One Synth Challenge #159: Surge XT (j5v Wins!)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Surge XT

here again a stupid question: is it allowed to use a very very well known bass riff from a very very well known rock band here in the OSC?
It could become something like a reinterpretation ...

translated into english by DeepL

marks-a-whybikky wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 2:26 pm here again a stupid question: is it allowed to use a very very well known bass riff from a very very well known rock band here in the OSC?

This is a very interesting question... I would love to hear it. Probably, if the track as a whole does not fall under the definition of "plagiarism", then everything is fine. But this is just one of the opinions)
Rock music is so full of memorable riffs that when someone makes a track in this area, I almost always feel a sense of recognition of individual elements!

BrainBeatMusic wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 6:26 am Is there a functional difference between Surge and Surge XT? It would seem I just realised I made my whole track in Surge :(

Assuming I have to change (which I think I should) is it possible to say transfer user presets from Surge to Surge XT?

UPDATE: It would seem it is possible to copy user presets from Surge and use the in Surge XT. I wonder what I was missing out on between the 2 versions?
https://surge-synthesizer.github.io/cha ... index.html here's the changelog from 1.9 (the last version without the XT moniker) to XT 1.0.1.

https://surge-synthesizer.github.io/nightlychangelog here's the draft of the changelog from 1.0.1 to the nightly. We update that every so often so it can be a tad stale.

1.9 to XT1.0.1 you are missing quite a lot, but 1.9 was a synth we were proud of too :)

ElVincente wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 7:40 am Hi guys!
Really, I'm deeply Impressed by surge ! Can't thank you enough for the time and love you've put into it :), what a freaking sound machine !
Hope I'll be able to finish my track in time...

Does someone knows a way to achieve that :
I wan't to use a macro to control the amount of velocity action on the filter envellope.
But we can't target modulations with modulators, can't we ?
you could do this with the formula modulator if you really wanted to but otherwise, no there's not a way to use a macro to modulate a modulation *depth*. Formula tutorial 06 shows you how to get voice state (you will get "velocity" in your mod state for a vlfo) and macro subscriptions.

We have a design for mod mappers in the future, but it's not the future yet. :)

marks-a-whybikky wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 2:26 pm here again a stupid question: is it allowed to use a very very well known bass riff from a very very well known rock band here in the OSC?

I would advise caution - the rules state "Your entry must be composed specifically for this contest. Cover tracks are not permitted." And anything which might breach copyright would certainly not be allowed.

BrainBeatMusic wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 6:26 am UPDATE: It would seem it is possible to copy user presets from Surge and use the in Surge XT. I wonder what I was missing out on between the 2 versions?
You missed out a WHOLE BUNCH of stuff!

@RichardSemper: Thanks for your hint! But it is like -maybe every musician- developing chords and emotions and than you start playing bass ... suddenly you recognize the riff is "stolen" ... and i make this track only for THIS OSC.
The rIff is everywhere to find in the internet.I do not want to infringe copyrights of other musician. Do you want to report me for an alleged violation of it?
So, here was a one-minute shot (RAW) where i used an already famous bass riff:
Track deleted

... The riff is from: LedZeppelin, Dazed and Confused

you can only listen to it till June,14. 10:00 EuropenSummerTime
Last edited by marks-a-whybikky on Sat May 14, 2022 7:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

marks-a-whybikky wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 7:45 pm @RichardSemper: Thanks for your hint! But it is like -maybe every musician- developing chords and emotions and than you start playing bass ... suddenly you recognize the riff is "stolen" ... and i make this track only for THIS OSC.
The rIff is everywhere to find in the internet.I do not want to infringe copyrights of other musician. Do you want to report me for an alleged violation of it?
So, here is a one-minute shot (RAW) where i used an already famous bass riff:
https://soundcloud.com/marks-a-whybikky ... al_sharing

Just FYI you know they blatantly stole it right?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pTsvs-p ... nnel=hzh27
I think it's fine. Not because Zeppelin stole it. Because it's just a few notes. Like the bassline from Bela Lugosi Undead. Someone told me I stole that. I had no idea though I loved the song.

Here is my entry.

https://soundcloud.com/sampleme/yousamp ... al_sharing

I used Ableton Live 11 and 10 instances of Surge XT.

Stock Plugins:
EQ Eight
EQ Three
Channel EQ
Compressor
Limiter
Glue Compressor
Multiband Dynamics
Saturator
Utility
Reverb
Delay
Autopan

External plugins:
MWaveShaper

Thank you for listening.

