Mono Pops

Official support for: tx16wx.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hello all. I'm trying unsuccessfully to get a monophonic instrument to play without pops in TX16Wx. I've set the choke group to 1 so that the waveform and AEG will retrigger on each keypress. I've turned off self choke so that notes within the same region don't get silenced. No matter what value I put in for choke fade the stolen note gets cut off abruptly and you hear a pop. You can clearly see this in the output waveform.
waveform_pop.jpg
Same behavior whether Poly Mode is set to Mono, Legato or Poly with Max Polyphony=1. Not sure what to try next. Any suggestions?

I'm using the free version of 3.5.0w in Cubase Pro 11 on Windows 11.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

For a monophonic instrument you usually don't want AEG to retrigger. If this is a flute/synth kinda sound, I would suggest just setting the group to Mono and that is it. The sample will either keep playing, or if it is multiple samples, they will crossfade without retriggering envelopes/lfos. Don't use choke groups with Mono instruments, they are typically for killing a cymbal and similar, they will not play well with trying to maintain a legato.

Is your instrument using any lowpass filters with the Mono instrument? You can try the current 3.6 beta which has a small fix to improve tone continuity with very lowly tuned LPF:s in these situation.
TX16Wx Software Sampler:
http://www.tx16wx.com/

Thanks for the response. The original instrument (ARP ProDGX) retriggers on each keypress. This is important especially for sounds with fast decays, you need the attack portion of each note. It seems to me that Mono mode should work this way. Legato mode should not retrigger if that's the kind of response you're looking for. Does this make sense?

And yes I am using the LPF so I'll check out the beta.

Mono mode in TX makes all notes, whether they are released or not, interrupt and "tone-shift" without retriggering, (i.e. flute). Legato mode makes _held_ notes do the same, but a released note is left playing. The idea being things like multi-string instruments (guitar, viola), with "partial" mono.
It sounds to me like you really just want to set a poly limit to 1 for this instrument, no?
TX16Wx Software Sampler:

I also hear a pop when using poly=1 but it is more subtle, especially in the beta version (with the LPF fix?).

I think the problem is that when you look at the waveform from the actual ProDGX you don't see the amplitude being retriggered between held notes, but when you listen to it you still hear an attack, which sounds like the filter envelope being retriggered.

I'm not sure if it's possible to reproduce that behavior with samples. You would have to sample without the amplitude envelope and then apply it in TX16Wx, but only when there were no held notes. Does mono mode do that? If so I may try to resample the instrument to see if I can get a more accurate reproduction.

First off, please update to latest 3.6.0 build - updated today with new improvements to multi-sample mono/legato mode. Should be guaranteed click-free now.
Second, as I said before, all envelopes are either re-triggered (non-mono), or non-triggered (mono/legato), there is no real way to emulate some sort of hybrid. What you could do however is maybe mapping something like a controller/wheel to for example filter and synch these values with mono note-ons. This is not exactly like a note-on, but maybe close enough.
TX16Wx Software Sampler:

Return to “CWITEC”