Loomer Architect: A modular MIDI toolkit

Official support for: loomer.co.uk
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Ooh, yeah, count me in for that!

Sorry to be THAT guy, but where are we on Aspect beta? I love and miss Aspect on my M1.

No, by all means be that guy. I was working on Aspect M1 pretty much all afternoon today, so progress is being made.
Architect, the modular MIDI toolkit, beta now available for macOS, Windows, and Linux.

colin@loomer wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 3:26 pm and it's getting ever closer
From here, the subjective feeling is that it is getting further and further...

Excited to hear progress is being made! Architect has become a key element in my music making so the day this update drops will be a big one for me :)

I get people getting impatient but also worth keeping in mind how complex a program architect is and how critical stability is for it to continue to be useful to us.. I'd love for the update to be ready tomorrow but not if it broke everything as a result

Thanks, much appreciated.
Architect, the modular MIDI toolkit, beta now available for macOS, Windows, and Linux.

Petajaja wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 7:09 am I get people getting impatient but also worth keeping in mind how complex a program architect is and how critical stability is for it to continue to be useful to us.. I'd love for the update to be ready tomorrow but not if it broke everything as a result
I'm a huge fan of Architect, no question.

Still, it has been in beta for 5 years 3 years and 4 months. This is, to say the least, unusual.
And the current version I'm using could very well have been a 1.0 and marketed as such, increasing the user base.
I got tired of pointing people to it on various forums, because nobody heard of it.

Not only that, but a beta usually means a quick iteration of releases.
Nothing of the sort is happening. Since I was aware of Architect and got a license, no updates happened. Just users asking once a month "hey, anything new?"
There were lots of promises of things being "just around the corner". No follow-ups.

I really like Architect and I'm very happy that I got a license. Even if dev would stop, I'm happy with it and it is worth the money, big time.

That being said, I am quite skeptical regarding the development.
This is simply an observation, from a frustrated fan, if you will. Yeah, I got the "it's ready when it's ready" model, but I don't feel that's the case here.

(BTW, I find the "free for life updates" policy to be complete nonsense and suicidal, business wise. I'd be more than happy to pay for upgrades for major versions).
Last edited by digitallysane on Wed May 11, 2022 10:23 am, edited 2 times in total.

Thank you, I do appreciate the feedback. I myself wish that development weren't so protracted, but between working on (also overdue) updates to the other products, and trying to get this version right, it has taken longer than expected. I do (more or less) concur that I probably could have labelled it version 1.0 a while back, but I just have a vision of what I wanted for the official version 1.0, and I'm pleased that I'm within touching distance of that metric.

So, I do apologise that things do take longer than expected, but please be assured that I am making progress on it, and working on getting the next major release nearly every day.

colin@loomer wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 10:23 am Thank you, I do appreciate the feedback. I myself wish that development weren't so protracted, but between working on (also overdue) updates to the other products, and trying to get this version right, it has taken longer than expected.
As we say in the film world when things are not advancing as they should: "First thing, you need a good producer!" :wink:

All the best with the development, can't wait to see the 1.0 !

Cheers! As always, feedback is always very much appreciated.

digitallysane wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 10:02 am
Petajaja wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 7:09 am I get people getting impatient but also worth keeping in mind how complex a program architect is and how critical stability is for it to continue to be useful to us.. I'd love for the update to be ready tomorrow but not if it broke everything as a result
I'm a huge fan of Architect, no question.

Still, it has been in beta for 5 years. This is, to say the least, unusual.
And the current version I'm using could very well have been a 1.0 and marketed as such, increasing the user base.
I got tired of pointing people to it on various forums, because nobody heard of it.

Not only that, but a beta usually means a quick iteration of releases.
Nothing of the sort is happening. Since I was aware of Architect and got a license, no updates happened. Just users asking once a month "hey, anything new?"
There were lots of promises of things being "just around the corner". No follow-ups.

I really like Architect and I'm very happy that I got a license. Even if dev would stop, I'm happy with it and it is worth the money, big time.

That being said, I am quite skeptical regarding the development.
This is simply an observation, from a frustrated fan, if you will. Yeah, I got the "it's ready when it's ready" model, but I don't feel that's the case here.

(BTW, I find the "free for life updates" policy to be complete nonsense and suicidal, business wise. I'd be more than happy to pay for upgrades for major versions).
Don’t exaggerate, the beta was released 1 januari 2019 , that’s 3 years and 4 months
Eyeball exchanging
Soul calibrating ..frequencies

gentleclockdivider wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 10:41 pm Don’t exaggerate, the beta was released 1 januari 2019 , that’s 3 years and 4 months
Fair enough.
Still, a detail that changes nothing of substance in my post.

I have just started using Architect and I am blown away. At first, I thought the learning curve would be very steep but as soon as I made sense of the modules, graph/play/timeline/... sections everything seems super intuitive and logical.

I have an old Macbook Pro i7 from 2012 and was sick and tired of how inefficient Numerology is with RAM and resources, still now single-core only. I couldn't believe my eyes when I was comparing the CPU performance against Architect. I thought I would not encounter a DAW with similar CPU efficiency as Reaper but Architect is in the same league. I don't need to use rewire and virtual midi cables anymore and can use some CPU intensive synths with no spikes or latency/CPU issues.

At the moment, I am just scratching the surface and using the mono and poly step sequencers but just being able to change octave, gate, velocity, divide & multiply...per step is godsend.

On top of all of this, despite being in beta it feels more stable than other well-known and expensive DAWs.

Thank you Colin for such a brilliant piece of software! I cannot wait to try the official release, whenever it's ready.

colin@loomer wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 3:26 pm Working hard on it, and it's getting ever closer, but still not quite there yet. But I'll be happy to let a select group get "early access" before I go public, as I know there are a lot of people eager to get their hands on it.
How many patches for the library have been fully completed and what is the total number of patches that will be included in the next release?

colin@loomer wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 10:23 am Thank you, I do appreciate the feedback. I myself wish that development weren't so protracted, but between working on (also overdue) updates to the other products, and trying to get this version right, it has taken longer than expected. I do (more or less) concur that I probably could have labelled it version 1.0 a while back, but I just have a vision of what I wanted for the official version 1.0, and I'm pleased that I'm within touching distance of that metric.

So, I do apologise that things do take longer than expected, but please be assured that I am making progress on it, and working on getting the next major release nearly every day.
Will there be a VST 3 version? TouchDesigner has recently introduced support for VSTs, but only VST 3... Architect inside of TouchDesigner would be an absolute dream.

EDIT: It loads up fine in TouchDesigner from inside of VST 3 plugins that can host other plugins, like DDMF Metaplugin, KushView Element, NI Komplete Kontrol, etc... will need to do more testing to see how it behaves but it looks promising!

Return to “Loomer”