An Experiment in Spareness

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

https://soundcloud.com/user-871652166/f ... es-at-dawn

I like the idea of less notes....
Is this to few, I dont know.....

There's one good way to distinguish when the "less-notes" approach is a noobish mistake, and when it's a solid minimalism - to listen to minimalists like Philip Glass, Vladimir Martynov etc.

I think this one is much closer to minimalism ;)
I like it.
And the mix is good too.

Hi PatchAdamz,
This is not too few.
The melody line is solid, and the vibe is so peaceful and relaxing.
Lovely guitar playing, I am being transported to a very calming environment.
Thank you for this recording.
Rene

It's like the guitar version of the Berlin school where the "rhythm" is done by the guitar. All the effects add the spice. It has a lovely hollow feel to it.
Well done!
:)
Bandcamp
Music with progressive intent.

This is so pretty and peaceful. Good job!

I have to say, one of the biggest challenges I have as a musician is to know how to make a tune be "still".
Some of the best ambient music does this.

The natural action of the mind it to think in terms of "moving forward" with drums and melody, but some artist get past that, and create music that gets "outside time".

I have heard those who have practiced meditation call this the monkey mind, it doesn't want to stop moving.

Its an interesting concept, "stopping the mind", especially when making music.
Still trying to figure it out.....(Or maybe that's the problem)

It absolutely works for me - nicely restrained but still has its own gentle flow.

Nowadays, I tend to rough draft / initially sketch out pieces very quickly and a big part of revising and redrafting is often focused on attempts to reduce the melodic content down to the important / essential notes! :)
Last edited by ChameleonMusic on Thu Jun 30, 2022 8:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mark Taylor, Chameleon Music - Professional composition and sound design for all media since 1994.

https://www.chameleonmusic.co.uk/

:tu:

I'm getting David Sylvian vibes from this one. Specifically, some of the tracks on his 1986 release - "Gone to Earth". The main riff is very pleasant, but the little embellishments really enhance the atmosphere on here.

Good work :)

Medvedium wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 9:42 am There's one good way to distinguish when the "less-notes" approach is a noobish mistake, and when it's a solid minimalism - to listen to minimalists like Philip Glass, Vladimir Martynov etc.

I think this one is much closer to minimalism ;)
I like it.
And the mix is good too.
Well thats as fine a compliment as I can image!

I grew up on minimalism, seen Philip Glass, Steve Reich, John Cage etc (got to meet him) a number of times.

Love that music :tu:

Rene Asologuitar wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 10:15 pm Hi PatchAdamz,
This is not too few.
The melody line is solid, and the vibe is so peaceful and relaxing.
Lovely guitar playing, I am being transported to a very calming environment.
Thank you for this recording.
Rene
Thank you so much for taking the time to give your feedback.

Its much appreciated :) !

I enjoyed this very much. Very effective minimalism. A bit low-mid heavy but otherwise it sounds fantastic. I think with minimal composition, there can an impulse to somehow fill the frequency spectrum, despite sparse instrumentation. In any case, I thought it remained engaging though out and the flow of sporadic flourishes complimented the main guitar part quite well.
Thanks for sharing!

When Mozart asked the king what he thought of his song,
the king said: "Very nice, very nice - but too many notes!"

Well, you will definitely not reap this criticism from the
king. It is a beautiful minimalistic composition whose forte
is contemplative meditative rapture. Wonderful! :tu:
free mp3s + info: andy-enroe.de songs + weird stuff: enroe.de

enjoyed it very much

A beautiful piece, very calming. The sparseness of notes does not stand out, I didn't notice it. The piece completely flows.

Return to “Music Cafe”