Native Instruments and Vst3, Apple Silicon

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Rant/
They finally released an update for Battery after 4 years and it is neither Vst3 nor M1.
We are in the second year of Apple Silicon and only Kontakt is native.

What is taking them so long? What are they doing instead?

Rant Over :)

Home officing is great for productivity.

Doesn't seem to affect them marketing dept...

Edited
Last edited by Vortifex on Thu Dec 07, 2023 10:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

nordickvr wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 3:31 pm Doesn't seem to affect them marketing dept...
Would be bad if it did.

VST3 has been around for over 10 years, so you Mac users can get to the back of the queue with your M1 shenanigans. Can we have VST3 first please. :)

Well in mid 2019 they fired 30% of their workers and now seem to not be able to get anything done. The only worthwile things they’ve put out are Massive X and Guitar Rig 6, and those have big problems and haven’t received the attention and updates they promised. Their legacy synths aren’t as attractive and unique to new customers as they were some years ago. Reaktor blocks is pretty much dead because they implemented it in a dumb way. Now they only manage to churn out repackaged sample packs and are among the very last in the business to release basic compability updates. It really is a sad state they are in.

andypryce wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 2:46 pm Rant/
They finally released an update for Battery after 4 years and it is neither Vst3 nor M1.
We are in the second year of Apple Silicon and only Kontakt is native.

What is taking them so long? What are they doing instead?

Rant Over :)
Kontakt is only half-native it would seem. The VST2 isn't. It's very worrying that such an innovative company has been reduced to pumping out sound libraries that they don't even make themselves anymore
'and when we got bored, we'd have a world war...'

Just got my hopes up when update to KK appeared in Native Access. Alas, it's just a bug fix

Just wondering, but, is there something fundamentally adverse with Rosetta2 that you guys don't use it?

It's specifically meant for these use cases.

I have no problem using NI stuff in Rosetta when needed. However, one day Rosetta will be removed from MacOS, so I hope NI stuff is M1 native before then!

When Rosetta goes away it'll hopefully be in a major MacOS release. So at least users won't upgrade without due care. But some users might appreciate plenty of time to test their projects with M1 plugs. Eg in Ableton, many people are going to find their vst2 kontakt instances will stop working once Rosetta goes away. Need to migrate them to vst3 while you can still load the vst2 version to copy the settings over, as no migration tool is planned for Ableton :-/

Personally music is something I do for fun so I'm not too worried. But I think more serious users might not realise this might be an issue down the line.

chk071 wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 5:25 pm Just wondering, but, is there something fundamentally adverse with Rosetta2 that you guys don't use it?

Because currently the host has to open in Rosetta mode for NI stuff to work. My hosts that open in Native M1 don't even recognise my NI plugins

ians wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 6:50 pm Because currently the host has to open in Rosetta mode for NI stuff to work.
Is that a fundamental disadvantage to opening it in native mode?

NI is such a shadow of its former self
dedication to flying

ians wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 6:50 pm
chk071 wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 5:25 pm Just wondering, but, is there something fundamentally adverse with Rosetta2 that you guys don't use it?

Because currently the host has to open in Rosetta mode for NI stuff to work. My hosts that open in Native M1 don't even recognise my NI plugins
which hosts? if you are using AudioUnits then the AU hosting translator app will run in the background so your host can be native but the plug in runs in rosetta.

this is what Logic does and also Live and Renoise.

initially i had to open each host in Roseta then scan the plug ins.. then reopen the host in Native for it to see all the plug ins.

but, NI stuff works fine for me running Logic/live/renoise etc as native hosts.

Return to “Instruments”