the opposite is also true - just because someone makes one product I really like doesn't mean they get a free pass for life. e.g. I really like Saurus but it hasn't made me even slightly interested in any other Tone2 products. I just take each individual thing on its merits. There are plenty of synths I have an emotional attachment to but no corporations, or even small developers.
Finally something I can agree with Bones on! I've had issues with plugin companies here and there but in the end take the same approach as Bones. I've also lowered my expectations.

I’ll never touch Initial Audio again, they refuse to fix a crucial bug for years. I even stop checking if they fixed it by accident. I’ll never invest in ProTools, even if I would build a professional grade studio. Because as consultant I have to deal with them still and the support level is the worst in the industry unless you pay for reporting bugs… (they should pay me instead…)
The best experience ever is with Roger Linn, not only for creating the best expressive controller, also the love he puts into supporting his customers.
Very good also Bitwig for the inspiration it delivers as well as its stability of their product… Also great both in terms of satisfying features and support Acon Digitals Acoustica…

Waves - good Plugins, exceptional quality, never had any bugs

Plugin alliance - interesting Plugins though serious bugs in many of them (especially unfiltered audio).

Newfangled - cool stuff!

Arturia - cool stuff! I was blown away by pigments.

Melda - sometimes you need a swiss army knife 8)

I too bought something of Melda’s, whatever it even was. Never will again, because: a) dat interface; b) plugins nothing special anyway; and c) ridiculous resale costs.

Madrona Labs, exactly the opposite, and also are nice people to deal with. Quite tempted to buy their next synth, even though strictly speaking I probably don’t need it, and in fact I’m not even in the market for another softsynth at all.

Harrison MixBus - the most unstable DAW I ever had "opportunity" to work with. It was crashing minimum once per hour. I'll never use this or any other DAW based on Ardour. It's a waste of time.
Seeing their fiasco of making "EQ that emulates hardware EQ" which in reality doesn't try to emulate anything and it's just basic EQ, doesn't leave any faith in this company.

Acoustica Audio - great plugins sonic-wise, horrible stability in Cubase. I had some of their plugins, one is still my favourite "console emulation plugin" that I can't find alternative. But instability in Cubase + promises that it's already fixed while it's obviously isn't, also left me with bad impression. I sold everything I had from AA and... Somehow I can still produce without their plugins ;)

Plugin Alliance - I had many of their plugins. I was blinded by their marketing. Now I'm left with acme, hg-2 and... bx_tuner :D (for real, tuner is way better than many others). Their console emulations are probably the most unimpressive pligins that I ever heard. I really don't understand why people are raving so much about. Every few weeks they have another "best eva" EQ or Compressor, and they all sounds to me just "ok", yet another EQ with just a bit different shapes than the previous one. I'm not into collecting Pokémons or PA plugins. A lot of words, marketing and nice GUI but sonically... Meh, nothing special.
Yet, what really burned me are Dirk and his "psycho cult". It's incredible how user base can disgust a man to the level that he doesn't want to buy another product from a company.

I don't know if there's opposite: a software or software company that I could trust blindly. It's nature of software (development) that once something works, sometimes doesn't, sometimes it's a shitshow, sometimes it's amazing. I had "bad moments" with many companies when stability was a concern, usually because of shitty licensing system (like Waves, NI). But it's different when it's one time issue or recurring/neverending problem.

Softube - I didn't tried all of their plugins but those that I did, always left me with the same level of impression that their plugins are good sonic-wise. If I had to, I would probably said that I can trust that when I buy their another plugin, I'll not be disappointed.

Should I say Cubase because I'm using it for year, successfully? Probably. But they have some bugs and usually new version is bringing another bugs. I don't know if, for example Cubase 12 will not have a bug that will affect my workflow to the point that I wouldn't be able to use it. And it will take them several years to fix it because it's major to me but minor to others.

lol that's a lot of negatively in one post, but I'm just after plugin detox and I remember mostly bad experiences ;)
Last edited by pixel85 on Sat Jan 29, 2022 9:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Instruments”