Presonus Studio One 6.0

Plug-in hosts and other software applications discussion
Trensharo
KVRist
262 posts since 29 Dec, 2019

Post Thu May 12, 2022 1:22 am

BONES wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 3:52 am
THE INTRANCER wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 4:42 pm Studio One 6.0 is quite surprisingly not far off from dropping.... a few months maybe... What do you think will be of significance in this update ?
Honestly, who f**king cares? I'd rather they took shit out, rather than add more shit. Or at least give us the option of a more streamlined installation, but they won't so I really don't f**king care.

Of all the features listed over four pages, there is only one that will get me to upgrade and that's improved CPU efficiency. And to be honest, half the things people are asking for are things I don't even understand. e.g. Why would you want a MIDI sequencer effect when the whole f**king this is basically a giant MIDI sequencer?
Why loft a boulder if you can use a forklift?

Because its faster and more efficiently. People look for ways to get more work done in the same time frame. Time is money.

Not sure how you can even muster up the question and not realize how rhetorical it is.

wuworld
KVRist
204 posts since 7 Nov, 2009 from DC

Post Thu May 12, 2022 11:08 am

THE INTRANCER wrote: Sun Apr 10, 2022 1:30 pm
Downangle wrote: Sun Apr 10, 2022 12:52 pm Why does OP think version 6 is coming so soon? Is there a rumor?
It will be around 2 years since the release of version 5.0... there could of course be a 5.6 version before that to finish off the cycle of that release to fix any outstanding bugs as well as add a few features, but if going by past history in repeating itself, version 6 wouldn't be far off in a matter of a few months later. I'm still on 4.6 Pro.
Johnny Geib said not to expect version 6 anytime soon. .6 etc yes. This is via the facebook group for Studio One.

BONES
GRRRRRRR!
13350 posts since 14 Jun, 2001 from Somewhere else, on principle

Post Thu May 12, 2022 5:15 pm

Trensharo wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 1:22 amWhy loft a boulder if you can use a forklift?
Because you'd have to walk back into town, find a hire place, pay a shitload of money for a half-day hire, then hitch a ride back out to your boulder with the delivery truck. Or you could look around for a lever and have that boulder shifted in no time. Which is to say that the boulder is right in front of you, not using it requires a lot more effort than using it.
Because its faster and more efficiently.
Except it's not. By the time you've loaded up your 3rd party plugin and got it set up, I could easily have progrrammed whatever it is into the Piano Roll with my trusty mouse and copied it out to 200 bars if I need to.
People look for ways to get more work done in the same time frame.
Don't you think that would involve efficiency, rather than complication? Because trust me, nobody works more efficiently than I do. I can guarantee I get more done with less than any of you.
Last edited by BONES on Thu May 12, 2022 10:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NOVAkILL : Zenbook Duo, Core i7, 16GB RAM, Win11(64), UR44C | Studio One | JP6K, Union, GR-8, Hexeract, bx_oberhausen, Olga, TRK-01, Vacuum Pro, Invader, Concept, Thorn, Odyssey, Equator, VG Iron | Uno Pro, Uno, Rocket.

hotmitts
KVRian
580 posts since 27 Nov, 2003 from UK, Polegate

Post Thu May 12, 2022 10:26 pm

Crossinger wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 11:07 pm
Color Toolbar is easy to install, integrates seamlessly and has tons of features.
Thank you, didn't know about that

Boy Wonder
KVRist
74 posts since 30 Jan, 2021

Post Fri May 13, 2022 2:50 pm

I suppose if I was a multi-million dollar dev and wanted to stay afloat in the ever-growing DAW market, I'd probably get my competitor's stuff and nick a few bits and bobs here and there. I wouldn't be surprised, then, if S1 6 has their own version of Cubase's VariAudio, FX Modulator, direct offline processing, and the feature I rely on the most - ASIO guard.

chk071
KVRAF
31651 posts since 11 Apr, 2010 from Germany

Post Fri May 13, 2022 2:57 pm

S1 has Melodyne and the dropout protection.

For the modulator: I think it only works with Cubase's internal parameters, doesn't it? Wouldn't mind more modulation options in S1 though. They're always welcome.

Trensharo
KVRist
262 posts since 29 Dec, 2019

Post Fri May 13, 2022 5:32 pm

chk071 wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 2:57 pm S1 has Melodyne and the dropout protection.

For the modulator: I think it only works with Cubase's internal parameters, doesn't it? Wouldn't mind more modulation options in S1 though. They're always welcome.
Bundling Melodyne Essential is like bundling Ozone Elements, at this point. I have 4 Licenses registered, because so much random software bundles that basic SKU, which I don't even think is as good as VariAudio 3.

In any case, I feel like Melodyne is a more targetted product, while VariAudio is more of a collection of features in Cubase - similar to Elastic Audio in Samplitude Pro X and similar features in a couple of other DAWs. There are some things that VariAudio does natively that would require you to either use multiple Melodyne instances across different tracks (Essentials, at least), or use a different third party plug-in to plug that functional hole.

All major DAWs are ARA2 capable, now.

