AI plugin uses neural networks to generate infinite drum samples - feedback welcome

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

dermage wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 11:24 pm
ai_music_guy wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 10:05 pm
dermage wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 9:39 pm Tried to register, but even after doing it again I'm not getting an email?!

Edit, ok tried another email and it works there
Ok great, I'm glad it eventually worked. If you have a chance, can you DM me the email you tried? Just want to check if there's any bug
It has now arrived, after an hour or so. Maybe it was because of anti spam measures (Greylisting), although I don't have that problem usually.

Anyway, feedback on the plugin itself:

This is a good promising idea, which hasn't been done before. But obviously the interface is lacking control. What I think this product needs is:
- ADSR/sample controls not by clicking the icon, but visible for each element all the time
- ability to save a sample as wave / export to DAW by drag'n'drop
- ability to save single sample as preset within the plugin for later use
- save whole drumset as preset
- ability to generate samples based on a sample (variations)
of course later you can add things like slop / humanization to prevent the machine gun effect. eg. change the sample a little bit on each hit.

When you have these features it is a good distinct product already which can be built upon.
this is fantastic feedback, thank you. i pasted it to the whole team for discussion. the exporting and dragging out of a sample are new ideas, much appreciated. the others are already in development, so we will be really near your vision for it in a few weeks. :party:

ai_music_guy wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 11:46 pm
dermage wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 11:24 pm
ai_music_guy wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 10:05 pm
dermage wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 9:39 pm Tried to register, but even after doing it again I'm not getting an email?!

Edit, ok tried another email and it works there
Ok great, I'm glad it eventually worked. If you have a chance, can you DM me the email you tried? Just want to check if there's any bug
It has now arrived, after an hour or so. Maybe it was because of anti spam measures (Greylisting), although I don't have that problem usually.

Anyway, feedback on the plugin itself:

This is a good promising idea, which hasn't been done before. But obviously the interface is lacking control. What I think this product needs is:
- ADSR/sample controls not by clicking the icon, but visible for each element all the time
- ability to save a sample as wave / export to DAW by drag'n'drop
- ability to save single sample as preset within the plugin for later use
- save whole drumset as preset
- ability to generate samples based on a sample (variations)
of course later you can add things like slop / humanization to prevent the machine gun effect. eg. change the sample a little bit on each hit.

When you have these features it is a good distinct product already which can be built upon.
this is fantastic feedback, thank you. i pasted it to the whole team for discussion. the exporting and dragging out of a sample are new ideas, much appreciated. the others are already in development, so we will be really near your vision for it in a few weeks. :party:
Sounds great. I also joined your discord now.
Drag'N'drop is in samplers like Atlas or generators like Kick2 implemented for example.
I'm excited for slop/humanization, since I don't like most/all implementations of this currently.
In TRIAZ/Drumvolution it is fairly simple and mostly not sounding good. In Atlas it is not easy to use/get good results etc. So hopefully this could be solved, then your product could even be used as a straight sampler.
Later you could also add a browser, I dislike the approaches by XO/Atlas with the big map of samples, but actually for your product this would be perfect to generate/view similar samples or generate new ones based on near samples.
And what's funny, your product is the first product which really is AI, not just Bayesian mathematics etc. what most AI labeled products actually only do.

Heya - I'm not getting any audio output in Logic on MacOS 12.4, on my Macbook Pro M1 running in Rosetta. I get spiked meters in the 700+ dB range, but cannot hear anything.
My Youtube Channel - Wires Dream Disasters :: My Band - Tacoma Narrows Bridge Disaster
Product owner working for inMusic Brands - posting here in a personal capacity, but I will assist with any BFD related questions - hit me up!

AstraMP3 wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 9:20 pm Tried this out, and absolutely incredible for experimental music. A lot of these are sounds that I haven't heard in anything before. +1
That's exactly what I'm interested in with this new approach to creating sounds, getting novel and unheard sounds.

Or on the other hand, to get tiny variations of the same sound to feed the round robin function of my sampler.

I can't wait to try it!

Unbelievably, this is very similar to a project I'm trying to get going with a pal. GAN network, trained with drums.. I'm even looking at unusual ways we can exploit the GAN audio brain itself.

I got the beta, great start! Although, after seemingly random amounts of time the output dies, or rather, Logic stops listening to it - there is still output from the instrument, visible in EQs and comps after the plugin, but Logic goes silent. It sounds like a massive DC offset and my scope visualiser catches it as well.

