UVI Products good?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Alive - UVI Falcon Expansion

Never used any UVI products. What do you think about them? I'm a heavy Spectrasonics user. I'm more into music production. Favorite products by them? Are the sounds good quality? Thanks.

If there is absolutely no doubt in regards to UVI than it´s the sound quality for sure... no matter if Instruments or FX the sound quality is top notch...

PS: Featurewise compared to Spectransonics... I would say where Omnisphere´s possibilities end Falcon just starts to warm up

Trancit wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 7:59 pm If there is absolutely no doubt in regards to UVI than it´s the sound quality for sure... no matter if Instruments or FX the sound quality is top notch...

PS: Featurewise compared to Spectransonics... I would say where Omnisphere´s possibilities end Falcon just starts to warm up
To me, Falcon is definitely more flexible, but it is not nearly as intuitive to work with, and the included sample content isn’t nearly as interesting.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

I like the high quality sound and flexibility of Falcon as well as the soundware that much, that I`ve bought almost everything from them.
For example the Wavetable oscillator of Falcon has a wealth of usable options to choose from. There are at least 7 different phase interpolation options to it which I appreciate because of their different sound.
Almost all Soundware could be fully edited which is a great plus to me but not all (i.e. Attack EP88, EGP Electric Grand, ... ).
Unfortunately UVI does not clearly state that fact on their site.
Nevertheless I also like these two Soundware libraries very much.

zerocrossing wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 8:04 pm To me, Falcon is definitely more flexible, but it is not nearly as intuitive to work with, and the included sample content isn’t nearly as interesting.
Are you including the additional sound libraries or just the Falcon factory samples in that assessment?

i can recommend them too still, the effects are really great, Falcon is a playground for sound design, for my taste a bit cumbersome/deep learning curve but it really is heavy what you can do in there. i think once learned it can nearly outshine a lot of top tier plugins.

btw. if you are interested in some licenses check my WTS i sell a lot of UVI products and can make a custom bundle.
DAW FL Studio Audio Interface Focusrite Scarlett 1st Gen 2i2 CPU Intel i7-7700K 4.20 GHz, RAM 32 GB Dual-Channel DDR4 @2400MHz Corsair Vengeance. MB Asus Prime Z270-K, GPU Gainward 1070 GTX GS 8GB NT Be Quiet DP 550W OS Win10 64Bit

When I first approached Falcon re: sound design, I was intimidated because of all the pages to flip through and the seemingly endless rows of dropdown menus. I definitely had to watch a few YT videos (Venus Theory, etc) to get my head around its intriguing concept. And, as varied as the elements in Falcon are, can you imagine that more and more scripts are developed for it by the community all the time? That actually makes its workflow endless. You really can create your next 10 albums using Falcon alone.
If you can't dazzle 'em with brilliance, baffle 'em with bullshit.

wuworld wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 7:38 pm Never used any UVI products. What do you think about them? I'm a heavy Spectrasonics user. I'm more into music production. Favorite products by them? Are the sounds good quality? Thanks.
I’ve never entirely got on with UVI. IMO the best product on one of their platforms is / was third party - VIR Harmonic’s Bohemian solo strings. Incredible product, but they are moving off the UVI platform to something that seems to suit their product much better.

Falcon seems to be an acquired taste, and I’ve yet to acquire it. The factory library is poor, and browser worse, so it doesn’t lure you in. Spectrasonics design their products for musicians first and foremost, Falcon feels like it was made in an office. I’ve no doubt it can do wonderful and amazing things, but you really do need to put in the hours to do it.

I have Drum Designer with I also didn’t get on with. After a while I sense a trend… these are good products, I just don’t chime with them. The workflow and / or sonics just don’t do it for me.

I think you’d be in a perfect position to subscribe to their new thing for a month or two. Try everything out, just don’t commit to things unless you know what you do and don’t like - you then have the options of carrying on, buying just the useful stuff in sales or just walking away.
http://www.guyrowland.co.uk
http://www.sound-on-screen.com
W10, i7 7820X, 64gb RAM, RME Babyface, 1050ti, PT 2023 Ultimate, Cubase Pro 13
Macbook Air M2 OSX 10.15

No doubt it's high quality.

I have most of UVI's products. They are decent quality. When it comes to acoustic instruments, there are other options out there that sound and function better but the cost is much higher (eg. Spitfire, Orchestral Tools, Evolution Series, etc). UVI's acoustic sample libraries are more about typical playing articulations but with nothing fancy. Sound quality is pretty good.

For the synth libraries, they are really good. IMHO. YMMV. I like what UVI does with they synth libraries. Decent quality for sample libraries. A consistent feature set across products helps for usability. There are constraints however in terms of sound editing. Most rudimentary.

The specialized libraries like the Quadrant products are also very nice and sound really good.

And, their plugins are also high quality. Falcon is its own thing and is very powerful and also good sounding.

So yes... UVI has good products, nice sound, decent functionality, limitations as per all sample libraries so make sure they will work for you before going whole-hog on them.

On paper their products are amazing but I've owned a few over the years ended up selling all of them as I've been disappointed.

For example, in terms of features, Falcon should be the dominant sampler and modular synth in the market, right? It's way more powerful than Zebra, Kontakt, PhasePlant, and Omnisphere, combined. And yet, it's a very niche product at best. The synth engine is quite vanilla, the workflow and UX are bad, the included presets are mediocre, etc.

I'm not a fan of Omnisphere by any means, I don't even own it, but the factory library is lightyears ahead of what Falcon offers. Even when, again, on paper Falcon offers so much more in terms of features.

YMMV of course, I'm just sharing my opinion.

I really like Drum Designer and that's the only one I really use. I also own Digital Synsations and the sound is pretty flat to my ears, Omnisphere blows that one away IMHO. But I don't own Falcon so I can't make a comparison there. Probably demo what you want and see if you think it stacks up to Omnisphere.

Falcon is a useful sampler with some great granular engines. They can get very CPU intensive, though.

I used to really like Digital Synsations, but I think when I got the Arturia synths I just started using that DX7 instead for that kind of thing. The only time I fire up the UVI workstation is for True Cowbells... having said that. I do think the sampler worked as it should, and I would have bought more libraries if I ever noticed them being on sale for cheap enough.

Falcon is great for more complicated pads, drones etc. You can combine multiple sampled sounds and synth oscillators nicely. And the built in effects are great. I don't like the gui for more simple sounds though. If I need a basic bass sound, I'll grab Serum and make it in 2 minutes. Modulations are so much easier to draw with it.

Return to “Instruments”