One thing I wish Studio One would do is allow use of External Audio Editors - even if only their own (if they develop one, and it's actually decent). Right now, the only way to have a somewhat decent workflow using one is via ARA2 (e.g. SpectraLayers, etc.) or RX Connect. I really dislike that they don't allow this. Studio One is not Samplitude Pro X. The ability to round trip to an external audio editor easily from within the DAW would be greatly appreciated.

jamcat
KVRAF
2031 posts since 2 Sep, 2019

Post Fri May 13, 2022 6:10 pm

Studio One also includes Elastique Pro to do what Variaudio does. Melodyne is on a whole other level than either.
THIS MUSIC HAS BEEN MIXED TO BE PLAYED LOUD SO TURN IT UP

xpoes
KVRist
74 posts since 10 Apr, 2017

Post Fri May 13, 2022 7:06 pm

jamcat wrote: Sun Apr 10, 2022 8:06 am Studio One already has MIDI FX. They’re called Note FX.

As for the drum editor, what more does it need?
It would be nice if you could add any midi manipulator (so not only NOTE FX, but also something like Riffer, or HY-sequencers) to an instrument track, rather than having to create another track and then route that to the instrument track..
Xpoes

W10, Studio One Sphere, Intel Core i7 9700F (8x Core) @4.7GHz, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970, 32 GB RAM, FluidAudio SRI-2, Nektar Impact LX61+

Boy Wonder
KVRist

Post Sat May 14, 2022 1:07 pm

When I was using Melodyne, the results I got were okay. Just in case, though, I watched a lot of tutorials and did a lot of tweaking to get my vocals to sound right. Somewhere along the way, I also demo'd Autotune, Revoice Pro 4 and finally Vielklang Instant Harmony. In the end, I preferred the Vielklang as it sounded the most natural. In terms of percentages, I'd say Melodyne was 90% efficient and Vieklang 95%.

dlandis
KVRist
305 posts since 24 Oct, 2006

Post Sat May 14, 2022 8:27 pm

While I am very happy that Studio One 5 recognizes MPE, it would be great if it recognized all 5 dimensions of MPE. Right now, it doesn't seem to recognize "lift." Granted that of all the dimensions, this dimension is often a "no-show" in programming, but if one claims acceptance of a certain specification, it would be great if all of the spec was included. I don't say this pejoratively; I get that PreSonus is working hard to reach a growing population of musicians. One is reminded, however, of how long polyphonic after-pressure was left ignored.

I also get that this is almost certainly a kind of niche issue. Still, it would be nice for at least some of us.

I also second the suggestion for the allowance of an audio editor to be integrated in "roundtrip" fashion (like Sound Forge was allowed integration into Cakewalk about a zillion years ago.)

FWIW.
“I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-Beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain.” ∞ ROY BATTY, Bladerunner

Kalamata Kid
KVRAF
5225 posts since 27 Jul, 2001 from Tarpon Springs, Florida, USA

Post Sat May 14, 2022 10:42 pm

My feeling that Studio One 6 will be released this year.
and looking forward to see what new will be offered.

FL Studio 21 will be released this year.
It will be a major update but too bad it will not include ARA. :(

With a major update Mulab 9 will be released within a month.
Here also no ARA and no Multi-touch capability. :(

The reason I mention these DAW's is that I am always ready to move to another DAW if it will help my musicmaking.

apoclypse
KVRian
939 posts since 17 Oct, 2018

Post Sun May 15, 2022 9:24 am

Boy Wonder wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 2:50 pm I suppose if I was a multi-million dollar dev and wanted to stay afloat in the ever-growing DAW market, I'd probably get my competitor's stuff and nick a few bits and bobs here and there. I wouldn't be surprised, then, if S1 6 has their own version of Cubase's VariAudio, FX Modulator, direct offline processing, and the feature I rely on the most - ASIO guard.
Variaudio will probably never happen. Presonus seems content with their relationship with Celemony at the moment.

FX Modulators would be cool to have.

Direct offline processing. Is this that much different than Event FX in S1? I think the DOP is a little more robust but frankly if I'm using this feature to save CPU I would rather use S1's Track Transform which is really powerful.

ASIO-Gaurd, S1 introduced a hybrid audio engine in version 3.5 or so. Is there something specific Steinberg is doing that S1 is not here?
Studio One 5.2 // Bitwig 3.3.4 // Logic Pro X 10.6 // Ableton 11 // Reason 11 // MPC // Force // Maschine

Boy Wonder
KVRist

Post Sun May 15, 2022 12:49 pm

ASIO-Guard is interesting. It doesn't work if you only have one VSTi running. If you have two or more, your active VSTi track gets priority while the remaining tracks get regulated to ASIO-Guard to ease the pressure off the CPU. Tres cool, and it's why I no longer place a premium on multi-timbral instruments as having several tracks is more efficient for my meager system.

chk071
KVRAF
31651 posts since 11 Apr, 2010 from Germany

Post Mon May 16, 2022 5:40 am

Where is that image neurotic leaker when you need him?

We need some (soft) infos for Studio One 6!

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”