The output sounds very much like the output of our GAN brain, with this kind of 'tone' imparted into the output samples. Something to do with the number of iterations the brain made of the input samples.. our 8Khz engine suffered quite badly from this.

Yay! I had similiar idea...

...but gave it up :hihi:
Blog ------------- YouTube channel
Tricky-Loops wrote: (...)someone like Armin van Buuren who claims to make a track in half an hour and all his songs sound somewhat boring(...)

DJ Warmonger wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 10:40 am Yay! I had similiar idea...

...but gave it up :hihi:
The-guy-I'm-working-with-who-does-the machine-learning-stuff's interest in the project ebbs and flows, and will be difficult to hold his attention until gfx cards come down in price. We've been working on it for a few years now, and things have got in the way, but I'm not going to let it die! This particular thing we've built is still, as far as I can tell, quite unique, even with this Synapse device in the field, so I reeeeaaally want to develop it further.

I should stress to the Synapse dev that we wouldn't be direct competition!

Will this be subscription only?

If I wanted to record a Youtube episode about this one, what is the expected release date?
Blog ------------- YouTube channel
Tricky-Loops wrote: (...)someone like Armin van Buuren who claims to make a track in half an hour and all his songs sound somewhat boring(...)

The sound generation does generate a lot of unusual sounds, not many are actual kicks and snares. But as a sound generator, it does work well.

- Panning per cell is a must for a drum plug-in.
- So is multi-out-put.
- The ability to reverse samples would be nice
- Undo is not working at all. If it were working, it would be nice to have a history drop-down list per cell to select one of the last ten iterations.
- a global generate button (like the dice in poly plex). In addition, lock individual cells to keep them in their state.
- A live mode for the generative music folks. Generate to samples in the background and have them change after x number of bars in each selected cell.

CinningBao wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 10:26 am Unbelievably, this is very similar to a project I'm trying to get going with a pal. GAN network, trained with drums.. I'm even looking at unusual ways we can exploit the GAN audio brain itself.

I got the beta, great start! Although, after seemingly random amounts of time the output dies, or rather, Logic stops listening to it - there is still output from the instrument, visible in EQs and comps after the plugin, but Logic goes silent. It sounds like a massive DC offset and my scope visualiser catches it as well.

The output sounds very much like the output of our GAN brain, with this kind of 'tone' imparted into the output samples. Something to do with the number of iterations the brain made of the input samples.. our 8Khz engine suffered quite badly from this.
Sorry about the issues you're having - are you willing to share your OS w/version, and DAW w/version? A future build will help us debug easier, but for now we have to use wetware :cry:

Re: your GAN project, that's very cool. I'd love to compare notes if you're up for it.

atukao wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 11:06 am Will this be subscription only?
Yes - since we have model serving costs, we have to use a subscription model once we launch. We're thinking through how a free version might work, perhaps by asking users to help tag sounds, but that's a least a few months out after release.

We've also looked into bundling the models with the plugin to remove the model serving costs, but it's not feasible in the short term bc it'd be a significant reworking of our tech.

DJ Warmonger wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 11:30 am If I wanted to record a Youtube episode about this one, what is the expected release date?
That'd be epic. We dont have a hard release date yet since we're so early into the beta, but I'd expect it to be mid- to late-July. Our main goal right now is getting at least 10 active testers across every slice of config: OS (mac, windows, linux), architecture (e.g. pre-M1, post-M1, etc), and major DAW.

I should mention we're setting up affiliate codes for anyone that wants to help us spread the word - if you're interested in that, pls DM me and I'll set you up

Tried it out for a bit in Reaper, didn`t crash or anything like that. It`s really good for midrange sounds, loved the claps, snares are also pretty good. Kicks and hihats not so much. Overall has very noisy/grungy character, especially can be heard in decay and that really hurts how hihats sound.
Would be nice to have a pitch control. Maybe also pitch envelope slider, going from center to left to pitch down/ center right to pitch up.
Probably something that`s already known, but playhead in sample window doesn`t retrigger in time with midi note. Also for my needs it would be enough just having 1 pad, no need for 16.
Overall I like it, already rendered a few wavs for my one-shot collection so thank you for making this and good luck in developing it further.

two things after testing

Needs drag and drop audio
reduce the amount of sample rate/bits......it makes almost every sample sound as though they have unwanted transients. The bit effect is cool, but something is happening with the sample rate that has a high ping

Return to “Instruments”