Have we reached the end of hardware synths with software plug-ins?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

BONES wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 12:59 am
glokraw wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 11:11 am Software use implicitly includes the midi hardware needed to play the notes, and so a midi controller's knobs, sliders, velocity control, aftertouch etc must be included as software 'tactile feel', for argument's sake,
OK, I'll argue because I use none of that in the studio. But even if that is true, and I do use my Lightpad Blocks in the studio, you can buy a decent controller for $100. I paid about $80 each for my Lightpads and I bought a MiniLab for about $100 when it was on sale a few years ago. ( I think my bandmate assumed ownership of it some time ago, I doubt I'll ever see it again.) Or I can use my Uno Pro, which cost me $700. So even there, the cost of a hardware synth is many times greater than the cost of a controller.
Watched some lightpad block videos, very versatile and priced right. Pressure sensitive X-Y for guitar tone, amongst it's toolset! Might fit in for some talented grandkids at Christmas, if I start saving now. When school fails to challenge, music tools sure can. Didn't mean to exclude anything in my pedantics. Thanks for mentioning some cool tools!

BONES wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 12:59 am I could sell my car today for five grand more than I paid for it 4 years ago, when it was brand new. It's crazy but it can't last.
Anything collectible will go up in value. Look for things that are in short supply and recognized by the market as being special or unique. Many examples of this in the guitar pedal market.
I'd say it's a similar situation to Yamaha's CS1x and CS2x, except the only way I could afford the CS2x was to sell the CS1x, which was a really bad decision because the CS2x wasn't really as good, so I ended up selling it (lost about $500 on it in less than a year) and buying another CS1x. Software doesn't force you into those kinds of expensive situations.
Great synth! Underappreciated in its time. They should have left off the XG stuff.

Uncle E wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 3:07 amAnything collectible will go up in value. Look for things that are in short supply and recognized by the market as being special or unique. Many examples of this in the guitar pedal market.
I'd rather pick my tools based on their usefulness to me, not their possible future value. After all, I'm a (really bad) musician, not an investor.
Great synth! Underappreciated in its time. They should have left off the XG stuff.
Yeah, Anx multi-sampled it's Angel Strings preset for Orion's Sampler and that was our go-to string sound for 10 years or more. There was something quite special about the way it sounded, it was just better somehow, but the CS2x lacked whatever quality the "1" possessed. It was kinda flat and boring.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

vurt wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 12:38 pm here's why your opinion is wrong.
ive not worked for years, due to illness, my income is benefits, around 12k a year.
this, i have built up in the past 5 years, as being stuck in the house, most of the time, i like to keep entertained.
Screenshot_2022-05-23-22-06-05-362~2.jpg
and yes, even the bnib collectables have been added in the past 5. only the theremin is older.
Don't understand offencive attitude and bytes of guys like you,sometimes people say something funny and immediately somebody start with some patronizing,sarcastic or whatever not funny attitude.
I'm guitar player and probably never learn piano playing properly,because it's different ,but i adore synthesizers and definitely do more and more interesting stuff with the sound last couple of years.
I have my opinion about soft vs hard ware,witch don't need to b same as yours or somebody else.
Practically imho hardware synthsizers are far behind 'enemy line' hihihihihi man just can't have 100 hardware synths in the room as you can with 100 vst installed on laptop.
Especially if need fast access to many synths when inspiration came and start to produce.
Cheers :)

VELLTONE MUSIC wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 8:12 am Don't understand offencive attitude and bytes of guys like you
It's probably a reaction to your offensive attitude towards people who buy hardware, which in your eyes are only people with "well paid jobs".

Although I don't really see anything offensive in his postings.

It was an unusually strong statement from vurt, who’s posts are usually funny and sarcastic in a friendly way. Still, his point stands.

I might add that vintage synth modules take up little room and are relatively inexpensive. Roland MKS’s and Korg EX-8000 are great sounding synths for not much money. Also the 303 copies from Syntecno, MAM, and Will Systems.

VELLTONE MUSIC wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 8:12 am
ive not worked for years, due to illness, my income is benefits, around 12k a year.
this, i have built up in the past 5 years, as being stuck in the house, most of the time, i like to keep entertained.
and yes, even the bnib collectables have been added in the past 5. only the theremin is older.
Don't understand offencive attitude and bytes of guys like you,sometimes people say something funny and immediately somebody start with some patronizing,sarcastic or whatever not funny attitude.
I'm guitar player and probably never learn piano playing properly,because it's different ,but i adore synthesizers and definitely do more and more interesting stuff with the sound last couple of years.
I have my opinion about soft vs hard ware,witch don't need to b same as yours or somebody else.
Practically imho hardware synthsizers are far behind 'enemy line' hihihihihi man just can't have 100 hardware synths in the room as you can with 100 vst installed on laptop.
Especially if need fast access to many synths when inspiration came and start to produce.
What exactly is offensive about someone on low income who still chooses to buy hardware, because it's what they want to spend their money on? £12k doesn't go a long way in the UK by the way. IIRC vurt is in the north where the cost of living is a bit cheaper, but I suspect that £12k just about covers basic living expenses and that was before 8-10% inflation kicked in. The fact that they can still afford to buy hardware is proof that it's not strictly for "people with well paying jobs". If people want something, for whatever reason, they'll get it by making sacrifices elsewhere in their budget.

