One Synth Challenge #159: Surge XT (j5v Wins!)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Surge XT

We'd love people using the nightly version, in case there are bugs we missed! Overall the nightly is pretty solid, there are no known issues that cause a crash, so feel free to have fun with latest and greatest!

RichardSemper wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 9:06 am
ELEX wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 11:40 pm
Rahodees wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 11:16 pm
J.Ruegg wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 11:14 pm
Rahodees wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 10:55 pm Rules question, possible discussion: In Surge XT we can load basically any sound we want as a wavetable, right? Are there rules limiting the use of this feature? (I feel there ought to be.)
With wavetable synths usually you are free to import any wavetable you want as long as it's not exploited as a sample player. For example loading a drum sound, or a piano, and using it as a sample player.
Hmm okay. I think I understand. To clarify (I'm new to all this), it'd also be using it as a sample player if I imported a recording of someone typing on a typewriter, leaves rustling, or if I imported a sound recorded from another synth right? So in other words, is the basic rule that any importat WT must not be recognizeable, nor originate prior to application of various FX, as a natural or manmade sound that could occur in the physical world?
Exactly. And any tables you want to use need not be restricted to two frames. That's already been clarified not that long ago, during the WhispAir round.
MadMcMan wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 12:20 am what about the presets included that have wavetables?
Excellent questions. We have had many discussions on this in the past.
I think we could add the following to the general rules for clarification:

WAVETABLES
Sometimes we feature a synth with wavetable capability. On these occasions the following will apply:
- All built in wavetables may be used without restriction.
- Imported waveforms are allowed, but these must not be used for straight sample playback i.e. to replicate the recorded instruments, vocal phrases, real world sounds etc. directly, but rather to synthesise, morph and mangle the waveforms.
Remind me, because I've forgotten, and I'm sure other people will ask: are there any restrictions on the use of the Surge XT FX plugin?

Or, to put it another way, are they considered to be part of the synth, or not part of the synth?
Last edited by Double Tap on Mon May 02, 2022 12:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

That's no different than using Surge XT's audio in oscillator to patch a sound through its FX. By all means do it.

In fact, massive props if anyone does a song that ONLY uses Surge XT and Surge XT Effects (I guess not that difficult since there's a bunch of Airwindows inside...). :D

The Surge XT FX can be considered part of the synth whether used internally or external plugin :tu:

So Richard, this means just about every modulation effect is legal then ... either via the internal Surge XT FX chain, or via the Surge XT FX plugin?

e.g. chorus. , freq shifters, distortions, phasers etc ...

If so, we can have a wild month with electronic effects :D :hyper:

dB

As long as they're in Surge, which is only about 80% of all effects in existence.
Celebrating 50 years of pants with frogs in them

doctorbob wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 1:35 pm So Richard, this means just about every modulation effect is legal then ... either via the internal Surge XT FX chain, or via the Surge XT FX plugin?

e.g. chorus. , freq shifters, distortions, phasers etc ...

If so, we can have a wild month with electronic effects :D :hyper:

dB
If I can just find some time might even join in. I did the other two Surge rounds, first with 2 instances, then one instance. this time fx only? hmmm...
2 mins of silence - with heaps of delay, distortion, chorus and reverb! :)

If we're going will with effects - let's go for it and allow paid plugins! It will be a free for all. Interestingly, Surge does not have any built in compressors?

And Richard - please do a song this month!

ontrackp wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 2:06 pm If we're going will with effects - let's go for it and allow paid plugins! It will be a free for all. Interestingly, Surge does not have any built in compressors?
Yes it does - the Conditioner. And then a bunch of Airwindows dynamics processors.

ontrackp wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 2:06 pm And Richard - please do a song this month!
We will do another month with paid plugins allowed. With surge being so well endowed on the fx side its better to encourage use of the surge fx imo.
I will try and do something this month. What I would love is for something from bjporter. Its been way too long. Maybe we need to give him some encouragement.

RichardSemper wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 2:19 pm
I will try and do something this month. What I would love is for something from bjporter. Its been way too long. Maybe we need to give him some encouragement.
Come on Brian, dare to make a track this month. I'll try too. What do you say? :party: :tu:

Edit:

In OSC156-157-158 I tried to participate but I couldn't finish anything. It was not wasted time, because I was able to create some wonderful presets, which I plan to use in the future. But this month I'm going to try to put something together. :pray:
Last edited by L-EctroBit on Mon May 02, 2022 4:15 pm, edited 3 times in total.

So we get Surge XT which contains
FrogsInPants wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 1:48 pm ...only about 80% of all effects in existence.
and yet it's still possible to be
MadMcMan wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 12:25 pm ...slightly disappointed the nightly doesn't come with the newer AirWindows plugins.
:?:
It's just never enough is it ? :wink:

ELEX wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 2:41 pm So we get Surge XT which contains
FrogsInPants wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 1:48 pm ...only about 80% of all effects in existence.
and yet it's still possible to be
MadMcMan wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 12:25 pm ...slightly disappointed the nightly doesn't come with the newer AirWindows plugins.
:?:
It's just never enough is it ? :wink:
Well, those are the other 20%, aren't they? :hihi:
Celebrating 50 years of pants with frogs in them

MadMcMan wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 12:25 pm I'm slightly disappointed the nightly doesn't come with the newer AirWindows plugins.
do you mean 'update the codebase' or do you mean 'add plugin xyz'?
Last time i added one was cab but if there's a particular one chris added in the last few months they are easy to sweep into the nightly. Just let us know.

Return to “Instruments”