One Synth Challenge #157: FB-7999 by Full Bucket Music (Taron Wins)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
FB-7999

The Sound Of Merlin wrote: Sun Apr 17, 2022 10:19 am I can't resist adding what I feel and think while reading conversations like these. Why do so many people need to search for deeper meanings behind something as simple like sheer emotion? Or beauty. Art. Well within this context it's about music. One can simply just enjoy it. Shed a tear or be happy, become nervous or whatever? Why archeology and dusting off deeper and forgotten meanings or truths? You know.... all these words. To me it feels as if those are not about music itself. It reads as if it's all about searching for deeper meanings related to who we are and want to become. To validate our existence. But music itself doesn't need that. It's just what it is. And we don't need it either. We are just who we are. I would like to break a lance for enjoying ourselves and the things we love for what we are, for what it is. There is no meaning. There are no underlying truths. There is love, light, energy, happiness, beauty. And their counterparts are there as well. And that's it. When I make music I just want to live the music. Enjoy it. Express my self only through music. To me this is the roadmap towards depth (and hights) that works for me. Hahaaa! I hope my words will arrive as an addition to the things you believe in. It's not meant to critisize anyone's beliefs at all.
Oh, no, absolutely. It's not about whether or not music is tied to emotion, that goes without saying. It's about how we explore or arrive at the music we make, like where we draw from. And even there are different phases we go through as we become more well-versed in our ability to compose. Knowing or realizing that it is about communication can help to accept certain conventions and/or break them deliberately. For professionals like you and those, who are merely experienced, like myself, it is much less trouble to "speak music", but many just feel the passion to make music without fully understanding what it really is, occasionally stumbling about in some sort of confusion or afraid to submit to "conventions". Knowing that it is communication helps to accept the idea of musical words, structure, arcs and what they are for. The more our vocabulary increases, the more not only can we express our ideas, but actually recognize and understand our own ideas to the point when things can simply flow through us. "Make stuff pretty" isn't really much of a guidance for many, you know, hehehe. :roll:
I remember how I used to be afraid of conventions, like they were confinements. Took me a long time to realize that they were grammar, really.
All this talk is not about projecting too much "meaning" into it, but just to help gain more strength and clarity about how one can go about it, making music. That it is "fun" should go also without saying and it should bring us a real joy or even consolation at times, relaxing, exhilaration, whatever... ...I'm just always wondering, if a certain hint could help people to find the level of control they may still be missing, possibly by understanding "why". :phones:

It should be clear to everyone by now that we're not the same person. Big hug my dear friend.

:hug:

Taron wrote: Sun Apr 17, 2022 11:40 am:hug:
:tu:

any creative pursuit is an exploration of the realm of possibilities. not necessarily in search of any particular meaning, often just for the joy of discovery. your previous experiences and inclinations are your map and compass, and ensure that everyone will bring back home a different treasure. for others to share in the joy, or not. :)

rilderec wrote: Sun Apr 17, 2022 10:27 am Good morning,
(Bad English)
I’m third from the end for my first OSC. :ud:
I am far from being a pro and it makes me want to continue doing OSC to improve myself. Maybe one day I’ll be in the top five. The design of OSC is motivating.
In reality I made my song in a few days and I neglected the equalization and mastering (in which I am very beginner) and I used mainly basic presets of the synth.
I’m happy because my favorite song from OSC#157 is in the top 5. 8)
Finally, my vote is not representative of the final result, I was surprised to see that tracks I had placed high, were found at the bottom, and vice versa.

Have a good day and see you soon
It's okay, not everyone here starts with the top 5!) You accurately described my first OSC, work time, "methods", place... :D I think that's how many people start here. You'll be surprised how quickly you can grow as a musician in every sense in this community!) Just keep doing it and chat on all topics of interest! :tu:
Oh, by the way, it's probably time to traditional link on Discord OSC for those who want to plunge into the life of the community with their heads:
https://discord.gg/S2amNdhy

rilderec wrote: Sun Apr 17, 2022 10:27 am Good morning,
(Bad English)
I’m third from the end for my first OSC. :ud:
I am far from being a pro and it makes me want to continue doing OSC to improve myself. Maybe one day I’ll be in the top five. The design of OSC is motivating.
In reality I made my song in a few days and I neglected the equalization and mastering (in which I am very beginner) and I used mainly basic presets of the synth.
I’m happy because my favorite song from OSC#157 is in the top 5. 8)
Finally, my vote is not representative of the final result, I was surprised to see that tracks I had placed high, were found at the bottom, and vice versa.