If you didn't buy 100s of VSTs you could probably afford a few pieces of hardware yourself, but you choose not to and that's fine, by that doesn't make other people's choices and attitudes offensive...
Always Read the Manual!

i certainly meant no offence.
id use naughty words if i did :shrug:

just trying to help you understand, when you say "just an expensive hobby for people with well paid jobs" it's nothing of the sort.

weirdly, when i did have a decent job, i was more about software, as i didn't have time at home often enough for long enough, to justify it.

like you, started out on guitar, although for me it was always more of an exciter for the fx
straight instruments, bore me to play, clean guitar? no thanks...
im more of a sound artist than a musician, and always have been.
how my tools sound and react, to me and my touch, is important to me.

so as someone said, i make some (small) sacrifices. save up here and there.
i dont own any prestige price instruments, but ive built/am building a studio space, for me

and the bit about collectables was a joke because bones brought it up :)

so, there :P

I have old vehicles, second-hand goodwill clothes (the kids try gifts to tidy me up at the holidays ) cook my own meals, brew my own coffee, and lack expensive consumer addictions, so if I want new gear or software, I'll get it, mostly when on heavy discount. Don't need much more hardware, don't need more sounds, but more time would be greatly appreciated :hyper:

glokraw wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 6:03 pm I have old vehicles, second-hand goodwill clothes (the kids try gifts to tidy me up at the holidays ) cook my own meals, brew my own coffee, and lack expensive consumer addictions, so if I want new gear or software, I'll get it, mostly when on heavy discount. Don't need much more hardware, don't need more sounds, but more time would be greatly appreciated :hyper:
i haven't bought any clothes besides underwear and socks for over 20 years :lol:
i get t-shirts and jumpers/hoodies as gifts, and my jeans are all still in one piece! one of the benefits of not being very mobile i guess.

i won't go in to debt for new gear, i won't even do that at the minute to purchase a mobility scooter as it's finally reached the point where thats necessary. few months saving and ilk be mobile, i can wait.

PieBerger wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 4:22 pm
VELLTONE MUSIC wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 8:12 am
What exactly is offensive about someone on low income who still chooses to buy hardware, because it's what they want to spend their money on? £12k doesn't go a long way in the UK by the way. IIRC vurt is in the north where the cost of living is a bit cheaper, but I suspect that £12k just about covers basic living expenses and that was before 8-10% inflation kicked in. The fact that they can still afford to buy hardware is proof that it's not strictly for "people with well paying jobs". If people want something, for whatever reason, they'll get it by making sacrifices elsewhere in their budget.

If you didn't buy 100s of VSTs you could probably afford a few pieces of hardware yourself, but you choose not to and that's fine, by that doesn't make other people's choices and attitudes offensive...
yup, north west uk. just near liverpool, probably the most known place nearby outside the uk?

re cost of living, yeah we do a lot better than london for example, in the big city's up here, be around 750 for renting a 2 bedroom house in manchester, as i looked in to moving back now grandchildren are happening, in london, it's about 1500.
here its 460 because it's a shitty little northern town with nothing!

vurt wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 6:17 pm yup, north west uk. just near liverpool, probably the most known place nearby outside the uk?
Huh, nearby. I am just outside Chester (across the welsh border where its cheaper!) and eldest daughter at college in Northwich)
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

SLiC wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 6:26 pm
vurt wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 6:17 pm yup, north west uk. just near liverpool, probably the most known place nearby outside the uk?
Huh, nearby. I am just outside Chester (across the welsh border where its cheaper!) and eldest daughter at college in Northwich)
well more specifically, as you might know it, widnes, right next to fiddler's ferry, 5 mins walk from my front door

come through wrexham, frodsham, runcorn, you're here :hihi:

not that anyone wants to be here.

do you have modular as well as synths?

vurt wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 6:30 pm well more specifically, as you might know it, widnes, right next to fiddler's ferry, 5 mins walk from my front door
I know fiddler's ferry well, did a few projects at the power station before it closed!
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

Return to “Instruments”