Which is the hungriest Synth CPU wise nowadays?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

flampton wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 6:06 pm Bla bla apple, bla bla PC, bla bla another thread ruined by insecurity
No now it's bla bla M1, bla bla non-M1 Macs, bla bla PC. :tu:
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Repro 5, Bazille.

Tracktion's f'em can be a real CPU muncher
void main(dumb)

Voltage Modular had my laptop crying foul. Too bad. I liked it, too. Anyway, CV-1 is my go-to modular these days.
If you can't dazzle 'em with brilliance, baffle 'em with bullshit.

emef wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 7:23 amOnePingOnly
What a wonderful synth, that "One Ping Only". I remember it well. Your right emef, but I think it was also a massive forum hog as well. Thanks for the memories!

Roland System 8 probably.

BONES wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 1:13 pm
astralprojection wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 11:42 amHow the F did they make hits using pro tools in the early 2000s
Well, let me see... In the early 2000s ProTools came with a huge f**king hardware card to make it work and it cost more than a decent used car. That's how they did it back then. It wasn't until 2010 that Pro Tools was available without the need for proprietary hardware to make it work, although if you wanted high-res processing, you still needed an HDX card with 18 DSP processors to do the heavy lifting.
The cache and cores doesnt just magically increase every year either, you just buy the "current" i5 that was the latest i7 a year ago. I mean that is what it boils down to.
You're not using your brain. The i5 has more throughput than the i3 and the i7 has more threads and more throughput than either. As you say, that doesn't increase every year, which is why an old i5 will still have advantages over a new i3. 'tis the nature of the beast.
so angry, so sad.
No need to be angry or sad, just because you're wrong. See it as an opportunity to learn and grow.
True, they did use lots of DSP back then, but are you arguing that those DSP cards were of equal speed to current day CPUs?

the i3 12100f has 12MB L3. The i5 8600k has 9MB. L1 is 64kb per core on the i5, and the i3 has 80k per core.
Throughput is an average measurement; and basically boils down to teraflops.

Im not angry nor sad, I just would have hoped for a more mature conversation with someone of your "stature" on this forum, thats all. Anyway, enough off topic, these poor folk dont wanna see us argue.

You're the only one making stupid arguments, I see no point in comparing current processors with anything other than other current processors. For as long as Moore's Law still holds, any such discussion is a waste of time. The step up from my last laptop's 10th Gen i7 to my current one's 11th Gen is incredible. The 12th Gen is supposed to be an even bigger jump so why would anyone care about an 8th Gen CPU in 2022, FFS?
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

What I did was program my M1 machine to utilize the cache of my i9 machine to boost my Massive X to shoot lasers when I do big filter sweeps. Then I called Tim Apple and Patty Gelsinger and they gave me a billion dollars each!!

Astralproject and Bones i have Read all your posts here lol. Its entertaining reading it ;)

pretty sure it s melda synths with all quality things at max + 1024 oversampling.

to use such high rate in real time you need the computer they will make in 10 years probably

I recently used LatencyMon on my Ryzen 2500 laptop and found out the snap/crackle/pop culprit was an AMD executable that I completely wasn't aware of. I removed it and now get better latency. It's still not where I'd like it to be, though, especially with regards to VST2 instruments which Cubase can't turn off even when they're idle.

Unfortunately, the biggest obstacle to low latency is Windows' own Kernel Mode Driver wdf01000.sys, the driver needed for software-hardware communication. I was thinking that maybe if I upped my RAM to 32gb (I'm at 16gb now) that might make a difference? Or wait for a VST2 to VST3 converter/wrapper?

Just conducted a little experiment - compare idle CPU load in Cubase 12 using Sugar Byte's Factory VST2 and the same Factory pulled up in Blue Cat's VST3 plugin Patchwork.

With raw Factory VST2, I was idling between 20% to 35% with an occasional spike to 90%. With Patchwork, my idling was around 25% to 40% with an occasional spike to 100%. Obviously, the raw VST2 instance was better.

NI Pharlight, can crush a 5900x 12 core like its nothing.
If you don't eat yer meat, you can't have any pudding. HOW CAN YOU HAVE ANY PUDDING IF YOU DON'T EAT YER MEAT!?

Boy Wonder wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 8:15 pm Just conducted a little experiment - compare idle CPU load in Cubase 12 using Sugar Byte's Factory VST2 and the same Factory pulled up in Blue Cat's VST3 plugin Patchwork.

With raw Factory VST2, I was idling between 20% to 35% with an occasional spike to 90%. With Patchwork, my idling was around 25% to 40% with an occasional spike to 100%. Obviously, the raw VST2 instance was better.
I hope you know that Sugar Bytes updated all their stuff to vst3.
More BPM please

Return to “Instruments”