Have a good day and see you soon
It's a good track you made though. Just a tough competition. I liked it and many others all over the rankings.

Hey ! I can't answer individually to all those amazing messages you guys sent, I was thinking I got carried away and you people are adorable. Thanks a lot, this community is awesome ! :hug:

[EDIT] And congrats to the winners and to everybody, just saw the results :)

Taron wrote: Sun Apr 17, 2022 11:05 am
Oh, no, absolutely. It's not about whether or not music is tied to emotion, that goes without saying. It's about how we explore or arrive at the music we make, like where we draw from. And even there are different phases we go through as we become more well-versed in our ability to compose. Knowing or realizing that it is about communication can help to accept certain conventions and/or break them deliberately. For professionals like you and those, who are merely experienced, like myself, it is much less trouble to "speak music", but many just feel the passion to make music without fully understanding what it really is, occasionally stumbling about in some sort of confusion or afraid to submit to "conventions". Knowing that it is communication helps to accept the idea of musical words, structure, arcs and what they are for. The more our vocabulary increases, the more not only can we express our ideas, but actually recognize and understand our own ideas to the point when things can simply flow through us. "Make stuff pretty" isn't really much of a guidance for many, you know, hehehe. :roll:
I remember how I used to be afraid of conventions, like they were confinements. Took me a long time to realize that they were grammar, really.
Sometimes this forum makes me feel so far away from being an actual musician. I like where I come from. I love that musical impulse that comes from not knowing what I'm doing at all. I like my simplicity. I realize I have room to improve, but I also realize that I never want to know the language fluently, because I'd never surprise myself. Rules, conventions, I'm not sure I want to learn them. Just use my ears. Not intellectualize. I think its a lot easier to break a rule if you don't know it in the first place. Just my opinion.

Aro wrote: Sun Apr 17, 2022 9:39 pm
Taron wrote: Sun Apr 17, 2022 11:05 am
Sometimes this forum makes me feel so far away from being an actual musician. I like where I come from. I love that musical impulse that comes from not knowing what I'm doing at all. I like my simplicity. I realize I have room to improve, but I also realize that I never want to know the language fluently, because I'd never surprise myself. Rules, conventions, I'm not sure I want to learn them. Just use my ears. Not intellectualize. I think its a lot easier to break a rule if you don't know it in the first place. Just my opinion.
HAAA! :hug:
That's where I come from, too, Aro! I used to be exactly in your boat, I promise you. Funny enough, I would- unbeknownst to myself- do quite some sophisticated stuff without having had the first clue about it. Even today I couldn't name most of my chords, but it's gotten dramatically better over the last year for some reason.
But that's not the point at all. It's more a matter of consciousness, awareness of how to explore in a way that can be shared. Musical notes are truly mathematic and their harmonic relationship can be explored from simple math to any degree of complexity. There alone is endless surprise! But beyond that... if you begin to channel music, you just sort of have a feeling of what to reach for and sense the dare, if you go next to it! It suddenly opens up a whole new world of sound to you and you gradually become in charge of it. It's a beautiful feeling and there's never an end to the wonder it brings to you. Don't let the term "language" or "convention" scare you- as I said earlier- it's not a confinement at all.
And NEVER trouble yourself with worries about not "knowing" enough. Just do it, just go for it, and when you add a layer of awareness to your continuing growth, you'll find even more mysterious beauty deeper and deeper into the structure of sound. It's gorgeous and I love it!

Oh, hey, check out my old Triple Cheese track, if you remember this one. I was reaching for some completely insane chords and I still wouldn't know at all how to even search for what they could be... (I think). Absolutely nuts and pure feeling! And, yeah, I'm trying to convince you, because with your passion for music, you can start making steps into a true paradise of your own making, if you allow yourself to. Don't be worried!

Wow!! This round I feel like I took a step closer to figuring out "my style", whatever that will end up being, so I'm really happy that it was so well received. Congrats to the other winners! And a big thank you to RichardSemper and bjporter and to Full Bucket!!

For a prize, may I please have Luftrum Bioscape? And I can also ask for Yuli Yolo Vital soundsets, right?

Also: voted! Great music everyone!

