SINEE Chop Suey - Kick Plugin

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Well, I enjoyed watching Sinee's techno tutorials, even though I'm not an EDM guy (or German speaking guy).
But what I heard (really) impressed me.
Apparently this guy knows his kicks, so I won't be judgmental. Perhaps someone can say something good about the tool (I'll not, as I'm neither a kick designer nor a drum programmer).
Weapons of choice (subject to change):
Godin Redline, Kuassa, Fuse Audio, Audiority, Roland A-500pro, Dune, Dagger, TAL, Reaper for Rock & Synthwave pleasures; Viper and FL Studio for guilty EDM pleasures

Nice plugin. Demoed a while back but passed on it as i have similar set-ups to make my kicks, which give me more control.

It's not directly comparable to Kick2 or Punchbox tho. Chop Suey uses samples for attack, body and tail to chop up samples in time, rather than stacking them on top of each other.

The lay-out is pretty clear and easy to understand. It's easy to do detailed timing shifts of the 3 parts, and the added controls for each part are useful.

I would say that this is a nice tool for anyone who has a bunch of kick samples and wants to quickly create new ones by combining existing samples.
More BPM please

tried the demo but in Bitwig it seems bugged. every beat sounds different, the transient is not the same, it's like the first beat is dry, the 2nd has a louder transient and so on.. Maybe this is only in the demo but I do not spend 50 bucks till i am sure this is fixed.
(Melodic)Techno/Progressive house producer from the Netherlands. Check my music on: https://open.spotify.com/artist/5vORZZt2kF31RL3W9gBHvn and follow me on Insta: https://www.instagram.com/madman_j_/

Definitely not just a kick vst. You can load any samples in each section and then have multistage envelopes to play with the filter, pitch etc. So intuitive, grab the Chop Suey title and drag and drop into a track and you have a wav file of your current sound. Use the arrows in each segment to move through all the samples in the currently selected folder to find one that works. Adjust on the fly, in the mix. Very simple but I love it.

MADMANJ wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 8:14 am tried the demo but in Bitwig it seems bugged. every beat sounds different, the transient is not the same, it's like the first beat is dry, the 2nd has a louder transient and so on.. Maybe this is only in the demo but I do not spend 50 bucks till i am sure this is fixed.
You are right, there was a bug. This is fixed now (Version 1.21).

PetVor wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 6:25 pm
MADMANJ wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 8:14 am tried the demo but in Bitwig it seems bugged. every beat sounds different, the transient is not the same, it's like the first beat is dry, the 2nd has a louder transient and so on.. Maybe this is only in the demo but I do not spend 50 bucks till i am sure this is fixed.
When is this new version going to be released? Very good plugin, but this (Bitwig-specific?) bug is extremely annoying and is preventing me using it.

When is this new version going to be released? Very good plugin, but this (Bitwig-specific?) bug is extremely annoying and is preventing me using it.
[/quote]
Its already out, you can download it from tracktion.com

PetVor wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 7:50 am When is this new version going to be released? Very good plugin, but this (Bitwig-specific?) bug is extremely annoying and is preventing me using it.
Its already out, you can download it from tracktion.com
[/quote]

Ah, I checked the Tracktion Download Manager and it still shows 1.2, and so does the Tracktion website. But redownloading the individual installers helped, thanks.

PetVor wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 6:25 pm
Works perfectly now. Great plugin, very intuitive with simple gui, what it even could make better is if it's possible to extend a tail, even if it's from a short sample. For instance, now I have a tail that ends on 350 ms, but I want to extend it to the red line, in Kick 2 this is possible, of course it's not the same to compare because in Kick 2 it's not a sample, but it would be awesome if this is possible in Chop Suey. Or is it already possible and did I oversee this? Well made! I also love the Abyss plugin, this is definitely a nice one too!
(Melodic)Techno/Progressive house producer from the Netherlands. Check my music on: https://open.spotify.com/artist/5vORZZt2kF31RL3W9gBHvn and follow me on Insta: https://www.instagram.com/madman_j_/

So is it better than Kick 2 or on par or is Kick 2 superior or would they live together ?

Digivolt wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 9:39 pm So is it better than Kick 2 or on par or is Kick 2 superior or would they live together ?
I love Kick 2 but Chop Suey has an easier interface, but therefore maybe less shaping possibilities, however besided Kick 2 I also use Kick samples a lot, and for this Chop Suey is great because you can combine 3 kicks in one if you want. Anyway you would also need some extra fx in the chain like parallel processing or some more saturation. There is a trial available.

Digivolt wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 9:39 pm So is it better than Kick 2 or on par or is Kick 2 superior or would they live together ?
They live together.
More BPM please

I am surprised this doesn’t get more love - it instantly feels like a secret weapon plugin to me.

It’s so fast and intuitive to work with. And since it can take any sample, it’s not just about kicks at all. Any other perc, stabs, swells… all kinds of good stuff coming out of this.

padillac wrote: Sun Sep 11, 2022 5:50 pm I am surprised this doesn’t get more love - it instantly feels like a secret weapon plugin to me.

It’s so fast and intuitive to work with. And since it can take any sample, it’s not just about kicks at all. Any other perc, stabs, swells… all kinds of good stuff coming out of this.
Yeah I am intrigued. Maybe there will be a sale soon. $89 is a little much.

Awesome plugin!

Return to “Instruments”