Have we reached the end of hardware synths with software plug-ins?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

SLiC wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 5:06 pm Sort of funny people thinking hardware is dead because of software yet so many of the major VST developers now make hardware synths or Eurorack….
Which ones?

I know there's a ton of Eurorack - but from VST developers... not so sure.

VST developers making software versions of modules, yes some.

_leras wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 3:04 pm
SLiC wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 5:06 pm Sort of funny people thinking hardware is dead because of software yet so many of the major VST developers now make hardware synths or Eurorack….
Which ones?

uhe, arturia, unfiltered audio.

im sure there's more.

I prefer Bitwig Grid to all the eurorack I had and I find Zebra HZ which I recently bought more interesting than any hardware synth I have owned.. I honestly don't think we need any more analog synths making now, how many times can we hear variations on a saw wave into a filter.. i really want to splash some cash on one piece of hardware but I can't find anything I find that interesting..

BONES wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 3:49 am It's only when you've listened to it 100 times, then left it alone for a week or two and come back to it that you can be objective about it.
Or... once you listened to something 100 times you need to leave it alone for a week or two to be able to be objective.

pizzatime wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 3:16 pm I prefer Bitwig Grid to all the eurorack I had and I find Zebra HZ which I recently bought more interesting than any hardware synth I have owned.. I honestly don't think we need any more analog synths making now, how many times can we hear variations on a saw wave into a filter.. i really want to splash some cash on one piece of hardware but I can't find anything I find that interesting..
I prefer software for efficiency and convenience, but I like my modest Eurorack case for it's fun factor. I built most of the modules myself, from kits and even sourcing components myself, so the fact it powers on (I have one misbehaving module that still needs fixing) and I can make noises with it, is just such a nice feeling. I don't really like software modular, not because it sounds bad but because it's just so vast and using a mouse to patch cables just isn't as fun and plugging them in for real.

It is absolutely a complete waste of time, money and desk space, but I like having it :D
Always Read the Manual!

vurt wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 3:09 pm
Which ones?

im sure there's more.
U-he has one.
Arturia - have some cases and things that can sequence. (I do love that they got into making hardware synths though)
Unfiltered Audio - the closest I see on their website to hardware... is a mug! :hihi:

_leras wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 3:25 pm
vurt wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 3:09 pm
Which ones?

im sure there's more.
U-he has one.
Arturia - have some cases and things that can sequence. (I do love that they got into making hardware synths though)
Unfiltered Audio - the closest I see on their website to hardware... is a mug! :hihi:
uhe showed more at suoerbooth.
ua are in the running.

arturia, he said hardware synths too.
there's the brutes.

vurt wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 12:51 pm and 40 foot patch cables are a trip hazard.
Nah, besides UK, nobody else care about Health&Safety ;) The rest of the world can survive trips over the cable in 99% of cases and usage of electric devices in a bathroom is 200% safe* :D

*Installation of eurorack in bathrooms is recommended by EU H&S ;)

BONES wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 8:07 am Do you do mixing as a separate process? How does that work? I start mixing from the time I add a second instrument, right through until I've rendered a finished master. And if you are mixing as a separate process, what are you doing before you start mixing?
If you're asking me about that, yeah I mostly mix as I go, then do the more detailed stuff at the end. Mostly mixing is easier on touch screens or Push 2 knobs because it's as straightforward as it gets. Even the Mackie doesn't give you the same level of immediate recognition, I always found that you're looking back and forth from the screen to the motorized faders with hardware, whereas the touch screen is immediate. Most DAWs these days have a side window ability with a single fader of the selected track, so it's super quick for volume adjustments to use a touch screen. I've known plenty of people who can't live without the Faderport but to me it's too many useless controls for the single fader and useful solo and mute functions.
Push 2 has full track names and colors for each of it's knobs, they're endless at fader resolution not MIDI, so it's an exception to me hardware wise, you're not glancing back and forth, but it's only really useful with Live, Bitwig and Reaper since no other DAWs I know of have made software for it.

Don't you have a Zenbook with touch? I'm using a Slate Raven 27" with a MacBook Air Hooked up and it's great. I think the reason touch hasn't caught on like it should is people are stupid about it, like it should replace a mouse and keyboard, when it's far far better to use it only for things that it's I dunno? better for. IMO mixing and sound design on a synth with a decent touch friendly GUI are the two areas it's far superior to the mouse.

Ultrabook touch screens have too much friction. Can’t do smooth fades. Does the Raven solve that?

Uncle E wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 5:09 pm Ultrabook touch screens have too much friction. Can’t do smooth fades. Does the Raven solve that?
Well first off it's a 27" screen, but yeah, they only recommend their own screen cleaner which probably has a mild amount of oil in it, dunno? but it doesn't present too much friction. The Ravens also present their own faders for mixing which have a "fine fader" button. Mostly though in practice I just use the the DAWs (in my case DP11), left side track fader with the shift key to get fine adjustments.

There's definitely got to be a way around the friction on an Ultrabook? it's glass isn't it? Any DAW you're using it with should have an option key for fine fader adjustments as well.

Right. Double the size will certainly help. Interesting that the Raven software isn't that useful.

Uncle E wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 5:48 pm Right. Double the size will certainly help. Interesting that the Raven software isn't that useful.
I'm not sure where you're getting that from? I'm just saying in the process of writing, the side fader is good enough, I don't need fine faders or to look at 24 tracks on a screen to adjust the volume of the track I'm currently working on. When you're doing final mixing the Raven software and dedicated mixer is better of course.

Batch commands and other functions of the Raven are pretty cool really. I have one set up to turn off all record enabled tracks for things like orchestral setups with hundreds of tracks, where it's a PITA to search for what track is currently enabled etc. Some of it is probably more useful on PC because if you're on Mac you're probably already using Keyboard Maestro for macro commands to automate things.

PieBerger wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 3:24 pm
pizzatime wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 3:16 pm I prefer Bitwig Grid to all the eurorack I had and I find Zebra HZ which I recently bought more interesting than any hardware synth I have owned.. I honestly don't think we need any more analog synths making now, how many times can we hear variations on a saw wave into a filter.. i really want to splash some cash on one piece of hardware but I can't find anything I find that interesting..
I prefer software for efficiency and convenience, but I like my modest Eurorack case for it's fun factor. I built most of the modules myself, from kits and even sourcing components myself, so the fact it powers on (I have one misbehaving module that still needs fixing) and I can make noises with it, is just such a nice feeling. I don't really like software modular, not because it sounds bad but because it's just so vast and using a mouse to patch cables just isn't as fun and plugging them in for real.

It is absolutely a complete waste of time, money and desk space, but I like having it :D
I agree. Software modulars are horrible to use - apart from Bitwig Grid! It is an absolute joy for me the way you connect things dragging the modules into position and swapping them etc, it is a new way to use modular synths for me using a screen to its advantages rather than fiddly mouse patching.. I really dislike things like VCV and the endless choice of modules. I did build quite a few too and do miss the Serge Resonant filter and things like that but way more productive with software now. Also my case ended up with loads of little screens in it and multi function modules.. was less fun to use than a laptop in the end.

pixel85 wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 4:26 pm
vurt wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 12:51 pm and 40 foot patch cables are a trip hazard.
Nah, besides UK, nobody else care about Health&Safety ;) The rest of the world can survive trips over the cable in 99% of cases and usage of electric devices in a bathroom is 200% safe* :D

*Installation of eurorack in bathrooms is recommended by EU H&S ;)
my bathroom is on a different floor!
thats how safety conscious i am!!!

the trip is fine, its the strangling yourself in the patch when you do trip thats bad!

Return to “Instruments”