Ah, you did that flower shooter soundtrack, hehehe, that was awesome! :hyper:
I just went through your SC stuff. I had no idea you were participating in so many OSCs. It's like while I dropped off the radar, you appeared and stayed on. Loads of fun tracks, really. Seems to me like you're quite true to your style and there's no need whatsoever to depart from it either! VERY Enjoyable! :tu:

Aro wrote: Sun Apr 17, 2022 9:39 pm Sometimes this forum makes me feel so far away from being an actual musician. I like where I come from. I love that musical impulse that comes from not knowing what I'm doing at all. I like my simplicity. I realize I have room to improve, but I also realize that I never want to know the language fluently, because I'd never surprise myself. Rules, conventions, I'm not sure I want to learn them. Just use my ears. Not intellectualize. I think its a lot easier to break a rule if you don't know it in the first place. Just my opinion.
I didn't go through all the previous lectures ... but I try to remember a joke. Ah.
It was about Heisenberg, Richard Feynman and Einstein who met on Dec 17th 1956, 18:00 in the "The Eagle Pub" in Cambridge. They met after all three visiting a lecture about greek philosophy just for fun and have a few beers afterwards. Then they all three talked about Mozart moking Salierie for always doing these 4 bar filter open-up sweeps since decades ... but that was only to have a good laugh for the first pint. For the 2nd to 5th pint (or was it 6 pints? theres some uncertainty about which way the 6th pint actually went, or whether it was ordered or not at all, historians still dispute) they centered about how they invented mind blowing stuff feeling cozy in the given frame of mind of physics and how they nevertheless became so big they have a wikipedia entry ... But actually, sorry, I forgot the punch line. Maybe you can look it up and copy/paste it here, Aro.
Punch line: You shouldn't have wasted time reading my post. But probabaly some people might recommend you to invest your time find your own unique way. If you don't do this (music) for the money, then do what ever you want. Go freaking crazy (but don't expect anything). If on the other hand you want to be a pop star I would recommend the video Axis of Awesome 4 chord songs.
Sorry for the mocking. It's easter holiday and my brain was bored so I came up with this insidious stuff just to be the anti-thesis and make the thesis shine.

Good afternoon, morning or night everyone. I choose a Pandora's Box this time: the Modelonia v2 Synthesizer. Thanks you all!

Aro wrote: Sun Apr 17, 2022 9:39 pm Sometimes this forum makes me feel so far away from being an actual musician. I like where I come from. I love that musical impulse that comes from not knowing what I'm doing at all. I like my simplicity. I realize I have room to improve, but I also realize that I never want to know the language fluently, because I'd never surprise myself. Rules, conventions, I'm not sure I want to learn them. Just use my ears. Not intellectualize. I think its a lot easier to break a rule if you don't know it in the first place. Just my opinion.
I would like to hear what you mean by the term "actual musician"? Perhaps we are all equally far from this concept)
Try to look at it as a ladder, where you climb the next step and immediately see the next one, in fact, this ladder is endless so you have nothing to fear - I think none of us and our closest descendants will master this language perfectly; maybe in thousands of years, if humanity turns to the creative path of development right now. Your creative impulse is not in danger there, from each stage of knowledge a view opens up to even greater expanses of the unknown! And I probably understand what you're talking about - thousands of musicians around are trying to find (money, fame, happiness, ... underline the correct one) following the beaten paths, the Internet is flooded with guides: "How to do it the way that cool musician did it", millions of tracks are terrifyingly similar, and against this background it is not difficult to get disgusted with learning anything for fear of getting stuck on one of these paths. But there are other ways, lost, inconspicuous, but leading much further into the unknown. How many musicians there are who do such simple things, but they just work as they should, although these musicians have decades of training and self-improvement behind their backs. But they needed this training so that they could create their music without intellectualizing, but simply using their ears. And if we could ask them, they would surely say that they have not yet come a step closer to the border of knowledge, on the contrary, it is getting further and further for them!
In my opinion, this forum is a great place to find your own unique path, because everyone here has different points of view, and communicating with a lot of people you will not hear the same thing a hundred times, but only get a lot of food for thought. As for the rules and conventions, there are so many of them now that it's much easier to fall under them than to break them if you don't know them.
In conclusion, I have written so much because this topic is as close to me as it is to Taron and some others. Heh, you know... I really love illusions! And once at school I wanted to learn illusions, prestidigitation, I learned a few tricks and even performed at a school event, but I quickly gave it up because I realized that magic disappears on the other side, turning into a technique. But this is not the case with music! Music is one of the few types of magic left in our world. Personally, neither music school, nor the experience of a rock band, nor articles and books, nor several years of OSC brought me so close to fluency in the language that I became less surprised at what was opening up ahead all the time. You can become more mediocre by listening to mediocre music and communicating with mediocre people, but there is neither one nor the other in OSC! :tu:

Return to “Instruments”