Which is the hungriest Synth CPU wise nowadays?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Pigments 3.5, granular pad can quickly overload even my Ryzen 3900X :(

Also, Chromaphone 3 magically doubled its CPU demand just by adding second leayer as a "feature" ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

However, didn't have any issues with Massive X. IMO it's very efficient for what it does.
Blog ------------- YouTube channel
Tricky-Loops wrote: (...)someone like Armin van Buuren who claims to make a track in half an hour and all his songs sound somewhat boring(...)

Knifonium seems to eat CPU for breakfast…

Pigments “the pig” in granular is very high cpu. TAL J8 can also be a monster with long release times. DiscoveryPro has forced me to use Audiogridder in order to use 32 of the 128 voices (at 96khz with fairly low ASIO buffer).

pigments is pretty hungry here; equator 2 perhaps the most of all my plugins. when diva came out, i couldn't run it, now it's perfectly happy...

I bet Phaseplant can be the absolute winner if you design a heavy enough preset in it (not a hard task to accomplish), with FM, unison, hardsync, polyphonic FX et all.

Neon

vertibration wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 2:02 pm None, get an M1....problem solved
Good one. As if M1 was the most powerful chip in the world. And as if you couldn't easily max out a M1 as well.

Even last and current gen mid tier desktop Intel's smoke the M1...

+1

chk071 wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 6:04 pm
Good one. As if M1 was the most powerful chip in the world. And as if you couldn't easily max out a M1 as well.

In Intels dreams of course :wink:
Apple M1 is not the chip itself that makes a difference, it’s combination of M1 and macOS

Really hungry:
40CABD95-B6AF-4220-A304-CB5C05C401E8.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Atlatnesiti wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 6:42 pm

Apple M1 is not the chip itself that makes a difference, it’s combination of M1 and macOS
The M1 isn't faster than a mid tier desktop Intel i5 in benchmarks. The Apple hype train is rollin' hard.

chk071 wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 7:07 pm

The M1 isn't faster than a mid tier desktop Intel i5 in benchmarks. The Apple hype train is rollin' hard.
the apple marketing department has definitely succeeded in creating the hype they wanted if people are convinced that they only needed a single M1 chip for all their music production needs
Win 10 x64 with specs enough to run DAW without bouncing any track
KZ IEM,32-bit 384Khz dac running at 32bit 48Khz
mainly use REAPER, MTotalbundle, Unfiltered Audio TRIAD and LION, NI classic collection,......... ETC

Too bad the M1 chokes with a couple of browser windows open with a couple tabs per window, or if you have ten or more spreadsheets open at the same time. Haven't tried it much with audio software though.
i9-10900K | 128GB DDR4 | RTX 3090 | Arturia AudioFuse/KeyLab mkII/SparkLE | PreSonus ATOM/ATOM SQ | Studio One | Reason | Bitwig Studio | Reaper | Renoise | FL Studio | ~900 VSTs | 300+ REs

people are convinced that they only needed a single M1 chip for all their music production needs
People have been producing music on rigs many times less powerful that current tech. There's no need for latest synths with cosmic requirements, and no need for high-end CPUs either.

In fact I find high requirements of Pigements (not only CPU, but also RAM) a disadvantage as suddenly I can't spam unlimited number of tracks anymore.
Blog ------------- YouTube channel
Tricky-Loops wrote: (...)someone like Armin van Buuren who claims to make a track in half an hour and all his songs sound somewhat boring(...)

chk071 wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 7:07 pmThe M1 isn't faster than a mid tier desktop Intel i5 in benchmarks. The Apple hype train is rollin' hard.
I don't know where you got this from, but it's definitely false.

https://www.cpubenchmark.net/high_end_cpus.html

As of May 11th M1 is obviously not at the top, but the some of them cost more than a whole Mac by itself. XEON, Threadripper, EPYC... the Core i9 12900 managed to score higher... good for Intel. :lol:
void main(dumb)

Return to “Instruments”