One Synth Challenge #159: Surge XT (j5v Wins!)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Surge XT

I actually prefer the sound of toTape5 to toTape6 in some cases also are you sure you are using air2? the sliders appear to be the sliders for air rather than air2, they do things differently too.

GlitchShifter is very unique and fathomfive does slightly different things to the sound compared to dubsub.

The problem with including foo5 over foo4 is that Chris's plugins usually behave differently and he adds / removes some functionality of the FX.

so if you swap in Air2 for Air1 the controls are different.

His lowpass/highpass / bandpass XYZ's are also nice to use.

yeah the XYZ filters we want to recode as sse voice filters and use them as filter models in the surge filter slots, but we just didn't get to it this cycle. That's a pretty big hunk of work to go from chris's single voice straight c to our parallel sse implementation we use in voice filters.

oh and you are right we have air not air2

Oh and I added a GH issue where we can figure out which ones to sweep. Once we've decided i'll try and do it soon so you can get it in the nightly for this OSC.

https://github.com/surge-synthesizer/surge/issues/6114

baconpaul wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 2:12 am yeah the XYZ filters we want to recode as sse voice filters and use them as filter models in the surge filter slots, but we just didn't get to it this cycle. That's a pretty big hunk of work to go from chris's single voice straight c to our parallel sse implementation we use in voice filters.
IIRC, the X filters don't have zipper noise smoothing as opposed to the Y and Z ones, so make sure to take care of that too.

Here is my submission already. Since I am used to Surge XT, I already had a couple of sounds and a composition structure (synthwave towards cyberpunk). I also remade some of my Vital sounds. It worked quite well but in the end it still sounds a bit different.

This song uses 21 instances of Surge XT, is made in Reaper with a few built-in FX (EQ, compressor, limiter).

https://soundcloud.com/frank-geppert-19 ... al_sharing

MadMcMan wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 1:45 am I actually prefer the sound of toTape5 to toTape6 in some cases also are you sure you are using air2? the sliders appear to be the sliders for air rather than air2, they do things differently too.

GlitchShifter is very unique and fathomfive does slightly different things to the sound compared to dubsub.

The problem with including foo5 over foo4 is that Chris's plugins usually behave differently and he adds / removes some functionality of the FX.

If you grab the latest nightly we just added these:

GlitchShifter
NonlinearSpace
DubSub,
DubCenter
ChromeOxide
FireAmp
Pafnuty
PowerSag
TapeDust
ToVinyl4

They all work. The first four we need to do some cosmetic formatting on the params but that won’t change the patches just the labels on the sliders and their values

baconpaul wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 5:17 pm
MadMcMan wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 1:45 am I actually prefer the sound of toTape5 to toTape6 in some cases also are you sure you are using air2? the sliders appear to be the sliders for air rather than air2, they do things differently too.

If you grab the latest nightly we just added these:

GlitchShifter
NonlinearSpace
DubSub,
DubCenter
ChromeOxide
FireAmp
Pafnuty
PowerSag
TapeDust
ToVinyl4

They all work. The first four we need to do some cosmetic formatting on the params but that won’t change the patches just the labels on the sliders and their values
amazing, are you adding air2 too?

Nope, we already have Air at least. Upgrading it to Air 2 would break patches, and we'd get nowhere if we add every version of every AW plugin out there.

EvilDragon wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 7:19 pm Nope, we already have Air at least. Upgrading it to Air 2 would break patches, and we'd get nowhere if we add every version of every AW plugin out there.
but its not an "upgrade" its just different :)

MadMcMan wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 12:25 pm
3lu5iv3 wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 12:13 pm can we use beta version of Surge XT as well or only stable version?
In previous OSC's new versions have been released during the competition and people have used them, as its an open source and the nightly versions are released as executables i personally don't see why not.

I'm slightly disappointed the nightly doesn't come with the newer AirWindows plugins.
thanx.
SoundCloud
"I believe every music producer inherently has something unique about the way they make music. They just have to identify what makes them different, and develop it" - Max Martin

baconpaul wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 3:44 pm If you are using the FX plugin and are also using Nimbus (mutable clouds), let me strongly encourage you to run the nightly. I fixed a bug in our nimbus resampler which was an occasional problem in the synth but a bigger one in the FX plugin
I tried to use the nightly version. Aside from the fact that I'd really like the installer to ask me where to put the waveform folder (as my SSD drive for windows is small and I don't want to clutter it), each time I change from one effect to another in Surge XT Effects, it crashes Ableton Live 10 :? .

How to reproduce :
- Load Surge XT Effects in empty track of Ableton Live 10 and Surge XT Effects 1.1.nightly.5013ebd
- Change to any effect that has some knobs that can be by passed (eg : EQ)
- Toggle any bypass of the effect (eg : bypass Band 1)
- Choose another effect (eg : Exciter)
- Ableton Live crashes

I sent a bug report on Github but I figured I could put this here see if some of us can reproduce the bug.

Now I'm gonna install a more stable version, check if the bug happens their too ;)

[EDIT : Works fine on 1.0.1 :) ]

RULES question: Must I use current surgeXT, or are earlier Surge VST allowed (say 1.6)?
I have some work in progress from earlier unsubmitted attempts and not sure if can use it without converting to new version?

Thanks!

zarf wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 9:45 am RULES question: Must I use current surgeXT, or are earlier Surge VST allowed (say 1.6)?
I have some work in progress from earlier unsubmitted attempts and not sure if can use it without converting to new version?

Thanks!
Earlier versions of a plugin should be no problem under the rules, in my opinion. Also, I recall the Surge-Synth-Team stating, that Surge-XT is patch-compatible to Surge 1.x

zarf wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 9:45 am RULES question: Must I use current surgeXT, or are earlier Surge VST allowed (say 1.6)?

Thanks!
Using an earlier version is totally allowed, no probs.

I have earlier projects using vst2 version of surge. I have updated them to latest, but had to use a different DAW and load the patches into the vst3, which are totally compatible. Fortunately there were not too many instances, and the results came out fine for me.

Return to “Instruments”