Sample Me

My Submission:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F4g3NAakAEs
https://soundcloud.com/dakkra/dakkra-nightmare-reaper

15 instances of SurgeXT 1.0.1 inside Bitwig Studio 4.2.4

Bitwig Effects:
- Filter
- EQ+
- Hard Clip (GRID Module)
- Reverb
- Compressor
- Tool (for mixing)
- Arpeggiator
- Peak Limiter
My Setup.
Now goes by Eurydice(Izzy) - she/her :hug:

empphryio wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 9:49 pm
marks-a-whybikky wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 7:45 pm @RichardSemper: Thanks for your hint! But it is like -maybe every musician- developing chords and emotions and than you start playing bass ... suddenly you recognize the riff is "stolen" ... and i make this track only for THIS OSC.
So, here is a one-minute shot (RAW) where i used an already famous bass riff:

Just FYI you know they blatantly stole it right?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pTsvs-p ... nnel=hzh27
I think it's fine. Not because Zeppelin stole it. Because it's just a few notes. Like the bassline from Bela Lugosi Undead. Someone told me I stole that. I had no idea though I loved the song.
Thanks for the link! GREAT album! I have decided to continue working on the track in this way. Maybe something new will develop from it ...

MilksterX wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 6:32 am
] Peter:H [ wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 7:25 pm Holy Maths, Batman!
There's a LUA interpreter built into the Modulator-Section ... on first contact I only came up with

Code: Select all

modstate["output"] = sin(2*math.pi*modstate["phase"])

Thats gonna be funny, because I can revive my code from the TAL NoiseMaker Round ... and translate it into Lua ... watch out Richard ... dicussions coming on discord ... ha ha ha.
I don't understand this. If you know it's forbidden then why push it? and why this passive aggressive tone about discord discussions? You don't chat to us on there so why intentionally admit to lurking?!

We're not against you, so don't become the next Putin! put the maths down and step away from the code! 🤣🤣🤣
C'mon, I wouldn't try the hobby psychology path, when you dicorders felt very comfortable callling people an "asshole" and nobody objected (I think it was even back in the moderated channel of OSC run by OSC staff). How did you talk about some fo the new comers? I think authenticity is good, even when one matches sc comments and talks on discord. So I would rather say no after these few lines: it was explained to you that mixing up cause and effect is simply not the right way to go.

Giving names - can I decide? Thinking about Stalin, PolPot, Hitler, Imperator Ming, Mickey Mouse or sth. else ... oh wait ... I'd be your Steven Wagenheim 2.0. Haven't seen a respectful post about Steven in a while, let's start this tradition again. Why not, right Milkster? That was btw the time when I left the channel (it wasn't even on dicord) when respectful post after post about Steven arrived, though he wasn't part of the community for years at that point. Guts is when you can say it right into peoples faces, right?

BTW: The code is not illegal. It's exactly the way I started in TAL NoiseMaker round. The final Java Code was not much more complicated: SInes, Random and Maths ... Illusion so to say.
BUt hey, I made a mistake, same as back then. I thought the challenge is a bout synth as a piece of technology ... and I shared my findings. I repeat my own mistake again and again ... so now I promise, from now on I will never post any finding any more.

Wait, I forgot the emojis: :hihi: 8) :) :( :? :neutral: :ud: :!: :help: :tu: :hyper:

Our Discord channel is an open and friendly forum, where people can discuss the OSC, get help and feedback, and some other generally music related things. Discussions can be a little more free and open than on here.

https://discord.gg/h5GR5EJC

This link lasts for 7 days. If it expires you can ask folks on here for a new invitation.

Some inferences have been made regarding our Discord, which are not entirely accurate.
There was (still is, but little used now) a forum on Slack for OSC, run by participants. This was not moderated by OSC organisers. There was much on there I was not comfortable with, and occasionally took issue with, as may happen on unrestricted social media platforms. Here I agree with PeterH (just don't tell him :wink: )
On the Discord we still allow for open discussion, but are intolerant of any personal abuse. While I cannot read every word there, if anyone has a complaint about anything said they can contact me through a direct message on the Discord, and I will look into it.

The Surge Synth Team considers formula modulator as an integral part of it, and encourages its usage! Considering you cannot pipe the output of the LFO in Surge to an audio output (plus, you're strictly limited by LFO rate being a maximum of 512 Hz, which means at 250-something Hz it actually starts aliasing), I would say it's entirely fair game to use it to create wild modulation paths not otherwise possible.

EvilDragon wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 12:06 pm The Surge Synth Team considers formula modulator as an integral part of it, and encourages its usage! Considering you cannot pipe the output of the LFO in Surge to an audio output (plus, you're strictly limited by LFO rate being a maximum of 512 Hz, which means at 250-something Hz it actually starts aliasing), I would say it's entirely fair game to use it to create wild modulation paths not otherwise possible.
Absolutely! :tu:

Return to “Instruments”