Have we reached the end of hardware synths with software plug-ins?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Atlatnesiti wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 3:04 pm
whyterabbyt wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 2:55 pm
Atlatnesiti wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 2:50 pm
vurt wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 2:43 pm all those companies also make hardware.
Safety net perhaps…?
Yeah, Korg, Roland etc making vastly more money from hardware is a safety net. :roll:

I bet Roland make more money from Boss pedals than most software companies make at all.
Roland Cloud subscription system is currently the most $ profit making business
Are you the Roland inc. accountant? How did you come to this conclusion?

Uncle E wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 4:49 pm So Urs reveals that he can make a Jupiter-4 Rev. 1 plugin and we’re just going to walk on by?
For my sanity, I'm pretending I didn't see that.

Anyone remember the question?
I wonder what happens if I press this button...

ramseysounds wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 8:43 pm Anyone remember the question?
"i wonder what happens if i press this button"...?

fisherKing wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 8:44 pm
ramseysounds wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 8:43 pm Anyone remember the question?
"i wonder what happens if i press this button"...?

The fun thing about the JP-4 is that we could pull this off really quickly and very accurately. As you know we now have an actual analogue hardware guy who happens to be a Roland affiniciado. He can't only put circuits together, he can also analyse them and stick probes in the right places. It is utterly tempting, we already have almost everything we need, it's mostly a tweaking job.

Also, the JP-4 is different enough from everything else. The envelopes are clocked (!) with different clock rates for A, D and R. The sawtooth is composed of square waves mixed from a counter and enveloped to resemble a sawtooth. The PWM square wave is made from that sawtooth, so it's a little jittery. And the filter is almost exactly the most highly regarded one of Roland anyway, which is in their modular stuff as well as their better SHs. Which leads to the crazy thick VCA that surely must have been a mistake but they left it like that maybe because it oozes so much character.

But yeah, other things first.

Urs wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 9:00 pm But yeah, other things first.

Urs wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 9:00 pm The fun thing about the JP-4 is that we could pull this off really quickly and very accurately. As you know we now have an actual analogue hardware guy who happens to be a Roland affiniciado. He can't only put circuits together, he can also analyse them and stick probes in the right places. It is utterly tempting, we already have almost everything we need, it's mostly a tweaking job.

Also, the JP-4 is different enough from everything else. The envelopes are clocked (!) with different clock rates for A, D and R. The sawtooth is composed of square waves mixed from a counter and enveloped to resemble a sawtooth. The PWM square wave is made from that sawtooth, so it's a little jittery. And the filter is almost exactly the most highly regarded one of Roland anyway, which is in their modular stuff as well as their better SHs. Which leads to the crazy thick VCA that surely must have been a mistake but they left it like that maybe because it oozes so much character.

But yeah, other things first.
Just going to go ahead and say it now so that you can pre-count the money. I will purchase this on day one of the release.

Uncle E wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 9:30 pm
Urs wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 9:00 pm But yeah, other things first.
i am groot?

There was a comment about space being a limitation with hw. WTF!? When I run out of space in the studio, I buy a bigger house or I build an extension. Easy.
There's no reason for physicality to limit the number of synths you have...if you can have more plugins than you can possibly use in you computer, I'm damn sure I can squeeze more synths into my studio than I can possibly use. They're only stacked 3-high currently...I reckon I can reach higher than that. :hihi:

These but Eurorack modules instead of books

I can just imagine what the largest Eurorack setup looks like and what it must cost.
If you can't dazzle 'em with brilliance, baffle 'em with bullshit.

Return to “Instruments”